Gardeners...pepper plant ID?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gardeners...pepper plant ID?

I went to do some work at my mother in law’s house and saw this plant on the side of her house. They look like chile pequins but I’m not sure. I have no idea how the original seeds got there unless her neighbor threw something over there.
    What kind of pepper is this? And can it be transplanted?

Looks like bird pepper, aka chiltepin. From what I have gathered, the pequin is longer and larger.

We have some at the lease in Victoria. ( I posted a thread just a few weeks ago related to this, and another plant i thought may be related or another pepper )

Comment

Looks like a pequin to me. Grab a ripe one and take a bite to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
        Looks like a pequin to me. Grab a ripe one and take a bite to make sure.
        Riiiiiiiiiiight

Comment

Looks like a bird pepper.

Comment

Chili Pequin you luck dog. Hot but very tasty peppers. Always heard it pronounced piteen but that might be a family thing.

Comment

that's what we call them. mostly they are scattered by bird droppings. they grow best in crowded areas. they make excellent hot sauce. fill jar with the peppers and vinegar and let set for a few days.

Comment

Apparently there is some confusion/overlapping in the names/verbiage used to describe them, some call em all pequin. Here is a link to a forum discussing it, with pics. Who is technically right, I dont know.

This is my first post. I just joined the site two days ago but I have a question. What is the difference between a Chilitepin and a chili pequin? I was told several years ago the two could be interchangeable. But come to find out, that doesn't look like it's actually the case. Up until 18 months...

Comment

( supposedly ) Chiltepin ( tepin )

Click image for larger version

Name:	tepin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	24567743

Pequin

Click image for larger version

Name:	pequin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	24567744

Comment

Correct ID now if you'll take 3 of the red peppers, some garlic, and some cilantro and grind it all up then mix it with a little lime juice and two small cans of tomato sauce you've got a really good salsa.

Mexican guy who used to work for me made that all the time and it really is simple and it really is good.

Comment

Pick the ripe ones, let them dry out, and add them into sausage or grind and add to seasonings... kinda like bacon, they’ll make everything taste great!

Comment

Let that sucker grow! It will come back every year. I also do the vinegar thing, delicious!

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          Pick the ripe ones, let them dry out, and add them into sausage or grind and add to seasonings... kinda like bacon, they’ll make everything taste great!

This is what I came here to post. I pick them, let them dry out, they will look like red peppercorns. I save a bunch up, put in my spice grinder and grind up and put in a shaker. Great on pizza or anything where you would use crushed red pepper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Getting one to grow on your place is like have a P&Y buck on your low fence that never leaves your yard. I've tried getting them to grow and transplanting them.....nope.

Comment

I have also tried to get them to grow no luck yet but I would like to get some seeds if anyone has some they would send me please and thank you!
                              Freddy

Comment

Working...
                              X