Best 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck

Been looking into a new truck here recently. I am in no rush to buy anything just trying to find something I would really like.
    It needs to be 3/4 ton or 1 ton. I can’t decide if I need another diesel or go gas. I haul cattle every so often and some other trailers around the ranch as well as a 50hp tractor. I do not haul everyday, maybe 3 to 5 times a month.. so didn’t know if I could get by with gas if y’all have any experience with that. I trade my trucks in every 4is/5 years..
    I am a Ford guy and have tested some of the new fords & I am impressed with the newer models, but open to other makes.. Ram has had my eye since I’ve seen better deals on them, but never driven one (I will test drive one soon). Drove my buddies 2020 Chevy diesel the other day and it was okay, but I felt like the ford felt better.
    Any of y’all have the big 3? Looking for advice on each. Reliability is a must have and that’s one of the reasons why I’ve thought about going gas so I don’t have to deal with def anymore, but don’t want to be undertrucked either.

I had a 2017 3/4 ton 6.2 Ford. I pulled a 70hp Kubota on a 20' gooseneck more times than I cared to count and a 5 bale hay king. The truck would flat out pull anything I had. Owned 3 diesel trucks before that and was more than pleased with the power the 6.2 had. I would also pull a 20' cattle trailer full of calves to the sale barn a couple times a year.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the same truck. Been very happy with it.

Comment

Did y’all’s ever feel underpowered?

Comment

I love my diesel, but the 7.3 gas f-250 is suppose to be a beast

Comment

I had a 2018 Ford F-250 with the 6.2 and it was gutless to me. Traded it in with only 16k miles. Thought I was going to like it after test driving it, but once it was hooked up to something remotely heavy, it was gutless and I’m a Ford guy. Got into a 2020 f350 with the 7.3 motor and it’s a different story. I love it.

Comment

Diesels are nice but if you don’t pull on a daily basis they can cost more then they’re worth with maintenance, emission troubles and the initial purchase price. If your a Ford guy I’d sure look into the new 7.3l gas, also Chevy has a new 6.6l gas engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One year ago I test drove a 2019 F250 diesel then got out and drove a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. Bought the Ram and have been very happy. That Ford has power but felt like it was holding something back. The Ram felt more smooth and felt like it had more power even though it actually has less HP. This is my second Cummins, the first was the 5.9. Also, and this may not mean much to some, but I notice that most of those guys pulling hot shot loads are buying the Ram and making them last. Both would make you a great truck. I tried switching to the gas 3/4 ton truck so I bought an F250 with a 6.? engine. That thing was awful compared to the diesel trucks.

Comment

I have 167,000 on the clock on my 2012 F250 diesel. Still pulls hard (We have a 9000 lb camper), transmission is strong, and is about the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned.

I have had GM's that get squeaky inside after 30,000 miles, and I've still not heard a lot of good about interiors holding up on Dodge. I currently have a hellcat, so while it's not a truck, the interior is incredibly nice and I am cautiously optimistic on the interior holding up.

Comment

Just bought a 2020 ram 3500 HO. A few years ago I got talked into going back to gas I hated it Chev with a 6.0 gas that thing couldn't get out of it's own way. the Ram has enough power to snatch the paint off any of my trailers. I'm averaging about 17 MPG no trailer at around 78 mph in the ram and 12mpg with a load. Only have around 5 K miles on it so far but I'm loving the truck.

Comment

If you decide to go with a Ford Diesel, get the highway gears if you don’t haul alot. That will help with tour fuel mileage. I drive a 2017 F250 FX4 with 4WD and 373 highway gears. I get right at 20 mpg highway and 14-15 city. Pulling anything it always sits around 14 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Listening.

At the moment can't justify the diesel and they aren't as fun as they once were.

Will be pulling a 25' camper 2 or 3 times a year and a 21' boat about the same

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Have a 2012 6.7 Ford with 170k on it been an amazing truck

Comment

I love my Diesel 6.7 but it will be my last Diesel if I have to put up with the DEF CRAP. The DEF pump and all related items are nothing but junk and a huge money pit. It is not if it screws you but when and it will.

Comment

I have been looking myself and the diesels are an extra $10,000 on average with more maintenance costs so it's hard to justify one only on fuel mileage. You sound like we would have about the same amount of use so it would be just what you want not so much of what is needed. As for the brand I've ridden in my buddies f250 enough to know I don't care for the ride and the front end wobble is something I don't want to deal with but that is just me. I'm more of a GM guy but the Ram's have gotten my eye lately. The brand is a personal choice as they will all perform good and they all have their flaws.

Comment

Working...
                              X