Turnips and Radishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turnips and Radishes

Looks like my turnips, radishes, wheat, oats and other stuff are enjoying this rain and colder weather. Hoping I missed the army worms this year. It's currently 38 degrees in Cisco and hoping this weather will knock the worms out.
    Attached Files

Looks good. I didn't have any luck getting deer to eat turnips or radishes.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      Looks good. I didn't have any luck getting deer to eat turnips or radishes.
      I've done turnips for the last 5-6 years and it took awhile for them to figure out what they were. Won't touch them until late season after we've had a couple of good freezes. Then they will get into them. The radishes are a new thing this year. My son read where it didn't have to freeze before the leaves became palatable to the deer, so as cheap as they were, thought we'd give em a try.

Comment

Looks great....can I ask when you planted?

Comment

Wow, what a great looking plot.

I just planted a long turn row in a three clover blend plus a little alfalfa and cowpeas. Should be up and going within a week or so. I have plenty of moisture and hopefully a few days of sun with the front passing through.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
            Looks great....can I ask when you planted?
            It was the third weekend in September. Sat there for almost 2 weeks with no rain on it. Finally got 3 good rains and it's taken off.

Comment

NICE.
              I see the turnips, but where are the radishes?

Comment

We plant them in Missouri and after the first freeze the deer tear them up.

Comment

Looks good, if I were a deer, I would eat it

Comment

Never had any luck with turnips but I'll admit I only planted them a couple times. Daikon radishes will get eaten to the ground plenty quick though on my place.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                      NICE.
                      I see the turnips, but where are the radishes?
                      They're in there. I had to take a good luck this weekend to figure out the difference between the two. It appears that the radishes are a little lighter in color and the leaves have slits or slots in them as best as I can describe it. The turnips are a little darker in color and bigger leafed. I'm told that when mature, the radishes will be taller than the turnips. Any of you experts feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Never seen radishes before except in the grocery store. The first pic is a radish, I think, the second is a turnip.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Great looking food plot

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                          I've done turnips for the last 5-6 years and it took awhile for them to figure out what they were. Won't touch them until late season after we've had a couple of good freezes. Then they will get into them. The radishes are a new thing this year. My son read where it didn't have to freeze before the leaves became palatable to the deer, so as cheap as they were, thought we'd give em a try.

I had much more luck when I planted radishes last year like you said. Same results with turnips as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They're in there. I had to take a good luck this weekend to figure out the difference between the two. It appears that the radishes are a little lighter in color and the leaves have slits or slots in them as best as I can describe it. The turnips are a little darker in color and bigger leafed. I'm told that when mature, the radishes will be taller than the turnips. Any of you experts feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Never seen radishes before except in the grocery store. The first pic is a radish, I think, the second is a turnip.

Correct the the radishes are segmented leaves like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the ID. I have some popping up right now. And want to be able to identify the radishes.

Comment

Working...
                              X