Youth Rifle weekend question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RCDuck View Post
    X2 on a tripod... look at the Caldwell Dead Shot Fieldpod, or something like it. It takes a lot of the nerves, shakes, etc. out of the equation and helps them feel more confident.
    Best money I ever spent on my kids hunting Stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      It would be a shame for the kiddo not to be able to tell his story, that's a huge part of the first deer.

Put all the odds in his favor, and don't rush ANYTHING. You will know when he's locked in, and things are as right as they can be. Go throw out a bucket of corn at 50-70 yds if your feeder is further, take a pillow with you to tuck under his arm if he can't rest his elbow on a window sill or something, and make sure his chair is the right height. He'll do fine.

Mucho pictures!
      You going to start a youth weekend thread next weekend again?

Comment

On my son’s first deer, he made a great shot. When she took off, I could see her dragging the opposite shoulder. While we were giving her some time, another doe stepped out. We were on a youth doe/spike draw hunt and he could take up to 2 does, so we waited on her to get closer. She came nearly to the same spot as the first deer. When he shot, she dropped in her tracks but was just looking around. I saw the bullet hit a little far back. I grabbed his gun and loaded another round. He had a single shot 243. I took a shot to the neck. Saw dirt fly behind her. Loaded another round, took my time, shot at the neck again. Once again, saw the dirt fly behind her. When we were practicing, I was having a hard time keeping the scope dialed in, so I just didn’t trust the gun. The deer finally got up and ran off. I thought I missed completely so we left the blind to try to get back on her. When we got to the place we saw her last, there she laid, dead. He hit way back and just under the backbone. I lifted up her head and she had 2 bullet holes in her neck, actually took out the throat. So, I didn’t miss at all!!
        With all that said, I don’t see anything wrong about it, just keep it between you and your son.

Comment

Keep the odds in his favor. Shots inside 100 yards, preferably closer IMHO. My son (8) shot his first last year at 50 yards. Made a great shot.

A few weeks later, he rushed a shot on a good buck at 75 yards and wounded him. The buck survived several months before being found.

We used it as a teaching moment as he explained to me how it went down.

In the end, he still got to put his hands on him although he was bummed about losing the meat.
          It's the buck in my avatar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Chad C; 10-20-2020, 08:01 AM.

Comment

If you don't think he can make the shot, he probably shouldn't be taking the shot.

My son shot his first deer at 9 years old. His shot placement was spot on and the deer literally walked 15 yards, then just laid down. He will remember that forever. We also went to town and celebrated with pancakes to top it off.

Don't overthink it, if you trust him, let him have his shot and learn from it. If something goes south, just remember it's a training opportunity before he's on his own and that will also be priceless as hard as it may be.
            Last edited by mrpetera; 10-20-2020, 07:59 AM.

Comment

My daughter has been hunting for the past 9 seasons and we have had great success with the Caldwell dead shot Fieldpod. One hint I’d give you is to not have him shooting past 50yds on the first couple of deer he kills. My daughter can shoot great at 100yds but I really like her shooting about 40yds. If she can get on the deer with her 22-250 at 40yds we usually watch it fall. Good luck and enjoy every bit of it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                You going to start a youth weekend thread next weekend again?

We don’t get to hunt youth weekend unless we get some bad weather, my son has a baseball tournament.[emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryNerd View Post
                  Tough question and a teachable Dad moment. Unfortunately I think we have all been there and lost and animal. I also think about what lesson I don't want to teach him.
                  Well said

Comment

We don’t get to hunt youth weekend unless we get some bad weather, my son has a baseball tournament.[emoji35]

Well heck, that is just poor scheduling on the baseball teams part. I’d have a talk with them to make sure it doesn’t happen again! [emoji23]

I think I’m more excited for it than my son. We have a stud 8pt I want to get him on this season.

Comment

I started my son hunting at 7 and he killed 3 bucks in 2 counties at 100 yards each all good shots. Last year he shot a big 6 and hit him a bit back, the deer ran about 40 yards further out then hunched up doing the slow walk. I told Cameron to hit him again and he 10 ringed it. The main thing is for you to keep calm and talk him thru it, if you get all excited then it just makes your kiddo worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Dakota7493 View Post
                        Well heck, that is just poor scheduling on the baseball teams part. I’d have a talk with them to make sure it doesn’t happen again! [emoji23]

I think I’m more excited for it than my son. We have a stud 8pt I want to get him on this season.

Yeah, this is exactly why we don’t do fall ball. But they lost so much time due to the Kung flu in the spring, that we gave him the option… This will not happen again.

Comment

We're headed straight from his round 1 playoff football game. I may have pulled some strings to get us the early game.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty8186 View Post
                            We're headed straight from his round 1 playoff football game. I may have pulled some strings to get us the early game.
                            I aint sayin we won't get in a morning hunt if he draws late games for Saturday...

Best of luck to all kiddos and parents getting the early start next week! That's usually my favorite weekend of the season, it is one thing that TPWD got right.

Comment

The favorite hunt of my life--bar none--was with my son on his first deer. Just make sure he is comfortable and don't let him shoot if he isn't. I had my son shoot a handful of pigs first and he was nails when a deer was fair game. Good luck!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty8186 View Post
                                I have been taking my 9 year old son to practice shooting his .243 for a couple years. He’s been in the blind with me the last 5 years. This year he says he’s ready to kill a deer. We’ve shot a little more this year in preparation for youth weekend. We both feel comfortable with his shooting ability and I feel like he’s ready to shoot a deer. But we all know when the moment comes adrenaline & nerves come into play.

My question is... if he makes a less than perfect shot, would it be a law violation for me to take a follow up shot to make sure the deer goes down instead of running 2 miles to die unrecovered?

My brain says yes it would be unlawful but not unethical.
                                Not legal and Not ethical. You don't want to teach your kid that it is okay to break the law when you want to. A crippled deer is part of hunting, unfortunately, and we should all work to prevent that as much as possible, but don't teach the kid to break the law.

Comment

Working...
                                X