Boat to kayak questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat to kayak questions

So the questions are.. Who has changed from boat to kayak? Do you regret it? I have a 16ft aluminum boat with a 50 hp and I love it. My 11and 9 year old boys really got hooked on kayak fishing and dont really care for the boat. They have been talking me into turning our little utility trailer into a fishing & camping adventure trailer. I ain't gonna lie it sounds fun. They said they would sale their dirt bikes to help fund the project. But I would need to sale the boat because this aint gonna be a cheap project. What do yall think?

I think you already answered your own question.

You can pick up good used kayaks pretty cheap actually. Can turn a boat trailer into a sweet camping/activity rig without too much money or effort. Turn it into a sweet state park camping and fishing rig for you and your boys. I wouldn’t hesitate.

Comment

The toughest part about kayak fishing for me is it’s tough to paddle, casts, and drank beers! Once I got the foot drive kayak, it’s on like donkey Kong!

Comment

If u can afford both, keep the boat. You'll be glad u did. Trust me!

I like the simplicity of the yak, but I miss my boat.

Comment

Similar situation... I sold my boat this fall, looking to pick up a kayak before spring.

My son would also like to give it a shot, so we will see how this plays out. Figure I can always buy another boat!

Already have a cargo trailer we insulated and put windows in we may be able to use to haul them and store them in. We used it as a camping trailer for several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I bought 2 used kayaks 5 years ago and have only used my boat a handful of times since and not at all in the last 2 years. I love kayak fishing. To me it's the bow hunting equivalent of fishing. Stealthy, and everything is up close n personal. I bought a pedal drive in October and it's a game changer for sure. Still keep the paddle yaks for the kiddos and friends and for the coast and shallow river fishing.
            The Brazos below PK from hwy 16 to Hwy 4 is a fun overnight camping trip you'll enjoy with your boys. It's a 20 mile trip. Can be done in one night but 2 is much better if you want to fish much. I'm doing 3 nights next time to spend a lot of time fishing some of the better areas more thoroughly. It's a beautiful stretch of river and the fishing is great.
            Trust me as someone who's kids are all grown now... You will never regret doing something with your kids that they enjoy. Their youth is time you don't get back so use it wisely!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have both. The kayaks were a blast for years but I found them hard to fish out of. The older I get, the less I like them. As a youngster I worked on the waterfront staff at Camp Fawcett so I got a lot of canoe time in. Canoes were fun, but I always had the thought in my head that a kayak would be much easier to paddle and faster in the water. I didn't get one until I was in my mid fifties. My thought when I finally did get into one was how much I would have loved having one as a boy. I think that you need to do the kayaks with the boys. You can always pick up another boat somewhere later in life.

Comment

Yak

Originally posted by skeeter View Post

Gota agree keep both...give it a year or so them decide what must GO..or keep both.

Comment

I’ve never understood the enjoyment of kayak fishing. Fishing is supposed to be fun, not work. If you were on a pond or small river I could see the benefit, but I couldn’t fish the way I want or where I want in a kayak.

Comment

Two boats and 3 kayaks in my arsenal. Since I got a small john boat I havent put my kayak in the water. In fact its been in POC at a buddies place since before Christmas. I would use the kayak to fish creeks and rivers for white bass early. Now I paddle with a 25hp.

My son will probably end up taking mine or my wifes yak to school in florida in the fall. We just havent been using them

The most fun Ive had with the yak is floating the rivers in Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post

100% accurate. Especially on those windy days... whew! A 5+ mile roundtrip yak ride will kick your butt

Comment

No way I would make that swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I think the real question is what would provide more family value. If your boys are fired up about this then do it with them. If you can afford to keep the boat and do it then that's fine. If you need the boat funds to afford the project then sell it. They won't be home with you forever.

Comment

I'll add to my above post.
                            Fishing from a kayak definitely isn't for everyone and it can be difficult. There is a definite learning curve to it, especially in a paddle yak. But if you don't like it at first, stick with it awhile before giving up. Once you start figuring it out it gets much more fun. I hated it the first few times but stuck with because I had read so many articles and watched so many videos online of people who were enjoying it that I knew there had to be something to it. It took some learning but now I absolutely love it. I started when I was 52. I'm 57 now. There's a lot of folks fishing from them in their 60's and 70's.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm actually selling my boat this summer for that reason. I find that I'm in the kayak every weekend and i haven't taken the boat out in 2 years for anything other than a maintenance run. going to use the funds to get a skid steer

Comment

Working...
                              X