Picking a new bow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking a new bow

I’ve shot a bow for 15 years or so. Had a few Mathews Drenalins and a Z7 and now a Z7 extreme. Considering buying a newer bow and man I just can’t decide what to buy.

Putting in for elk in NM next year is the plan. 60-70# bow. Needs to be quiet for hill country deer and fast to beat some of their jump. But there’s so many options these days I don’t know how the heck I’ll get to shoot a bunch to try them out. Passed up a bunch on here because I’m worried I won’t like how they shoot.

How do you pick one with a million options these days? Coolest looking and go with it?

Gonna shoot the new bows in the next couple months along with a vertical or triax.

Never had a split limb bow. Harder to tune those? A pro shop will tune whatever I buy. I use double G or archery country.

I think I will get a new bow this next year too. Well it probably wont be brand new, but new to me.

Comment

Go to your pro shop and shoot every bow they'll let you shoot. That's what I did and settled on an Elite E35.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Look into the new elite kure..

I'd be interested in your z7x if you decide to sell

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          I think I will get a new bow this next year too. Well it probably wont be brand new, but new to me.
          I'm starting to getting the itch as well

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
            I’ve shot a bow for 15 years or so. Had a few Mathews Drenalins and a Z7 and now a Z7 extreme. Considering buying a newer bow and man I just can’t decide what to buy.

Putting in for elk in NM next year is the plan. 60-70# bow. Needs to be quiet for hill country deer and fast to beat some of their jump. But there’s so many options these days I don’t know how the heck I’ll get to shoot a bunch to try them out. Passed up a bunch on here because I’m worried I won’t like how they shoot.

How do you pick one with a million options these days? Coolest looking and go with it?

Gonna shoot the new bows in the next couple months along with a vertical or triax.

Never had a split limb bow. Harder to tune those? A pro shop will tune whatever I buy. I use double G or archery country.
            I'm an admitted bow junky....its a problem. Over the past few years, I've tried the flagship bow from pretty much every company. This year, I gave Mathews a spin and bought a Traverse. In my opinion, it's the absolute best all around bow on the market. Smooth, fast, quiet, looks good, etc. If you haven't shot one, do yourself a favor and give one a try.

Comment

Matthew's! Bestest bows eva!

Comment

Originally posted by ArcherAG 93 View Post
                I'm an admitted bow junky....its a problem. Over the past few years, I've tried the flagship bow from pretty much every company. This year, I gave Mathews a spin and bought a Traverse. In my opinion, it's the absolute best all around bow on the market. Smooth, fast, quiet, looks good, etc. If you haven't shot one, do yourself a favor and give one a try.
                I’ll check it out. Likely keep my Z7 as a backup too.

Comment

I’m a bit of a nut myself. I think in the last few years bow manufacturers have hit a wall and allowed for everyone that was behind to catch up. That being said, I believe fitment and feel is the most important thing. I shoot a triax right now and will buy a new bow in the upcoming months when bows are released. I will however shoot them all - Elite, Mathews, Bowtech, Prime, and maybe even a Hoyt. For me and as mentioned, I care about how fits me, not the claimed performance metrics.

Comment

Someone already said it but go to a pro shop and shoot every bow that you want. I’m a Mathews man.... I’ve heard there new ones are the real deal!

Comment

I bought a new Mathews Traverse this year, I like it pretty good. If you can go to good shop that offers several brands, that may be the first step. You may not like a Traverse and want a Hoyt, just depends on how it fits you.

I cannot honestly say that Mathews is the best or Hoyt or Bowtech. I shot a Bowtech Realm the other day and almost regretted my Mathews purchase.

Comment

I bought a Triax this past summer and loved it. Buddy suggested I try an Obsession. I ended up selling the Triax and buying 2 Obsession Bows. My favorite of the 2 ended up being a 5 yr old bow and I couldn’t even tell. Comparing to the Triax I seriously can say it doesn’t. Way better draw cycle, very smooth, quiet, fast, accurate and grip is 100 times more comfortable. Letoff of 80% was great as well.

Comment

Fastest, fairly light, and still shoots smooth= bowtech srs next bowtech realm x has 1/2 more brace.
                          Also go to a shop with xpedition and obsession- faster than Mathews and lighter.
                          Good luck

Comment

My point was that shooting every bow will take forever lol. There’s a ton to choose from.

Anybody been to west Houston archery to compare it to archery country and double g?

Comment

Just go to a shop that has 3-4 of the bigger brands. It really doesn’t take that long to shoot 3-4 and start narrowing it down.
                              Honestly they are all fast and quiet enough. Just see what you like.
                              Since you mentioned elk hunting I would look at ones that are 32-34” axle to axle. I think the owner of this website landed on a Traverse partly for that reason.
                              Prime and Elite have released their new bows. I’m sure Mathews, Hoyt and Bowtech aren’t far behind for whatever that is worth.
                              Last edited by Miller; 11-07-2019, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X