Wildlife Exempt Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife Exempt Questions

I am looking for information about transferring property from agricultural tax exempt, to wildlife tax exempt. I am slowly preparing for applying in 2020, and there seems to be dozens of ways to handle it. I am wondering if anyone had experience with which options might be the least cost prohibitive in regards to the yearly improvements needed to meet an approved management plan.

The property sits in central Fannin County and is 40 acres of blackland clay. As small as it is, I know there will be a lot of limiting factors. i.e. I cant make quail a management goal, because the property won’t sustain a population.

My personal goals are to eventually restore a majority of the property to native blackland prairie, add a decent chunk of hard and soft mast trees, provide supplemental forage to deer via about 4ac of food plots, and increase dove usage. The prairie restoration will take time, financially, to get to and I don’t want a plan approved with that specifically listed. That way, if we are unable to afford a project of that scale in time, we haven’t violated the exemption’s management plan.

I have heard some people mention songbirds as being a fairly easy management plan, with little capital needed. But, I am not sure how easily a plan like that would get approved. I plan to have discussions with the NRCS before any decisions are made, but figured I would see if anyone here had direct experience with the process and could give me any reccomendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never pursued this, but i have realized in reading about these topics that many details are county specific. I'll be following along for thoughts.

Comment

We just did it. A 1-D-1 valuation is a subset of Ag exemption. You must have an ag exemption for 3 years before you go to a 1-D-1.

Next step and best and easiest advice - call your local TPWD Biologist. He or she will walk you through the simple process for FREE. And they will know what your county will want.

It is very simple and easy. Some counties like mine want proof of what you did - photos, receipts, calendar work days, of each of the activities you did. Some will just want an annual statement of what you did.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
        We just did it. A 1-D-1 valuation is a subset of Ag exemption. You must have an ag exemption for 3 years before you go to a 1-D-1.

Next step and best and easiest advice - call your local TPWD Biologist. He or she will walk you through the simple process for FREE. And they will know what your county will want.

It is very simple and easy. Some counties like mine want proof of what you did - photos, receipts, calendar work days, of each of the activities you did. Some will just want an annual statement of what you did.

x2

Comment

Remember a very important thing, a plan is just that, a plan. You do not have to have it all in place when you make the change, you just need to have an approved plan and be able to show the plan is in place and in process. They should allow you to put forth a basic time table so that some of the plan is being worked on at all times moving toward the end result that will then be management of the project.

Comment

Cherokee County gave me a list of things that I could do to move to WE. Didn't have to do all of them, and most of them were things I was already doing. Supplemental feeding, brush piles for small game, erosion control, water, timber stand improvement, and more. I documented it with receipts and pictures. Got it in a week or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post

Fortunately the place has been Ag exempt for years and years. That’s a great idea about talking to the TPWD biologist as well. I don’t really know why I hadn’t thought of that.

Comment

I am switching ASAP. I have to write a narrative explaining my goals and such along with describing the practices I already and/or plan to do in the future. You have to meet some criteria regarding wildlife per my tax assessor. Feeders, food plots, water, game cams, etc etc etc are some of the things that I plan on including in my application. You can also provide pictures of said things.

I’ll touch base here as I get the ball rolling.

Skinny

Comment

We switched to wildlife exempt in 2017. Fairly easy process but it has to be by the County you are in and every county has different requirements so check with your County Tax office/appraisal district.

Comment

What are the benefits of WE?

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
                      No need for livestock or hay production

Comment

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
                        No need for livestock or hay production

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post

Yep. Though, I like that they allow you to use grazing as a management tool. It could help offset some expenses to have a neighbor pay a little for grazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Cherokee County gave me a list of things that I could do to move to WE. Didn't have to do all of them, and most of them were things I was already doing. Supplemental feeding, brush piles for small game, erosion control, water, timber stand improvement, and more. I documented it with receipts and pictures. Got it in a week or so.
                          Fact

Comment

Contacting a TPWD biologist is not needed for filing a 1-D-1 tax valuation. First contact the county tax appraisal office and talk to them about the specific county requirements. They will provide you their forms that need to be completed and tell you what other information they will want. As others have mentioned, typically they will require you to do at least 3 of 7 qualifying activities. You will likely need to document what you do and every year or few years they will ask you for an update.

I have had the wildlife valuation on our place since we bought it 7 years ago and have only been asked for an update once by Kimble County. I have shared my plan with a number of members here and would continue too. Anyone who would like to view it can send me a PM with an email address and I will get around to it (don't get upset if it takes a few days).

Also, I received a flyer in the mail this week from Plateau Wildlife Management and signed up to view\participate in one the free webinars they are hosting on this subject in the next month or so. Helping people write plans and maybe even executing them is what they do for a living. Now I don't advocate spending money to put a plan together because it is easy, but I am all about taking advantage of free information. Look them up and register https://plateauwildlife.com/event-directory/

Tim

Comment

Here’s a link with some info. This is another place that provides a service helping folks get WE.

Texas Wildlife Management helps Texas landowners acquire and retain wildlife tax exemptions on their land. Landmark Wildlife Plans! 512.906.9491

Skinny

Comment

Working...
                              X