Laguna Atascosa 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laguna Atascosa 2018

I got drawn for Laguna Atascosa 11/16 -11/20. This will be my first time down there. Gonna start getting preparations in order.

Any advice / suggestions are all welcomed and appreciated. Gonna try to scout next month with bike, But hunt utilizing 4 wheeler.(i have the medical release). Wanna see what the backside of unit 1 looks like and maybe the west side of 3.

Congratulations brother! I got drawn for early December, first time hunting there. Family friend said to expect a lot ticks and snakes. Also mentioned they had a Nilgai cull to check for disease. I'll post more as I find information. Going to be a helluva hunt!!

Comment

Originally posted by NxSTexan View Post
      Congratulations brother! I got drawn for early December, first time hunting there. Family friend said to expect a lot ticks and snakes. Also mentioned they had a Nilgai cull to check for disease. I'll post more as I find information. Going to be a helluva hunt!!
      hunh?

I figure to have clothes sprayed down with the tick killer stuff and will get snake boots.

Comment

Congrats to all hunting Atascosa. I got November 16-20. Depending on the weather, permethrin (sp?) is a must on your clothes. The chiggers are unreal. if you're bringing a tripod, it should be no more than 8'. Lots of low brush and mesquites. Hopefully, I'll get a crack at that big buck I hunted last year.

Comment

Oh yeah, LANWR is still under a tick quarantine. Deer and nilgai must be skinned out there and you cannot take your animal until it is checked by USDA. You will get some type of paper work that lets you travel with the meat.

Comment

Im on 2nd draw, hoping for a miracle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can someone tell me what is the deadline to purchase the permit that way i know when to check on the 2 drawing

Comment

Originally posted by dannygarcia View Post
                can someone tell me what is the deadline to purchase the permit that way i know when to check on the 2 drawing

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
                08/25

Comment

Thanks, and some advice from laguna, the best thing is to find a good trail and sit on it, a good 5-7ft tripod will be ideal. If you really want nilgai unit 3 or 5 would be best especially if you can use a 4wheeler get to spots before anyone can.

Comment

You have a HUGE advantage with the 4 wheeler

Comment

I'll be out there 11/16 - 11/20. This will be my third year to hunt out there. Had a great time the past 2 years

Comment

I will bring a tripod. it telescopes up from about 6' to 8' or so. anyone know the scoop on unit 1. looks like it may be decent way back along the creek. I do pretty good sitting for long durations. Like you said, I want to find a good trail...poop area and wait in ambush.

Comment

Originally posted by philipolsen View Post
                          I'll be out there 11/16 - 11/20. This will be my third year to hunt out there. Had a great time the past 2 years
                          where bouts you hunt at... where do folks normally stay down there? campground...motels?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                            where bouts you hunt at... where do folks normally stay down there? campground...motels?
                            I just stayed at a hotel lat 2 years, but will probably camp this year. I hunted area 3 the most, but did some walking around some in several areas

Comment

How did y’all get drawn???? I guess I applied for something else? Mine still says “application received” and the available dates are in January-February.

Comment

Working...
                              X