Most Underrated Cartridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
    By sayin the 9mm out performs the higher velocity 357sig you are basically saying a 257 Roberts out perform a 25-06 or 30-30 out performs 308.

No way the same bullet is out preformed by a slower variant unless the bullet is over expanding, if that’s the case you change bullets to handle the higher the impact velocity.

It takes +p+ loads for the 9 to make 357 sig velocities, the physics don’t add up for it to be out preformed
    I am just repeating data put out by the manufacturer. I didn’t make up.

Add in the fact that the Federal HST doesn’t offer the same options in 357 Sig as the do in 9mm.

All of the following are Federal HST from their own data.

My department issues 9mm 147gr.

Bare Gelatin. Depth / Caliber after expansion
    9mm 124gr. 11” / .85
    9mm 147gr 12” / .85
    .357S 125gr 11” / .83

147 better in both.

Heavy Clothing
    9mm 124gr 12” / .59
    9mm 147gr. 12.5 / .69
    .357S 125gr. 12.5 / .64

Same penetration 147 better expansion

Auto Door Steel
    9mm 124gr. 18 / .39
    9mm 147gr. 17.5 / .43
    .357S 125gr. 20.5 / .43

125 better penetration same expansion

Wallboard
    9mm 124gr. 12.25 / .65
    9mm 147gr. 13.25 / .70
    .357S 125gr. 12.25 / .62

147 better in both.

Auto Windshield Glass
    9mm 124gr. 9.25” / .66
    9mm 147gr. 11” / .68
    .357S 125gr. 10” / .56

147 better in both.

Conclusion from Federal... if you shoot someone through a car door, the .357 has better depth. The rest? All 147 9mm. Even standard velocity 9mm usually has better results than .357 but what does Federal know about their own ammo....

Even so, the data shows that they are virtually identical which is all that I have said all along. I don’t consider a couple of hundredths of an inch in expansion or slightly different penetration as really any difference.

Then it comes down to capacity and recovery time/recoil.

I took physics in high school and made good grades but I’m not sure how that makes Federal’s data wrong. Maybe Federal is fudging the numbers on the .357Sig from their own tests for some ulterior motive.

Comment

.220 Swift

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
        I am just repeating data put out by the manufacturer. I didn’t make up.

Add in the fact that the Federal HST doesn’t offer the same options in 357 Sig as the do in 9mm.

All of the following are Federal HST from their own data.

My department issues 9mm 147gr.

Bare Gelatin. Depth / Caliber after expansion
        9mm 124gr. 11” / .85
        9mm 147gr 12” / .85
        .357S 125gr 11” / .83

147 better in both.

Heavy Clothing
        9mm 124gr 12” / .59
        9mm 147gr. 12.5 / .69
        .357S 125gr. 12.5 / .64

Same penetration 147 better expansion

Auto Door Steel
        9mm 124gr. 18 / .39
        9mm 147gr. 17.5 / .43
        .357S 125gr. 20.5 / .43

125 better penetration same expansion

Wallboard
        9mm 124gr. 12.25 / .65
        9mm 147gr. 13.25 / .70
        .357S 125gr. 12.25 / .62

147 better in both.

Auto Windshield Glass
        9mm 124gr. 9.25” / .66
        9mm 147gr. 11” / .68
        .357S 125gr. 10” / .56

147 better in both.

Conclusion from Federal... if you shoot someone through a car door, the .357 has better depth. The rest? All 147 9mm. Even standard velocity 9mm usually has better results than .357 but what does Federal know about their own ammo....

Even so, the data shows that they are virtually identical which is all that I have said all along. I don’t consider a couple of hundredths of an inch in expansion or slightly different penetration as really any difference.

Then it comes down to capacity and recovery time/recoil.

I took physics in high school and made good grades but I’m not sure how that makes Federal’s data wrong. Maybe Federal is fudging the numbers on the .357Sig from their own tests for some ulterior motive.

Lol that’s not a scientific test that’s a sales brochure. Why didn’t they use same bullets in the 357sig?

They arent comparing the caliber in those tests, they are comparing Federal ammo offerings, that they choose to test.

