Duck Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lab or pudlepointer
    I see you live in Taylor county. If you hunt quail also PP is a versatile breed that will point also. Lab will flush quail which I like. If your dog is to be a house dog PP should shed much less. My labs seemed to shed a whole dog every other day. When my last lab passed away my wife laid down the law.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
      lab or pudlepointer
      I see you live in Taylor county. If you hunt quail also PP is a versatile breed that will point also. Lab will flush quail which I like. If your dog is to be a house dog PP should shed much less. My labs seemed to shed a whole dog every other day. When my last lab passed away my wife laid down the law.
      Yessir I do. As far as birds go, mostly hunt ducks but occasionally hunt other birds when I get the chance. I have heard the PP sheds less. It sounds like they both have good temperaments.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
        Personaly I would lean PP but I just have seen to many bad labs... Lots of options, whoever you go with see if you can get out meet the parents and see them work a little
        LOL labs are the most trainable, capable, ideal waterfowl dog period end of story.

OP put eyes on the dam and sire and observe their temperament. You can get a dog with plenty of on/switch and killer drive. All starts with obedience training..

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
          LOL labs are the most trainable, capable, ideal waterfowl dog period end of story.

OP put eyes on the dam and sire and observe their temperament. You can get a dog with plenty of on/switch and killer drive. All starts with obedience training..
          Appreciate that. Two similar dogs in terms of abilities. Pretty touch choice, but I've got some time. Thanks for the input!

Comment

Gsp train em from the get go. Theyre a great breed. Love some spotted dogs. Mine ll duck hunt till the day ends. Cant keep em out of the boat.
            Attached Files

Comment

Thats a certified duck snatcher ^^^^

Comment

Pervis- I had a GSP that was a certified duck getter too, but it was hard to hunt her up here in the panhandle on super cold mornings.

OP- any consideration for a Drahthaar? https://www.vdd-gna.org/photos/nggal...rahthaar-water

Comment

Originally posted by zach View Post
                  What do they charge?

Check out their whelping service on Facebook. Prices vary.

Comment

Originally posted by zach View Post
                    Do you know if both of the parents hunt?

Just seeing this. But yes both parents hunt. It's a heck of a pedigree for these yellow pups. Check out there page. He has more info and if you need his number let me know. Jason is as good of a guy as it gets. Used to be head hunting trainer at best retrievers and in the last year started his own.

Comment

My experience is that the dog is only as good as the guy blowing the whistle.

If I don’t put the time in and I mean just about every day with my labs, I get what I give. I have sent them off to school but if I don’t work with them consistently when they get home then they regress. Just the way it is. Not my opinion. My experience.

Good luck. I have never regretted hunting behind both my labs and other guy’s labs. (And yes mine do mess up. But it’s still a better time hunting. A bird dog...your dog...changes the whole deal. In a great way!)
                      Last edited by bbuck8; 06-16-2020, 09:48 PM.

Comment

bbuck8 is spot on! We have two that are our hunting dogs, but we run hunt tests to keep them fresh. I work them every day after work. If I miss a couple of days for any reason, we run back a bit. The "finished" level dog doesn't forget nearly as much as my wife's "seasoned" level dog. She's just not at his maturity level yet...but she'll get there.

The key is that you will get out of them what you put in. Get a good base in your dog's pedigree and enjoy training. I love getting out there with them every day and working them...and they love it too. They will pout big time if I don't work them one day. I love those dogs!

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post

This is probably the best post about on this thread that I've seen.

Get the best tool for the job. Labs are without a doubt the most fitting, trainable, geneticially wired dog available for waterfowl hunting. There are others that can do it, but none as good as well bred labrador.

You wouldn't use a honda civid to pull a bass boat and you don't buy a diesel truck for in town stop and go driving...

And don't get a dumbass silver/charcoal lab...they're not even real

Comment

LL gun dogs....they have outstanding labs and german short hairs. The owners are hunters themselves and they breed awesome hunting dogs. They are located in Crockett, Texas. Check out their web site out. Good luck!

Comment

Just echoing what most have already stated. A lot of the dogs capabilities will depend on how much time the owner puts into them.

I trained my lab myself and will say it is not the amount of time but the consistency. No long sessions. For my personal dog about 20 minutes everyday is all it takes. This keeps her sharp and the desire high for more.

There are plenty of days when i do not make it or feel like taking her to the pond but it for sure shows when we go a few days without it and i am the only one to blame as she wants to go everyday, all day.

Comment

Originally posted by bbuck8 View Post
                                My experience is that the dog is only as good as the guy blowing the whistle.

If I don’t put the time in and I mean just about every day with my labs, I get what I give. I have sent them off to school but if I don’t work with them consistently when they get home then they regress. Just the way it is. Not my opinion. My experience.

Good luck. I have never regretted hunting behind both my labs and other guy’s labs. (And yes mine do mess up. But it’s still a better time hunting. A bird dog...your dog...changes the whole deal. In a great way!)
                                Absolutely correct, this applies to any breed that you choose. I mainly dove and pheasant hunt and run a few hunt tests, so my Boykins suit my needs. We try to work them everyday and when we can’t they get upset! In the field with them is your reward. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X