Ford Death Wobble & Warranty - Frustrating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pilar View Post
    Dang I wish ford would hire me to be a truck tester, as ever single super duty we have had since 2007 has gotten DW
    No level kits or lifts, stock tires, just high way and ranch roads
    I don’t work in a office or some chemical plant, or use a truck as a grocery getter or mall crawl
    Don’t ever abuse them just use them to work with and pull a 25 foot power catamaran when I can get time
    IMO our 3/4 and 1 ton trucks went south when they quit putting 16 inch rims and went to 18 and 20’s
    My trucks always had 235/85/16 mainly with discount tire pathfinder tires or bfg a/t even our expedition’s got 200,000 + miles with out the DW on 16’s
    Dang. If I had that kind of luck with them, I think I would buy something else

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
      Any guesses what percentage of 250s end up with this problem? I have a 2016.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
      Well you have to break that question down. How many F250s get it where the tires have proper levels of tread, the front end is tight, stock tires and rims, proper pressures, and no modifications done to the front of the truck (Level, bigger tires, spacers, etc...).

The amount of death wobble when all those conditions are according to MFG specs is a very small percentage. Michael sounds like a prime example of this, and sounds like the dealer took care of it. Which is good to hear.

So far a lot of the guys on this thread that got it had a failure of one or more of the foregoing components listed. I have a 2012, and it's never concerned me. I have never upgraded anything "just in case" on the front of my truck. Just routine maintenance and repairs.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        Well you have to break that question down. How many F250s get it where the tires have proper levels of tread, the front end is tight, stock tires and rims, proper pressures, and no modifications done to the front of the truck (Level, bigger tires, spacers, etc...).

The amount of death wobble when all those conditions are according to MFG specs is a very small percentage. Michael sounds like a prime example of this, and sounds like the dealer took care of it. Which is good to hear.

So far a lot of the guys on this thread that got it had a failure of one or more of the foregoing components listed. I have a 2012, and it's never concerned me. I have never upgraded anything "just in case" on the front of my truck. Just routine maintenance and repairs.
        Great info, thank you. The only changes to my truck from when it came off the line are dents, scratches and addition of an A&M Century Club sticker. Maybe I'll dodge the wobble issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Zac View Post
          I have some ocean front for sale in Oklahoma I'll make you a good deal on.
          What does that even mean? Dale made a legit post. Death wobble in those ford’s is dangerous at worst and laughable at best

Comment

Originally posted by sbushee View Post
            What does that even mean? Dale made a legit post. Death wobble in those ford’s is dangerous at worst and laughable at best
            If you look at what I bolded and italicized in Dale's quote you'll see the context of the joke. And by reading the thread you'll see that I was affected, and take very seriously, the death wobble on these trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Dang I wish ford would hire me to be a truck tester, as ever single super duty we have had since 2007 has gotten DW
              No level kits or lifts, stock tires, just high way and ranch roads
              I don’t work in a office or some chemical plant, or use a truck as a grocery getter or mall crawl
              Don’t ever abuse them just use them to work with and pull a 25 foot power catamaran when I can get time
              IMO our 3/4 and 1 ton trucks went south when they quit putting 16 inch rims and went to 18 and 20’s
              My trucks always had 235/85/16 mainly with discount tire pathfinder tires or bfg a/t even our expedition’s got 200,000 + miles with out the DW on 16’s
              Why would you keep buying Fords with that history?

Comment

My 18 started it today....

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post

My brother got it on his 2019 when he had like 30,000 miles, stock everything except for a front replacement bumper on the front and a flat bed on the back, Ford “fixed” it then he got it again about a month later. This truck is used for hauling as well so it’s not just a grocery getter. He hasn’t had it again and he did replace the tires on it at about 45,000 miles.

It’s a c*** shoot if you get it or not I personally think, I think it has a lot to do with the steering stabilizer and the c*** tires the trucks come with as he does have the 18” wheels on his truck, but I don’t get why 18” wheels matter.

My dad and uncle have never gotten it in there 17 dually or 19 F250 though.

Comment

Just replaced the steering stabilizer shock on my friends 2019 that I mentioned above. His factory stabilizer was as bad or worse than mine.

I can only speak for certain on 2019's but for anyone with the 17+ body style I would highly recommend looking at the stabilizer shock. Moving the shock by hand feels like internals that keep the fluid separated (and create the dampening effect) are failing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Comment

I have some ocean front for sale in Oklahoma I'll make you a good deal on.
                      Now Zac, I have been told here repeatedly that the blue oval stared bankruptcy in the face, buckled down, and pulled themselves out of the ditch of financial ruin.......WITHOUT taking the bail out like Government Motors, and Flipped Out Mirror did...how dare you suggest FoMoCo had their hand out too!

Comment

Just replaced the steering stabilizer shock on my friends 2019 that I mentioned above. His factory stabilizer was as bad or worse than mine.

I can only speak for certain on 2019's but for anyone with the 17+ body style I would highly recommend looking at the stabilizer shock. Moving the shock by hand feels like internals that keep the fluid separated (and create the dampening effect) are failing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
                        I have had trucks that I drove for 20 years and never replaced a steering stabilizer why would one on a 2019 need to be replaced? Seems way premature to me

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                          I have had trucks that I drove for 20 years and never replaced a steering stabilizer why would one on a 2019 need to be replaced? Seems way premature to me
                          Because the steering stabilizer is the part that's covering up the monumental design flaw in the $70k dollar trucks. But no one wants to admit that...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Now Zac, I have been told here repeatedly that the blue oval stared bankruptcy in the face, buckled down, and pulled themselves out of the ditch of financial ruin.......WITHOUT taking the bail out like Government Motors, and Flipped Out Mirror did...how dare you suggest FoMoCo had their hand out too!
                            I guess I'm just not a true believer. Am I kicked out of the club?

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                            I would imagine not every one of your trucks had the same steering stabilizer. Some things are made of a higher quality than others. I would also imagine that Ford put a steering stabilizer from the same manufacturer on most of their trucks built in 2019 as it is more cost effective to buy in bulk. This particular part happened to be made poorly and is failing. I'm 2/2 on failed stabilizer shocks on 2019 Ford F-250's and Ford is apparently thousands of units on backorder for a warranty replacement of this part...but maybe I'm drawing the wrong conclusions.

Comment

I guess I'm just not a true believer. Am I kicked out of the club?

Turn in your Blue oval fan boy card, and driveway oil stain removal kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What's the recommended reaction to handling a DW episode while at speed on the road?
                                Hard braking, let off throttle and coast, etc?

You folks that have experienced it, let others know how to avoid a crash.

Comment

Working...
                                X