Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impromptu New Mexico camping trip advise.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a little help from the green screen. Thought I was gonna have to work the 5th and 6th. Now I’m off the 4th thru the 8th. Wife want to go camping in the mountains and take the ranger to do a little trail riding. I’ve never done this in New Mexico. Any and all advise is appreciated. Tent camping with young kids. Close to the truck and some trail riding in with my ranger crew 800. Looking around Ruidoso, NM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just dont ride the ohv on the highway. Sorry I dont have any more than that.

Comment

There’s not a lot of riding to do in the area that I’ve found. The road past Bonito Lake turns into a forest service road that you can cruise quite a ways down. That’s about the only decent road/trail I’ve found. Most everything else is pretty short.

Comment

Red River has quite a few more options for trail riding if you’re willing to drive a bit more.

Comment

Everything I’ve looked at so far says 50” or less my ranger is 60”. And we’re definitely open to other areas if you know of something. Just want to get my girls out in the fresh air for a few days.

Comment

red river area, and get your OHV permit also

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
              Everything I’ve looked at so far says 50” or less my ranger is 60”. And we’re definitely open to other areas if you know of something. Just want to get my girls out in the fresh air for a few days.

Red River has a lot more UTV friendly trails than Ruidoso. Just snag your OHV permit and you’re set.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                Red River has a lot more UTV friendly trails than Ruidoso. Just snag your OHV permit and you’re set.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Be prepared for wet weather. Monsoon season may bring daily showers.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    Be prepared for wet weather. Monsoon season may bring daily showers.

Good thinking. I hadn’t thought of that.

Comment

I'll second Red River. We took a couple of ATVs up in that area two years ago and had a lot of fun between Mora and the Taos area our first day, but Red River seemed to have a lot more options. Bring a jacket. High elevations will still be chilly at times.

Comment

45* lows in the morning I might go into rut.

Comment

I have really enjoyed Cloud Croft. Miles and miles of forest road.

Comment

OHV permit taken care of. Anyone got any advice on fishing? My kids were insistent that it was impossible to go camping and not fish. I know zilch about trout fishing.

Comment

Trout magnets worked for us. Make sure you use tiny tiny hooks and light line. The dough bait works well also but buy that local after you see what the locals are catching them on. Those are some tasty fish cooked in butter.

Comment

Working...
                              X