G.S. advice on buying first boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeanMachine View Post
    Chris i just want to add that i hadn't owned a boat in 15 years and in my mind i had it made out to be a hassle I didn't want to deal with. Keeping registration current on boat and trailer, lights working, blah blah. I bought a small aluminum boat last year for hunting which led to me getting more into fishing and just taking the kids out to swim. The downside is holy crap have I dumped some money into it on electronics, nice seats, etc. The big upside is I have something to look forward to on the weekends when I have time. January-August used to be kind of my off season. Now I at least have something to get me out of the house. I'm no help on what kind of boat to get, but get one!
    I still have the kayaks, but want the boat for bigger water.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Wife and I might try going with a few different guides and see how it goes. Don’t really care for offshore/deep sea fishing, but willing to go to all lakes.

Any fishing guides on the green screen??

Comment

Originally posted by tazhunter0 View Post
        Thanks for the info. Wife and I might try going with a few different guides and see how it goes. Don’t really care for offshore/deep sea fishing, but willing to go to all lakes.

Any fishing guides on the green screen??
        Todd Froebe (aka slew) on tbh. Great guy and better guide 😁. He guides on Fork, Palestine, and Lake Of The Pines. Also Marty (buff) on here. Can't go wrong with either as far as crappie guides go👍

Just out this years crappie thread or last year's or the year before that lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
          I've owned boats for about 36 years, when is the new gonna wear off? I guess I'll keep waiting.

That’s no lie!! I had a 17ft bass tracker wirh a 70hp Yamaha before I had my drivers license!! I went a month since then without a boat and it was the long west 6 weeks of my life!!

Comment

Make sure you put the plug in the hole, it gets very wet inside if you don't.

If at all possible, ask for the owner of the boat to take you out on the water in the boat, for a nice two to three hour trip. Pay for the trip, fuel, ECT. Make sure you stop the boat a few times and shut it off, for half hour at a time. Then have the owner show you how everything function on the boat. If they don't go for that, you are definitely buying a money pit.

Comment

If it flies, floats or fornicates it's cheaper to rent it.

Comment

Kayaks with trolling motors and solar panels on battery

Comment

I don't have much to add with all that has been said. No boat is perfect, all have compromises. I'd look for an older solid hull with newer power. Pick the type of hull that meets what you plan to do the most. Electronics, trolling motor, power pole, whatever, can always be added later as budget allows. Everyone likes to say they don't want an "under powered" boat. Power isn't everything and the need to go 50+ is not a requirement. Crazy that 20 years ago, a 20 foot boat with a 150 HP motor was considered ideal. These days, the same size boats will have 200 HP or more on the back. Power poles are nice but really can be considered a luxury item. Heck power poles have only been around for like 20 years.

Bottom line, you don't need all the bells and whistles to get out there and fish. Realiabily of the motor and hull are most important. Also, don't overlook the trailer, especially if used in a salt water environment. A trailer can be an overlooked money pit on what otherwise appears to be a solid package.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                    That and the “ happiest day of a boat owners life is…”

Boats are very low maintenance these days and very reliable. I just got back from Choke Canyon and was fishing out of my uncles 92’ champion boat. He uses it 1-3 times a year now and it fires right up every time. Other than simple maintenance and replacing batteries it’s been a pretty problem free rig.
                    The day my boat left my yard I was excited as the day I bought it.

Comment

Main thing is just use it! Heck with all the negative nancies and gubes that don't even read the thread.

Comment

Don't buy new. Plenty of 2-4 year old boats that have been cared for and a good deal. Dont buy aluminum as resale is miserable, beat you to death, and get blown all over the water. I would say a 19 ft boat will be sufficient and will be very good with a 150 to 200 hp outboard.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                          Don't buy new. Plenty of 2-4 year old boats that have been cared for and a good deal. Dont buy aluminum as resale is miserable, beat you to death, and get blown all over the water. I would say a 19 ft boat will be sufficient and will be very good with a 150 to 200 hp outboard.
                          Disagree about resale on tin boats. I've owned 3 and still have one. Made money on 2, could probably double my money on current and the 18 I had sold for 2500 less than new at 10 years old. Find and buy em right.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We get it, some of y’all love boats. I used to also. I’ve had boats most of my life and at one time I had a bass rig and a catfish rig. Something happened a few years ago and I fell out of love with bass fishing, then any fishing.

In September of ‘21 I bought a nice Ranger RT 188 and rigged it out with livescope and two new Garmin units plus a Minn Kota with all the bells and whistles. Covid hit me in December and I couldn’t shake it. Heart attack followed in May. I felt like a stepped on dog **** most of the time but my best friend (of 35 years) loves to crappie fish so we booked a trip with Todd. I was sick as hell but managed to catch some fish. I found a a guy that wanted my boat and sold it, so we are both happy. My buddy and I have been with Todd 4/5 times now to three different lakes and it just gets better.

Mainly because he’s learning a lot about crappie fishing from us………..

Comment

First boat I would go with a tracker. Panfish series would be great for a new owner. Gotta think about tow vehicle also.

Comment

Buy plenty of motor. Nothing worse than an under powered boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X