Muzzleloader? How many pellets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muzzleloader? How many pellets?

It's been 10+ years since I fired my muzzleloader and I honestly forgot how many gunpowder pellets I put down the tube. I'm thinking 2 but maybe it was one. It is a 50 cal. Thank you for helping this dummy.

In-line ML? 2 would or should equal 100 grains. That’s what I used when I had an in-line.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
      In-line ML? 2 would or should equal 100 grains. That’s what I used when I had an in-line.
      That's correct.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
        Great, thank you.

Comment

yeah, 2 is normal... 3 is magnum.

Comment

I’m not a pellet fan - I use BH209 (Blackhorn 209). You can shoot a lot without having to swab so often.

And I weigh them at a 70% exchange rate - 100 grains by volume equals 70 grains by weight on my reloading beam scale.

Comment

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post
              I’m not a pellet fan - I use BH209 (Blackhorn 209). You can shoot a lot without having to swab so often.

And I weigh them at a 70% exchange rate - 100 grains by volume equals 70 grains by weight on my reloading beam scale.
              Yes, Blackhorn is cleaner and gives better velocities, but unless you already have BH209 on hand, good luck finding it.

OP, Pyrodex pellets will still work fine in your gun, and 2 pellets is a “standard” load.

Comment

Originally posted by tpcollins View Post

Blackhorn is an absolute game changer. My CVA wolf is now shooting 1-1/4” groups at 100yrds. I would have no issues shooting out to 200yrds. No way I would use anything else. I shoot 70gr by weight with a 250gr hornady sst and Winchester 209 primers.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  It's been 10+ years since I fired my muzzleloader and I honestly forgot how many gunpowder pellets I put down the tube. I'm thinking 2 but maybe it was one. It is a 50 cal. Thank you for helping this dummy.
                  Two pellets work great. 3 pellets add very little to velocity. Funny not funny story. My dad had not shot his ml in years and had some old 777. The pellets stuck together and he thought he was loading 3 but actually loaded 6. It locked the action up on his CVA. CVA replaced it. He told them what he had done and the CVA rep got real quiet on the phone then said “So it looks like you survived! Please don’t do that again!”.

Comment

Just make sure you have 50-grain/50cal pellets.
                    They DO come in other sizes/calibers/weights.
                    Avoid touching with bare skin.

Comment

i use 130 grains in my in line and 90 in my percussion guns.

Comment

Thank y'all, great advice. Going this weekend to Toledo Bend and get some tender doe meat. Ymmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
                          Yes, Blackhorn is cleaner and gives better velocities, but unless you already have BH209 on hand, good luck finding it.

OP, Pyrodex pellets will still work fine in your gun, and 2 pellets is a “standard” load.
                          2 years ago I was going down the sporting goods aisle at Walmart after the hunting season ended and noticed they had BH209 on sale for $31 a jug - I bought 2 jugs!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                            Two pellets work great. 3 pellets add very little to velocity. Funny not funny story. My dad had not shot his ml in years and had some old 777. The pellets stuck together and he thought he was loading 3 but actually loaded 6. It locked the action up on his CVA. CVA replaced it. He told them what he had done and the CVA rep got real quiet on the phone then said “So it looks like you survived! Please don’t do that again!”.
                            I imagine that packed a punch!
                            Glad he wasnt hurt. That could of been bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                              yeah, 2 is normal... 3 is magnum.
                              thats what my states Blackhorn FAN too

Comment

Working...
                              X