How quite are suppressors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How quite are suppressors?

I’m still in the initial stages of getting paperwork done For a Form 1 suppressor. I’ve got a Specter II that I love on my 22 lr. It’s really ruined me from shooting my other rifles. I Picked up a 6.5 CM off here a while back, and with a brake on it, ITS VERY LOUD. Even standing behind my buddy while he was shooting it, I felt the blast on my legs and arms. I’ve never shot a large bore rifle with a can, so how quite can they be? I’ve watched lots of you tube stuff, but it’s not the same as being there. I’m sure the 300 BO with subs do really well, but can you really quiten down a 300 WM?

heres a 300wm video
    even at 142db.. thats still really loud..
    *this video is also using full power ammo

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9t5ZskMJQ"]How loud is an unsuppressed/suppressed .300 Win Mag? - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I was disappointed in my can’s noise reduction on center fire rifles. I still have to wear ear protection to shoot.

Comment

I only own one, a .223/5.56. I was at the point of trying to sell it when I bought an AR pistol. It does cut the noise back some and that's the best use I could find for it.

Comment

I’ve got a Ruger American Ranch 300 Blk suppressed and it’s stupid quiet with subs.

Comment

My 300 mag is hearing safe with the suppressor shooting super sonic loads. Also has very little recoil. My 338 Lapua is the same. About like shooting a 243 as far as recoil goes, and I don't have to wear hearing protection with it either. Before I suppressed it, my spotter wasn't even able to stay on the spotting scope when I shot the 338. too much blast.

Comment

Originally posted by RUM Mann View Post
              I was disappointed in my can’s noise reduction on center fire rifles. I still have to wear ear protection to shoot.
              What is the make/model of your suppressor?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t need hearing protection when shooting my 270 suppressed. I use factory Federal Fusions. You will hear the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier, but still no need for ear pro. My 6.5 Creed was the same way.

Comment

Some are quite quite.

Comment

Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                    My 300 mag is hearing safe with the suppressor shooting super sonic loads. Also has very little recoil. My 338 Lapua is the same. About like shooting a 243 as far as recoil goes, and I don't have to wear hearing protection with it either. Before I suppressed it, my spotter wasn't even able to stay on the spotting scope when I shot the 338. too much blast.
                    That’s good to hear(no pun intended). What can do you have on it?

Comment

I shoot my SBR .223 rounds and it's hearing safe. It's even more quiet on my carbine length.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                        That’s good to hear(no pun intended). What can do you have on it?
                        The two listed above switch a Silencerco Hybrid between them. I have quite a few suppressors, but that is the one I use the most, mainly because of it's versatility. Heck I have used it on my HK MK23 too. It isn't as quiet as the TBAC stuff, but it a heck of a lot cheaper and it works better than good enough.

Comment

If you guys are having to wear ear pro with a suppressor I am sorry you waited and paid tax for the can. TV and movies have put unrealistic expectations in some folks heads. I will say that my 10 inch .556 SBR is one of the most unpleasant guns to shoot without a suppressor. Suppressed with no ear pro it is a pleasing sound. When I hunt, I love to hear the impact on the animal with a suppressor. Are 6.5 and similar rounds still loud, yes. However, it is a pleasing tone imo with the right can and you will not have ringing ears. The final thing I will say is that you should hear as many in person as you can. The different materials and construction mean that the tone is not the same even if DB reduction is exactly the same. Also, YouTube vids just dont cut it. If you want Hollywood buy a bolt action .22, a suppressor and sub sonic rounds.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

I have one suppressor purchase that I regret and it is a dual purpose pistol and sub only rifle can. I hate shooting suppressed pistols, other than .22 (Awkward, clunky and no real world scenarios unless you are batman)and it is horrible on sub rifles compared to a real rifle suppressor.

This vid is horrible quality but is one of my 6.5s. Full power Hornady Match 140s.

Last edited by -HIC-; 01-18-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Witchgrass View Post
                              I’m still in the initial stages of getting paperwork done For a Form 1 suppressor. I’ve got a Specter II that I love on my 22 lr. It’s really ruined me from shooting my other rifles. I Picked up a 6.5 CM off here a while back, and with a brake on it, ITS VERY LOUD. Even standing behind my buddy while he was shooting it, I felt the blast on my legs and arms. I’ve never shot a large bore rifle with a can, so how quite can they be? I’ve watched lots of you tube stuff, but it’s not the same as being there. I’m sure the 300 BO with subs do really well, but can you really quiten down a 300 WM?
                              If you are form 1'ing this thing are you building a solvent trap type deal? Or did you mean form 4?

Comment

Working...
                              X