Arrow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow question

I hope this isn't going to be too long of a read. And I think I know the answer already (Go shoot a bunch of different kinds, and see), but I'd still like to through it out there for some input.

I've switched from wheel bow (which I shot for over 20 years), to a long bow which I love! I'm shooting 49lbs @28". My shooting has been indoors at various ranges, usually 7, 10, 15 & 20 yards. And a 3D course. I also shoot instinctive.

I started shooting Gold tip traditional arrows, (GPI 7.8) 600 spine, w/ 175 grain tips. I was shooting pretty well w/ them, then swathed to Warriors (GPI 5.7) w/ 175 grain tips, and shot better. Both arrows are full length, not cut. I used to shoot 28" arrows w/ my wheel bow, FYI.

All of that to ask is, How much of a factor does GPI play? My Warrior arrows seemed to shot flatter for me. So that got me wondering.

I'm looking at ordering more arrows, but not sure what route to take? How much of a factor would it be if I went to a 500 spine, and cut the length? Drop to 150 grain field point?

Thanks for your input!

Arrow question

GPI doesn’t really mean squat, unless you are trying to work up a high FOC arrow.

Generally, and only up to a certain point, a heavier arrow is better for hunting because you will have more momentum and better penetration on critters. A total arrow weight in the 9-11gpp (not gpi) range is a great hunting weight arrow. If you are only target shooting, then a lighter arrow with flatter trajectory makes perfect sense.

Good tune is more important than anything, no matter what you are shooting at!!!!!!

In answer to your last question, a .500 spine arrow that is well tuned would work great.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks Bisch!

Comment

If you are shooting great with 600’s and 175 grain points and buy 500’s and cut em down with a lighter point They will be too stiff. Stick with what works! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
          If you are shooting great with 600’s and 175 grain points and buy 500’s and cut em down with a lighter point They will be too stiff. Stick with what works! Good luck.

Ken is 100% correct on that one. A .500 is stiffer than a .600, so if you went to the .500, you would probably need it longer and/or with more point weight.

Bisch

Comment

I agree with all that has been posted, but;

The heavier arrow you posted is under 9 gpp and the lighter arrow is under 8 gpp, at least according to my math. So in that case I would recommend shooting at least the heavier arrow and possibly thinking about building an arrow over 9gpp, but could probably be happy with the almost 9 gpp of your heavier arrow.

Also what kind of longbow are you shooting? there can be a difference in spine needed on depending on bow type

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              I agree with all that has been posted, but;

The heavier arrow you posted is under 9 gpp and the lighter arrow is under 8 gpp, at least according to my math. So in that case I would recommend shooting at least the heavier arrow and possibly thinking about building an arrow over 9gpp, but could probably be happy with the almost 9 gpp of your heavier arrow.

Also what kind of longbow are you shooting? there can be a difference in spine needed on depending on bow type
              It’s a Sarrels Yukon.

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                It’s a Sarrels Yukon.
                I'm not familiar with that bow, is it a reflex deflex, or more of a hill Style or?

Also is it cut to Center or close to it?

Comment

hill style, yes a center cut

Comment

It’s a D shaped bow, but not Hill style.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      It’s a D shaped bow, but not Hill style.

Bisch

Thanks for the correction!

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                        I hope this isn't going to be too long of a read. And I think I know the answer already (Go shoot a bunch of different kinds, and see), but I'd still like to through it out there for some input.

I've switched from wheel bow (which I shot for over 20 years), to a long bow which I love! I'm shooting 49lbs @28". My shooting has been indoors at various ranges, usually 7, 10, 15 & 20 yards. And a 3D course. I also shoot instinctive.

I started shooting Gold tip traditional arrows, (GPI 7.8) 600 spine, w/ 175 grain tips. I was shooting pretty well w/ them, then swathed to Warriors (GPI 5.7) w/ 175 grain tips, and shot better. Both arrows are full length, not cut. I used to shoot 28" arrows w/ my wheel bow, FYI.

All of that to ask is, How much of a factor does GPI play? My Warrior arrows seemed to shot flatter for me. So that got me wondering.

I'm looking at ordering more arrows, but not sure what route to take? How much of a factor would it be if I went to a 500 spine, and cut the length? Drop to 150 grain field point?

Thanks for your input!
                        I have both the trads and warriors and I think the warriors fly better but keep buying the trads because they look prettier...smh

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X