South Africa 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Africa 2021

So we are hopefully headed to SA at the end of May! Crazy enough this all started over 2 years ago when my brother won a trip! That then transpired into my brother, dad, myself and 3 others booking a trip with the outfitter he won the trip through. Since booking the trip last year I have been looking into and completely changing up my bow set up. Now with the trip getting closer the excitement is starting to build.

For those of you that have bow hunted Africa what are some of the things you wish you would have known before you went? What are the things you learned while over there and even after getting back that would help a first timer?

I have already secured a shipping service to get the animals back and through customs. I have also chosen my arrow set up and brodhead with help from searching through TBH achieves. I went with “Adult Arrows” that I am currently in the process of making. There will end up being EFOC right at 594 grains. I will do my best to update my preparation for the hunt and try to make it a semi-live hunt from halfway around the world.

Again any and all info and help is welcomed as I continue to prep. Were going to be hunting with Bayly Sippel Hunting Safaris. They do most of their hunting in the Limpopo province. I have been in touch with one of the owners and PH through WhatsApp and email and he has been extremely helpful and responsive answering any questions I have hade. Here is their Facebook link https://www.facebook.com/BaylySippelHuntingSafaris/

I have been 4 times! I learned that Africa is the coolest place on the planet for a hunter! I also learned that if you don’t want your clothes to be “Spring Fresh”, bring your own scent free laundry detergent.

I have trip #5 planned for August 2021, and can’t wait!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

be prepared to quarantine

Comment

After 7 or 8 safaris. Pack super light as u don't need half of your stuff. Clothes are washed daily unless you are hunting the Selous or in CAR. Pack your soft clothes in your bow case for extra cushion. Look at bowhunging shot placement guide. It is different. Know what animals u are going after as the arrow weight of 594 is good for plains game with a good solid steel broadhead. Clarify that the PH understands you are bowhunting!!! Bring a backup release as archery shops are far and few. I have seen one in Limpopo. Carry your range finder , binos, RX's, key documents with you in your backpack while traveling. Tip the native trackers directly and generously in their currency. Don't act like a know it all American during social times, great chance to learn from others. Enjoy the trip and if you have time J'berg has lots of good places to check out. It is a huge city but I have never had 1 issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I lived in JoBurg for several years and South Africa is an amazing place.

My first piece of advice is I would book a flight though JoBurg rent a car and take a couple days there.

https://www.glenafric.co.za/ <-- a lot of movies are filmed there

If you do make it there I used to hunt this place in Rustinburg, about an hour outside Joburg. I was the first American to hunt there and they are good people. You will notice it's a little more cost effective

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

About shipping animals I would ask if they have "old inventory" because you don't need any permits to ship finished mounts. So I would make sure that you get all your trophies in that box but fill it with anything else you can. Euro mount and rugs.

It's cheaper to ship if you only have one persons name on the box also. It's not much but when I did it the cost was something like $100 extra a name.

The last thing I used to do was at the end of the season I would sell them my bow. Bows and archery equipment are a lot more expensive there. A lot of times I would bring rifle scopes and archery equipment from my trips back and fourth to the US

Comment

Awesome. Have a great time!!!

Comment

Take plenty of pics/movies and keep a written journal of your exploits. If you are going to wear shorts and do some spot and stalk, make sure and get some short leggings to keep the seeds of plants out of your socks and shoes. Ask me how I know!
              You are in for the trip of a lifetime. I have hunted the Limpopo 3 times and hopefully will return for a 4th this coming Sept.

i would not have any taxi done over there, just my opinion. Shipping is done by volume so a mounted animal can be more expensive on shipping. A fellow hunter flying over the last time I went said he had a shoulder mount done on an Eland and it cost $3000 to have the crate shipped back to the States. It had other critters in it, but DANG!

listen to your PH, he shold be able to tell you when to shoot and where to shoot on those critters. The vitals on African Plains game are farther forward than the critters in the states. A shot behind the shoulder a little too far that would still be lungs over her is pure guts over there. Shoot straight up the front leg and 1/3rd up the body. Liten to your PH and remember, blood drawn and animal not founfd is still paid for by you!

Enjoy and looking forward to stories, pics and LDP's! Have fun!

Comment

make sure you eat the tenderloins of what you shoot every night. The guides or ranch owner will sell whatever is killed but will not have a problem cooking some for you. we usually have it as a shish kabob appetizer at a minimum. Everything taste great. The guide will give you a list of what to bring but be prepared for below freezing in the morning and hot in the day. no humidity so pretty easy to deal with. there are a few animals that are easy to spot and stalk close enough to kill...warthog being perhaps the easiest. I got lucky and got close enough to a nice Gemsbock but with in face and sun in back so it was perfect. Most of the animals will maintain a safe zone from you when out and about and it is not within bow range. Have fun. If you dont get what you want at the water hole do not be afraid to ask for a gun and head out to the big part of the ranch!!

Comment

I’ve been twice, spot and stalk with a bow both times, my advice would be to practice shooting your bow in every conceivable position possible, because it will come up. Have a good idea of what animals you want to shoot, but take what Africa offers, my first trip I think I only shot 3 off my original list, listen to your ph and make deals, I think their will be some good deals to be had this summer. Try and eat some of everything you kill, zebra is amazing, would not have thought it. Set a budget and be prepared to go over, you will regret not shooting stuff when you return. Open your mind, things are way different in Africa, biggest lesson I learned on my first trip is we as Americans are very ignorant of what goes on in Africa, they are not ignorant of what goes on in America, also we as Americans are very arrogant in regards to thinking we know better how to solve their problems than they do.

Comment

As of January 26, you will need a negative Covid test within 3 days of your return flight to re-enter the USA. Things may change by the time you go, but you should have that figured out before departure.

Comment

Camera with plenty of chips
                      Throw your “Hit List” away and enjoy what comes your way
                      Trust & listen to your PH
                      Don’t leave your hide as soon as you have shot an animal, something may be lurking
                      Make sure you are the “caboose” when tracking game and stay quiet

Comment

Been 2x, good advice above. Pack lite, listen to the PH, don’t bring a lot of stuff out in the field, always carry a bandanna many uses, good camera, take what comes your way, enjoy all the new things and remember TIA (this is Africa) it will all work out. Have fun. Bring cash for tips, I think those guys get so many knives and binos they sell them all.

Comment

Thanks for all the info, there are some really great suggestions that I have not thought about yet. I have a list of animals that if present a shot I will not pass up. Most of them being larger plans animals but I will say the top on the list would be Bushbuck. A large Bushbuck with a bow would be amazing. I am also the type that appreciates a good challenge!

Hopefully Covid won't mess anything up too bad. I have been keeping an eye on it and will continue to for sure.

For those of you that may be interested, the outfitter is currently doing their annual Waffle. Its the one that my brother won a few years ago. You can find the info on their FB page.

Comment

About tips, especially to the trackers and others. Talk to your PH or the one heading up the hunt. He may want you to give the tip to him if it is money. My PH takes the money and distributes it to his staff after we leave. He does this as he had 2 trackers get into it about how much each one got and one ended up dead. Not good. Clothing is not bad to give either such as shirts and socks!

Be ready to see things you will never see over here that will shock you to your core!

Comment

I settled on the Black Eagle Rampage in 300 spine with a 200 grain SS insert! They are flying really good out of the bow.

Also the Brodheads I settled on. Same concept as the Bishop Brodheads but at a fraction of the price and still made in the USA. I decided on the 125 brodhead so I could still use different heads for whitetail and wouldn't have to change weight.

When all put together with 3in feathers and 29 inch shafts I get a 23.6% FOC and the total weight of 594 grains!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X