I can pick and choose different controls to make a 380 out perform a 9mm, but that would be a measure of that particular ammo not caliber.

Again 357sig is higher in velocity if you used identical FMJ bullets loaded to Sammi pressures, the 357 sig out performs the 9mm.

KE is a very simple formula
        Last edited by Texans42; 02-23-2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Doesn't matter & picking the fly crap out of the pepper...why do you think DPS abandoned the 357sig if it's significantly superior?? The gains are not going to cause any agency to pick the sig over the 40 or 9.

If ballistic tests were the only thing that mattered, every LE agency would have adopted the 10mm.

Lol that’s not a scientific test that’s a sales brochure. Why didn’t they use same bullets in the 357sig?

They arent comparing the caliber in those tests, they are comparing Federal ammo offerings, that they choose to test.

I can pick and choose different controls to make a 380 out perform a 9mm, but that would be a measure of that particular ammo not caliber.

Again 357sig is higher in velocity if you used identical FMJ bullets loaded to Sammi pressures, the 357 sig out performs the 9mm.

Comment

But we don’t use FMJ in defense or LE applications.

What would any ammo manufacturer have to gain by showing in caliber to favor over the others?

As to the 357 Sig using 125 grain bullets, that’s the standard law enforcement Bullet used in the 357 Sig. I’m not aware of anyone loading a heavier self defense round for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

What would any ammo manufacturer have to gain by showing in caliber to favor over the others?

As to the 357 Sig using 125 grain bullets, that’s the standard law enforcement Bullet used in the 357 Sig. I’m not aware of anyone loading a heavier self defense round for it.

I get they don’t use fmj, point is in testing bullets, bullets are designed around impact velocities,
              , fmj isn’t effected by impact velocity(it’s a true control). But none the less Why didn’t they reciprocate bullets across both cartridges? The federal brochure isn’t a test of performance of different cartridges. It’s two bullets and two different powder charges with a random bullet tossed in to a 357sig

I carry 147gr via Double tap and velocity is almost 300 ft/s more the the federal 9mm Hts load. That’s a big difference for a pistol caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                Doesn't matter & picking the fly crap out of the pepper...why do you think DPS abandoned the 357sig if it's significantly superior?? The gains are not going to cause any agency to pick the sig over the 40 or 9.

If ballistic tests were the only thing that mattered, every LE agency would have adopted the 10mm.
                Not disagreeing simply stating the its impossible for two exact bullets to have the exact same performance while having a large swing in velocity.
                Last edited by Texans42; 02-23-2020, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Lots of ballistic experts up in herra

Comment

7X57
                    .260 Rem
                    .35 Whelen
                    .444 Marlin

Comment

By sayin the 9mm out performs the higher velocity 357sig you are basically saying a 257 Roberts out perform a 25-06 or 30-30 out performs 308.

No way the same bullet is out preformed by a slower variant unless the bullet is over expanding, if that’s the case you change bullets to handle the higher the impact velocity.

It takes +p+ loads for the 9 to make 357 sig velocities, the physics don’t add up for it to be out preformed
                      Didn’t you never not know 300 blackout and 300 win mag are virtually identical in ballistics?

Oh, wait.......

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                        I recovered (and still have) a 115 grain Cor Bon DPX 9mm solid copper bullet that went straight through a pig's skull after I shot it on a gravel road.. And kicks less.

I don't see how .40 is underrated or superior to other mainstream pistol calibers. If you can't put someone down with modern hollow point ammunition from 9mm, .40, or .45 than you need a rifle or shotgun.
                        The real problem with most auto pistol ammo is expansion.
                        Expansion comes from speed.
                        I shoot the 155s out of a 5" spring field with a beefed up spring @ a little over 1400 fps.
                        That gets you over 600 fp and I promise it kicks way less than my 10mm did.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Still no .22hornet lovers.....

Comment

But KE doesn’t kill.

Bleeding does.....

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Didn’t you know ??

Federal is trying to convince the public to buy their cheaper ammo and leave their more expensive stuff in the shelf.

Comment

Working...
                              X