No announcement yet.

2020 catfish thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just trying to take care of my brothers and sisters. But if you don't already know, consider the following rule changes on jug lines. I did post a thread on this topic a while back. And also participated in the on-line survey, for what little that was worth.

For those building jugs or about to, just for clarity, new rules on "passive" fishing went into effect Feb 1st, 2020 that affects jug line legality along with trot-lines and other forms of "passive" fishing. Jugs or buoys must be a minimum of 3" in diameter and a minimum of 6" long. Your TP&W "customer number" may be used in lew of your personal info. Gear tag dates are only good for 6 days now instead of 10 days, as in the past.

Both the TP&W websight and the TP&W app have not been updated yet. But the TP&W Commission passed these rules late this past fall. The info is in the web sight. But you have to search for it.

Edit: found the link:

News & MediaNews Releases TPW Commission Approves Regulation Changes for Freshwater Trotlines and Other Related Gears

Nov. 7, 2019

Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030

News Image Share on Facebook Share Release URL
    Note: This item is more than three months old. Please take the publication date into consideration for any date references.
    AUSTIN – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved changes to the regulations on passive fishing gear (jug lines, minnow traps, perch traps, throwlines, and trotlines) to facilitate the removal of abandoned gear from public waters, make the presence of passive fishing gear identifiable to all users of public waters, and minimize the unintended take of aquatic resources.
    Before approving the proposed changes, commissioners, in response to public input, reduced the valid period for gear tags from 10 days to six days (instead of the proposed four) to shorten the time between angler inspections of their gear and reduce the negative impacts of abandoned passive fishing gear in Texas public waters. Scientific investigations conducted by the department show that fish mortalities as a result of “ghost fishing” (the continuing of effect of unattended passive gears) can increase after four days. Such devices can continue to fish and represent a danger to fish and other aquatic organisms when they are abandoned. Requiring the gear tag and the accompanying gear to be checked more frequently than 10 days should reduce those unintended mortalities.
    “Current regulations do not require the removal of the fishing device from the water when the date period on gear tags needs to be updated. Reducing the number of days from 10 to six will not change that, but it does require the angler to check the gear and retain or release any resource that is caught,” said Jarret Barker, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Assistant Commander for Fisheries Enforcement. “The device can remain in the water while the gear tag is updated.”
    In addition to the changes in the length of the valid period for gear tags, changes were made to information required to be displayed on the gear tag. Anglers were given the option of including the 12-digit customer number from their license instead of their address.
    “This allows some anonymity so someone can set out their gear without disclosing their personal information to other anglers while still allowing game wardens to identify the gear’s owner by using their customer number,” Barker said.
    Other approved changes add the requirement that minnow traps, throwlines, and trotlines have floats attached to aid in distinguishing active fishing gear from abandoned fishing gear and litter. All floats used on juglines, minnow traps, throwlines, and trotlines must be at least 6 inches in length and not less than 3 inches in width. For these four gears, floats for recreational anglers can be any color other than orange, while commercial fishing license holders will be required to use orange-colored floats.
    These changes will go into effect on February 1, 2020.

Here's an artical on it from another journalist. https://www.dailytrib.com/2019/12/05...rotline-rules/

"After a period of public comments, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission approved changes to trotline regulations during its November meeting.
    Under the new rules, which go into effect February 1, 2020, anglers using trotlines or similar passive fishing gear, must check the equipment every six days instead of the current 10 days.
    Originally, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department officials had recommended the gear inspections, along with tag validations, should happen every four days. But the commission, after taking public comments, adopted the six-day requirement.
    TPWD officials wanted to reduce the period between checks of passive gear because scientific research by the department showed that fish deaths can increase after four days.
    Requiring the gear tag and accompanying gear to be checked more frequently should reduce unintended mortalities.
    “Current regulations do not require the removal of the fishing device from the water when the date period on the gear tags needs to be updated. Reducing the number of days from 10 to six will not change that, but it does require the angler check the gear and retain or release any resource that is caught,” said Jarret Barker, TPWD assistant commander of fisheries enforcement. “The device can remain in the water while the gear tag is updated.”
    Anglers can also use their 12-digit customer number from their fishing license instead of their address for identification purposes on the fishing gear.
    “This allows some anonymity so someone can set out their gear without disclosing their personal information to other anglers while still allowing game wardens to identify the gear’s owner by using their customer number,” Barker said.
    Also approved was the requirement that minnow traps, throwlines, and trotlines have floats attached to aid in distinguishing active fishing gear from abandoned fishing gear and litter. All floats used on juglines, minnow traps, throwlines, and trotlines must be at least 6 inches in length and not less than 3 inches in width. For these four types of gear, floats for recreational anglers can be any color other than orange, while commercial fishing license holders will be required to use orange-colored floats."
    Last edited by Texas Grown; 03-01-2020, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Texas

