Tractor oil question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor oil question.

Changed oil in a small ford tractor, for FIL today.
    Oil drained was black, looked fine/normal. Oil filter was full of white white milky fluid, just like when you get water in the engine.
    What gives?
    Did a little googling but came up empty.
    Possible blockage to the filter?
    It is 100% the engine oil filter I'm talking about.

Does the tractor stay outdoors?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
      Does the tractor stay outdoors?
      About 50/50 between the shop, and out on the property.

Comment

Is there any milky oil on the underside of the oil fill cap? Or anything in the coolant?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
          Is there any milky oil on the underside of the oil fill cap? Or anything in the coolant?
          Negative, those were the first things I checked. Coolant is good, dipstick covered in black oil, No white or discolored oil around the fill cap. No engine oil leaks anywhere.
          If oil is cycling through the filter, there would have to be discoloration in the oil drained.
          Don't see how there couldn't be.
          So if it's not cycling through the filter, obviously the PRV is working but I can't see anything wrong with filter other than the liquid in it.
          Sump screen clogged?

Comment

I would run it for about a hour and pull the filter again and see what it looks like.

Comment

Water in oil - Water condensation in cold air or combustion gases: this phenomenon is extremely rare and only occurs at specific temperatures.
              Water in the oil - Coolant leak due to non-watertight seal (cylinder head gasket, etc.). If this happens, there is a leak and water is getting into the oil.

Comment

Think what happens to garage floors a month or 2 ago...Sweat due to cold concrete/warm humid air///..Happens and goes unnoticed cause when motor starts and heats up its gone...
                But do keep eye on it cause it could be something worse as mentioned above...

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                  Water in oil - Water condensation in cold air or combustion gases: this phenomenon is extremely rare and only occurs at specific temperatures.
                  Water in the oil - Coolant leak due to non-watertight seal (cylinder head gasket, etc.). If this happens, there is a leak and water is getting into the oil.
                  I know all about water in oil, headgaskets blowing, etc.. Drained many a Honda 3 wheeler engine, and diff, after drowning them, trucks as well.
                  In every instance, water in the oil is noticeable, whether it's motor oil, or gear oil.
                  The drained oil, has ZERO water in it.
                  Only the oil filter has milky, oily fluid in it.

Comment

Condensation. Just check it ever so often

Comment

gasoline or diesel

Comment

I hate to sound like a smart a, but did you change the right filter?
                        Hydraulic filters sometimes get milky
                        Just asking

Comment

Working...
                        X