Pronghorn Outfitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pronghorn Outfitter

Anyone have any experiences they’d like to share? Leaning towards somewhere in Wyoming but open to just about anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following

Comment

My brother & I hunted with Thomas Ranch Outfitters in 2017. They are near Hulett, WY, NE corner of WY and close to Devils Tower.

We were very satisfied with this outfitter & had no real regrets. I got the one in my avatar the 1st day, my bother got his the 2nd day. Small outfitter - owner/guide with cook/wife and another guide if needed. Good accommodations - not the lap of luxury (not that I need that), but then cost was among the lowest I found.

The area of this hunt was a bonus. Devils Tower is a must see as is Mount Rushmore since you are that close. Also, about 8-10 miles down the road from the outfitter is a prairie dog town that anybody can go to & blast away. That was super fun too - especially as a free 'add-on'.

Hunt was 3 days & outfitter expected you to stick around even if you'd killed out - he knows there is enough to do around there that filling the 3rd day is easy.

Also, I've been told that drawing a antelope tag for the eastern half of the state is fairly easy, while the west side is much less so. We drew tags on the 1st try.

I do hope to hunt Antelope again. If I don't use this outfitter again, it'll simply be a desire to see just a little bit different part of Wyoming.

My pronghorn measured about 69", which I believe would be about equivalent to a 140" whitetail buck. 80" I think is minimum for B&C. Shot was 300-350 yards - not positive. My brother & I each missed one. I think my miss was low, so on the one I got, I aimed at the top of his back and bullet hit about perfect just behind shoulder - for whatever drop that amounts to.

Anyway, pick an outfitter & do it. And don't forget to ask about shooting prairie dogs, if that appeals to you.

Comment

Do you have any PP for Wyoming ?
        The Eastern side is where you can draw with 0 PP, mostly private land.

If you have PP an outfitter is not needed, you can really do a 0 PP area without one too.

I don't want to speak badly on all outfitters but I do know many take multitudes of 12 inch bucks, and under , and pass them off as nice mature bucks. They are not usually, they are just young bucks. Always exceptions to that though.
        Not all fall into this category but we see it all the time. You can find a 12 inch buck without much work at all in any area.
        Make 15" your goal and let them know this.

82" is minimum for B&C book, 80" makes awards.

Find one with many acres to hunt, up here that is more than 10,000.

Our public land hunting in most areas is great, just accrue some PP and come up for a DIY hunt if you can. Areas without the "difficult access" , and some with it, are good hunting. You avoid opening week and you will not have pressure issues. Antelope are literally everywhere, below the mountains.

I would choose to fish before shooting PDs but that's just me, spawning trout are a blast to catch.

And, wait to apply til after this winter is over and we get the population numbers and season quotas.
        Winter kill may be an issue in some areas. We'll have a good idea by April.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          Do you have any PP for Wyoming ?
          The Eastern side is where you can draw with 0 PP, mostly private land.

If you have PP an outfitter is not needed, you can really do a 0 PP area without one too.

I don't want to speak badly on all outfitters but I do know many take multitudes of 12 inch bucks, and under , and pass them off as nice mature bucks. They are not usually, they are just young bucks. Always exceptions to that though.
          Not all fall into this category but we see it all the time. You can find a 12 inch buck without much work at all in any area.
          Make 15" your goal and let them know this.

82" is minimum for B&C book, 80" makes awards.

Find one with many acres to hunt, up here that is more than 10,000.

Our public land hunting in most areas is great, just accrue some PP and come up for a DIY hunt if you can. Areas without the "difficult access" , and some with it, are good hunting. You avoid opening week and you will not have pressure issues. Antelope are literally everywhere, below the mountains.

I would choose to fish before shooting PDs but that's just me, spawning trout are a blast to catch.

And, wait to apply til after this winter is over and we get the population numbers and season quotas.
          Winter kill may be an issue in some areas. We'll have a good idea by April.
          The only thing I would add to this is that the Eastern part of the state is getting harder to draw without at least one preference point. We used to draw every year no problem, but looking at the draw odds this year looks like about a 90% chance. That’s still good odds, but somebody is gonna fall in that 20% bracket.

My advice is to go any way you can if you can draw a tag. Antelope hunting is fun ! If by some chance you don’t draw, get a PP and go next year. You won’t regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            The only thing I would add to this is that the Eastern part of the state is getting harder to draw without at least one preference point. We used to draw every year no problem, but looking at the draw odds this year looks like about a 90% chance. That’s still good odds, but somebody is gonna fall in that 20% bracket.

My advice is to go any way you can if you can draw a tag. Antelope hunting is fun ! If by some chance you don’t draw, get a PP and go next year. You won’t regret it.
            I agree wholeheartedly. It seems you'll need at least 1 PP in the future as antelope are indeed fun to hunt and pretty easy to fill your tag.

Comment

My opinion an Antelope hunting is that unless an outfitter has access to private land with some known (not possibly, but definitely there) B&C class bucks, you do not need to spend your money with them.
              There is so much public land here in this state that I just don't think you need one.

Comment

Bump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                  My opinion an Antelope hunting is that unless an outfitter has access to private land with some known (not possibly, but definitely there) B&C class bucks, you do not need to spend your money with them.
                  There is so much public land here in this state that I just don't think you need one.

Yep this. Put in for some preference points for a bit then go hunt

Comment

I hunted with Intense Trophy Outfitters last year out of Mountain Air NM. Awesome outfit, pronghorn were not near the top of my list but after hunting them, I can't wait to do it again, that was the funnest hunt I have ever done. I jumped the gun and killed early not knowing what to expect, I shot a really nice one but next time, I will hold out and glass a ton of animals.

Comment

$38 to buy a preference point

Comment

We use Tye Lightfoot out of NM. We have always had a Great time and killed goats.

Comment

I went on my first pronghorn bowhunt this season. We used Werner Ranch, which is about an hour NE of Douglas, WY. There were 6 guys in camp, and everyone got one.

I would hunt with them again!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input.

Comment

Table Mountain has a ton of land and a 99% success rate.
                              If you want closer to home High Desert Hunting Company hunts in South East Colorado and has great trophy opportunities.

Comment

Working...
                              X