X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most Underrated Cartridges

What do you think?

For me:

.40 S&W. Coming in just behind the 10mm (not by much) and packaged in a handgun the same size as a 9mm while only dropping a couple rounds in capacity to a 9mm. What’s not to love?

30-06: it’s just boring. Very boring. But, it does everything from launching 110’s at 3500fps to being a decent mid range rifle to shooting 220 grain thumpers. It just works. In a boring way.

357 sig

Comment

No offense, but the 40 is so obsolete that it really will probably phase out of any mainstream use in the next 5 years. I'm cool with an .06

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have to say .204 is extremely underrated in my opinion. I’ve killed coyotes, pigs, deer(whitetail,axis and sika) and even Red Stag with the round and haven’t had to track them very far if at all...

My second underrated caliber weapon would have to be a trusty ol 30-30.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jstamps50 View Post
          No offense, but the 40 is so obsolete that it really will probably phase out of any mainstream use in the next 5 years. I'm cool with an .06

Could be, but law enforcement changes guns about as often as they change underwear. I wouldn’t be surprised if FBI went back to a 40, 10, or something like a 9x25 in 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
            Could be, but law enforcement changes guns about as often as they change underwear. I wouldn’t be surprised if FBI went back to a 40, 10, or something like a 9x25 in 5 years.
            I believe Austin and San Antonio police issue smith & wesson m&p 40s

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
              What do you think?

For me:

30-06: it’s just boring. Very boring. But, it does everything from launching 110’s at 3500fps to being a decent mid range rifle to shooting 220 grain thumpers. It just works. In a boring way.
              It may be boring but not underrated! Probably one of the best all around calibers out there!

Comment

35 Whelen for me

Comment

I wouldn’t bury the forty short and weak just yet. The same was said of the 10mm just a few years back. Some people don’t care what leos use.

Comment

Originally posted by jstamps50 View Post

I have heard the same on the .40. New 9mm rounds out there today do everything the .40 was designed for.

I still hunt with an -06 as well. The old adage of why fix something that isn’t broke.

Comment

41 mag do the math todays 10mm
                      Last edited by waterdog; 02-19-2020, 09:33 PM.

Comment

I’m a big 30-06 fan. Had a custom built.

Comment

30-06 is definitely not an underrated caliber

Comment

I don't care what Leo's use at all. (And I am one) I fought the 40 craze for years. But when the kinetic energy transfer and wound channel trauma difference between the 9, 40 and 45 are almost non existent yet the rate of fire and target re-acquisition of a 9mm and secondly the 45 is just too superior to the 40. The 357 sig was just a bad joke. Overall the pros of a 9mm are just too great. Including capacity.

Comment

Revolver caliber to me is a 45 Colt and 44 Special.
                              Semi auto would be 357Sig
                              Shotgun would be 28 gauge
                              Bolt Rifle would be 7x57 Mauser because it is basically a old version of a 7mm-08
                              Lever rifle would be a 38-55 WCF

Comment

Working...
                              X