No announcement yet.

Bay boat shopping rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a Bay Boat but I recently saw a Ranger 20' with a 250 Yamaha for $111k. That is insane. You are looking at about $1,000.00/$1,200.00/month for 15 years. Who can justify that unless you have your own company and can write it off as a business expense.

Comment

Good thing I don’t guide so I just stock up on friends that have boats and pay the expenses per trip. Use to own one but this is working out much better for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Affordable used boats are out there. Many of the new custom boats are tricked out, are high powered and in turn are crazy expensive.

A lot of it has to do with power. 20 years ago, 21' bay boats came standard with a 150 HP motor and that was considered a nice rig. Now it seems same boat needs a 250 to go over 60, dual power poles, LED lighting, stereo system, etc.

If you are looking to save a bit, find an older reliable hull with newer power. Or perhaps one with older power and you can just repower when necessary. Like the 3 boats below, all are under $20K, two of them are under $14K.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
          This is exactly what I do, I want a boat BAD but I just can't justify it. Where I live in Cypress I'd have to pay for storage at about $150 a month + the cost of the boat + the cost of fuel and maintenance, it's just not worth it. My neighbor and I go with a guide 6 or 7 times a year and it's around $650 each time after tip split 2 ways. Mix in 2 or 3 trips to the surf and it's enough to keep me satisfied and I don't have to jack with owning a boat.
          Plus registration, plus insurance, plus fuel & maintenance for your truck to tow it, but most importantly, the time is takes to get the boat, pull it out, make sure its clean, loaded, and ready, checking trailer lights, then driving to the water. Then, you finally get to have fun with it, assuming it starts. After that, load it back up, haul it home, clean it out, wash it, take it back to storage, and get it put away. If you value your time at $20/ hr, that could be as much as $2000 you lost just in time. But some folks don't put a value on their time. I do though.

Your method is much better!

Comment

I'd love a new boat, but I just can't justify the cost for the amount I fish. I'll just stick with my old aluminum boat that's paid for and be happy!

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
              Agreed.
              I miss my trusted solid heavy Bayhawk.....
              That's what I'm rockin, ol betsy never lets me down.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                Affordable used boats are out there. Many of the new custom boats are tricked out, are high powered and in turn are crazy expensive.

A lot of it has to do with power. 20 years ago, 21' bay boats came standard with a 150 HP motor and that was considered a nice rig. Now it seems same boat needs a 250 to go over 60, dual power poles, LED lighting, stereo system, etc.

If you are looking to save a bit, find an older reliable hull with newer power. Or perhaps one with older power and you can just repower when necessary. Like the 3 boats below, all are under $20K, two of them are under $14K.

https://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/s....php?t=2604911
                They're just expensive, big motor or not. I priced a 20' Shoalwater Cat, plain Jane, no raised console, nada. Boat, trailer, and a 150hp motor and it was $43ish.

Comment

It's the upgrades and add ons on the new boats that really kick the price up. Power poles trolling motor GPS lights radio upgraded aluminum work ect ect is was turns a base model 40k boat into a 60k boat in a hurry.
                  I am loving my new boat and it sure is an upgrade to my ol RFL. I got a better interest rate that was posted above as well and she should be paid off in 5 years or so. Been throwing some money towards the principal already and it's paying off. Not sure if she will ever catch more fish than my old one but it sure is a much smoother nicer ride (wife was tired of getting the crap beat out of her on most trips) knowing the motor is gona fire up every time not having to worry about an old trailer and being able to run offshore on nicer days as well. So far I am pretty happy with the purchase!
                  It don't take long do clean and wash a boat...20 min at the carwash and she's done. Pull it into the carport at home and done have to worry about any storage fees.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    They're just expensive, big motor or not. I priced a 20' Shoalwater Cat, plain Jane, no raised console, nada. Boat, trailer, and a 150hp motor and it was $43ish.
                    Yes they are.
                    Waypoint pricing is for a 21 with a 200 is right at 45k base model.

Comment

The thing about boats is that a huge percentage of people buy one with big visions of using it a lot. And they do for a few months. Then it sits. You can find 10 year old boats that are in new condition. For me, unless you are very wealthy, you make your living with it, or you just have to keep up with the Jones’, it is crazy to buy a new one. There are great deals on little used boats out there.

Comment

I agree, just pointing out there are still somewhat affordable ways to get on the water.

With that said, interest rates seem to be on the rise so there may eventually be a market correction on new boat pricing. I very much agree the prices have gone up exponentially due to the ease of obtaining low interest financing. Salaries are not keeping up with the increases either.

Comment

I bought a 83 outrage had it completely redone with new motor gauges electronics wiring gas tank leaning post trolling motor boat looks brand new 36,000 without the trailer its just as good if not better than any new boat

Comment

I got that boat quoted 2 years ago when the 20 cat first came out and the 150 of my choice was 39K plus TTL. I still have the quote somewhere in my email.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                              I got that boat quoted 2 years ago when the 20 cat first came out and the 150 of my choice was 39K plus TTL. I still have the quote somewhere in my email.

Just found the quote the boat was 39,190, and there was an incentive which priced it at 37,690. The only real option the boat has was SS console.

Comment

Best of luck on your search and hope you find what you looking for. There are some good deals to be had out there if looking for used.

Comment

Working...
                                X