Comment

Yep Michael, these jerks on the Commission actually get paid with Taxpayers dollars to sit up there in Austin and try to think up more rules to make it more difficult to enjoy the outdoors in our great state!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Yep Michael, these jerks on the Commission actually get paid with Taxpayers dollars to sit up there in Austin and try to think up more rules to make it more difficult to enjoy the outdoors in our great state!!
          Preach!!!.
          It's gets so old!

Comment

Has anyone measured the standard size fun noodles to see if they're 3" in diameter? I forgot about this change.

Thank you so much TPWD...

Comment

We busted some nice blues off the beach at Canyon lake this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey MadHatter, when you are hand fishing for bigguns, what rod/reel/line do you like to use? I've caught a LOT of big cats, but always on trot-lines... Always wanted to tie into one of those big flatheads or blue cats... I've caught enough of them on trot-lines that I can tell what kind of cat it is before I ever see it, and in most cases, estimate within 4-5 pounds of what it will weigh from how it fights... Would LOVE to hang into one on rod n reel!!

Comment

These 4 weighed 214#... 56, 66, 48 and 44 pounds each, all caught on one running of 2 lines... live perch on 4/0 Eagle Claw hooks on a line floated 1/2 way between the bottom and surface of 18 feet of water...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big catfish from the '80's-0005.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	24609554

Don't take many when they're big to be a wheel barrow full of fish!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Big catfish from the '80's-0006.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	24609555

Comment

This just takes a lot of the fun out of it and adds more work. I don't mind putting an id on my line, but a float? I fish the Colorado river a lot and I usually use throw lines of 1-3 hooks per line. Many times I tie the line underwater because people will steal fish off your lines. I quit marking my lines years ago because people would just take the line and the fish.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                      I don’t do much jug lining anymore. A tip especially if you do it at night, buy some reflective tape and put a wrap or two on your jugs. Easy to find them with a spot light.
                      We did this years ago on Toledo, you could see them from across the lake. I ended up picking them up when they drifted into a boat lane, you couldn’t tell the buoys from noodles, thought somebody was going to get killed running over a stump. We moved into a cove and chased those things around all night, had a blast.

Comment

Hey MadHatter, when you are hand fishing for bigguns, what rod/reel/line do you like to use? I've caught a LOT of big cats, but always on trot-lines... Always wanted to tie into one of those big flatheads or blue cats... I've caught enough of them on trot-lines that I can tell what kind of cat it is before I ever see it, and in most cases, estimate within 4-5 pounds of what it will weigh from how it fights... Would LOVE to hang into one on rod n reel!!
                        50lb Ande tied to some 30lb Fins, fishing a Santee Cooper Rig 90% of the time.
                        For reels I run some Curados, Lexas, Tranx, NaCl, Revo Beast, an a couple Komodo SS, in 300 & 400 sizes.
                        Run a bunch of older 6500s & 7000s from time to time.
                        I much prefer the LP baitcasters.
                        Rods are all over the place as well.
                        Most are 7' - 9', MH to HVY, fast action, no glass.

Comment

WOW, that's pretty small equipment for where I'd have to fish...(well maybe except the 6500/7000's). My lakes are full of brush/stumps and I'd need something to be able to turn a big fish I think... Do you fish on the bottom or suspended? We always caught our best fish this time of year Feb/early March) fishing on the flats away from rivers/creeks and mid-water column... (mostly Livingston but some Lake Houston and Rayburn).

Comment

We set some out on Livingston this weekend. Half with liver others with live goldfish. Left them out overnight. Ended up boxing 7 up to about 8 lbs. pretty slow but it was good to get out. Click image for larger version

Name:	60477500230__C0EC8E5D-B5D8-4AAD-B980-F347E03A6E98.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	24609578Click image for larger version

Name:	60477500230__C0EC8E5D-B5D8-4AAD-B980-F347E03A6E98.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	24609578

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

While I don't necessarily disagree, seems to me marking your lines with decent sized colorful noodles and such is a good idea for the safety of boaters everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                                Has anyone measured the standard size fun noodles to see if they're 3" in diameter? I forgot about this change.

Thank you so much TPWD...
                                I just measured the bigger size and they are 3 inches. All the ones I’ve made in the past would be illegal now

Comment

Working...
                                X