Waterfowl Load Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waterfowl Load Question

I’ve been coming up short on my search for cases of #4 Rio and Kent. I did see some 1-3/8 oz #5 loads. Anyone ever shot these? I’m pretty conservative in my shooting and prefer to have them in close over decoys. Most of our hunts are in flooded timber or farm ponds, with some lake hunts. Or should I just step in to the #3’s?

Thanks,
    Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 are my favorite for decoying ducks, #3 all around load, #2 for Redheads in the bays. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot #5 if I'm able to keep shots within reason. I think if I had to choose between 3 and 5 I'd go with 3.

Comment

In a pinch I have used #7 for duck but I would recommend it...port lavaca Walmart let me down. If you can get 3s, they will do great.

Comment

I like 3” #2, in heavier shot loads. Never had much luck with 1-1/8 oz loads.

Comment

3 in 3s or tungsten 4s. Hevi is having a rebate right now. Uo to 50 back per case.

Comment

3" #3's is the best all around load I've ever used.

Comment

I shoot kent #4’s but if need be I will shoot #2’s

“Fools multiply when wise men are silent” -Nelson Mandela

Comment

I'm a big fan of 3's.

Comment

3 inch number 3 is best way to go

Comment

I typically use 2 3//4” #3s in 1 1/4oz loads will kill any duck in the situations you describe. We hunt a lot of late season mallards and pintails in AR, no problem.

Get on Roger’s Sporting goods email, these shells by Rio are often on sale for two cases in the $75 range per case. The same loads in 3” are $5 to $10 more for the exact same functionality in killing ducks. Always, funny to me.

Comment

I've shot 3's the last 2 years and don't have any complaints

Comment

#3 is all I use for ducks.

Comment

I shoot 5's all the time but thinking I might need to try 3's now.

Comment

3" #3 Federal
                            Improved Cylinder Choke for Timber and decoying birds
                            Modified choke for passing and open areas.
                            Last edited by ATI; 07-21-2020, 07:32 AM.

Comment

What choke are you using?
                              #3's are my favorite but hunting tight quarters with #3 and full choke can be a bit sporty.

Comment

Working...
                              X