2020 catfish thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TylerDale View Post
    I’m convinced that there isn’t a bait “too big” for a yellow. I’ve caught an 8lb yellow with a 1lb channel cat sticking out of its mouth. They are voracious, greedy pigs.
    Yep. The size of some of the bullheads & small carp/buffalo I've seen guys use in the midwest & up north on YouTube is insane.

Comment

The other thing you can do with the bigger perch is cut 'em in half and bait with them. Not the best for big op's but big blues love cut perch. I love a red perch or goggle eye about 3 fingers big for op bait the best. Bream will work, but it's not the best, and male bream are better than females in my experience. A polywog (mud cat) is also real good bait.

Comment

2020 catfish thread

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
        The other thing you can do with the bigger perch is cut 'em in half and bait with them. Not the best for big op's but big blues love cut perch. I love a red perch or goggle eye about 3 fingers big for op bait the best. Bream will work, but it's not the best, and male bream are better than females in my experience. A polywog (mud cat) is also real good bait.

Thank you sir, screen shot your post for reference.

Line was empty but for one striper, who was dead. Pulled the line up and moved it to a bit shallower water down river.
        Last edited by cwbrown; 05-19-2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbrown View Post
          24 hour soak with whatever bait was left in there.

Headed out this afternoon to check yesterday’s baits and punch the time card on 24 of these guys.

Some of the perch are fairly large, would there be to big of perch for yellow cats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yepp, you just sold me on the perch trap. Going to try to buy one ASAP.

Comment

Man o Man what a rodeo I went through yesterday,

I get to my line and slowly start pulling it up, wouldn't you know there is a yellow cat 2 hooks in, barely legal but my first!

Further down the line I pull this monster largemouth, took a couple quick pics and watched her kick away strong.

Other them some chewed on perch that was all I had on my line and when the rodeo began.

Twice while rolling up my main line I got hung up, the first time I was able to break free by tying the main line to the tie down on the jetski and giving it a little gas.

The second time I was not so lucky and ended up breaking off most of my main line but all and all a good day.

Lessons were learned and I should have a new main line by Sunday.

Comment

Yessir!! That's a pretty cat cwbrown!! I ain't never catfished in water that clear!! I wouldn't know how to act!!

Comment

Anyone in the Jacksonville area that needs trotline bait, let me know. My tank needs to be thinned out of perch, slicks, and pollywog catfish.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Yessir!! That's a pretty cat cwbrown!! I ain't never catfished in water that clear!! I wouldn't know how to act!!
                  IMO the 20+ lb ops fight harder in clear water. There may be fewer of them and tougher to catch though. I'd try to catch them on Travis in the evenings.

Sort of like why to small sharks fight 3x as hard offshore versus off the jetties? Not sure why other than water depth helping them.

Comment

Couple big thunderstorms pushed through over the weekend, in my mind I should wait a couple days for everything to settle back down before going back out and setting lines.

Thoughts?

Comment

Caught another big Yella over the weekend, 43 lbs. That makes a 50, 43, 38 and 20 in three trips to the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbrown View Post
                        Couple big thunderstorms pushed through over the weekend, in my mind I should wait a couple days for everything to settle back down before going back out and setting lines.

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t wait, sometimes a little rise and some runoff will get them feeding good

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Caught another big Yella over the weekend, 43 lbs. That makes a 50, 43, 38 and 20 in three trips to the lake.

That’s some solid fish

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20200526_190421.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	24619950

We caught a lot of channel cat today. A lot of them were under sized. Ended up we caught around 30 or so that were legal size. We kept enough for two meals out of those 30.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                              Yepp, you just sold me on the perch trap. Going to try to buy one ASAP.
                              Send me ur email and I'll send u some instructions to build your own. Ours are baited with Styrofoam and they work great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                                Send me ur email and I'll send u some instructions to build your own. Ours are baited with Styrofoam and they work great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Baited with styrofoam? Now I am intrigued, my have to try that in my trap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X