No announcement yet.

How to deflee or debug pigs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ll ask the buzzards what they do at our place and let you know what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never ran across fleas on any of the hogs I’ve killed & processed.

The other bugs asked about are lice. I just blasted them off with the hose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I'm itching just reading this.....

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
          I'm itching just reading this.....
          Me too... ugh. Guess I'd better buy some 100% deet before I go stickingany hogs with my recurve.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
            I hate when pigs “flee”!!
            Chew already pointed that out.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
              I have never ran across fleas on any of the hogs I’ve killed & processed.

The other bugs asked about are lice. I just blasted them off with the hose.

Yep, all the pigs we used to kill down in south Texas in the 80s and 90s, I don't remember a single flea, only ticks, those are slow and easy to deal with. Same with coyotes I used to shoot back in the 80s and 90s, I don't remember those being covered with fleas either. But I killed probably 40 plus coyotes on a place I used to live about five years ago, that were all covered with fleas and lice. I really wanted to skin them, some I did. I got fleas all over me then too. Our yard wound up flea infested, my wife told me never bring any more of those coyotes back to the house. It took us a long time to get the fleas out of the yard, where I had skinned about five coyotes.

So this was my first time in over 20 years to get to go back down to south Texas and shoot pigs and they were all covered with fleas and lice, just like all those coyotes I killed at the house. Ticks, I can deal with they move slow, fleas I don't want any part of.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                Chew already pointed that out.
                I must have missed that.

Comment

Dawn will cover the bugs in a film thus they can't breath and suffocate.

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                    Dawn will cover the bugs in a film thus they can't breath and suffocate.

That’s interesting, how are you applying it?

Comment

spray bottle with a few drops of dawn in water. just cover the animal in the suds then wait about 15-20 min. then rinse it off

Comment

Originally posted by coker737 View Post
                        And Buzzards and other Pigs
                        the dang buzzards and varmints don't even touch them at my place in Rocksprings !

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
                          Spray bottle with rubbing alcohol.
                          This. We have been doing it for years and kills fleas and ticks on contact then evaporates. No worries about getting something on the meat. Spray down before handling, then you are good to go.

Comment

Most likely lice.

Comment

I use Dawn liquid soap on deer. I would imagine it would work the same on fleas....maybe. Spray the hide down real good with a pump sprayer full of Dawn/Water. Wait about fifteen minutes. It should suffocate whatever is living on the hide.

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                                Let the coyotes pick them off.

Comment

Working...
                                X