No announcement yet.

SW Colorado OTC archery elk changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was implemented due to dropping herd numbers and low calf recruitment. Also you can't keep having an unlimited number of people chasing a limited resource eventually something has to change

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
      It was implemented due to dropping herd numbers and low calf recruitment. Also you can't keep having an unlimited number of people chasing a limited resource eventually something has to change

I totally agree! I am just hoping that herd Management is the driving factor. Also for us that are starting with zero points this year it should be a pretty easy draw. I am curious to see if they will have either sex tags for archery in these units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Is that gonna effect private land as far as having to draw for a tag?

Comment

I don't mind the change, but what I find odd is the fact that rifle remains unlimited in teh 23 GMUs.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
            What is your question here?

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
              So they change the otc bow hunts to draw only and do nothing to the gun hunts? Why would they do this? I
              I don’t understand this if they are trying to lower the harvest numbers. Isn’t archery success around 9% statewide on archery and around 22% gun success statewide. I would assume a lot more gun hunters than bow hunters also, so I don’t really see why the gun hunts didn’t change too.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                What is your question here?
                If. You're hunting private land, will you still have to draw?

Comment

read all about it...https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforu...orum=5#4887520

Comment

The study I read was there was too many people pressuring the elk during the rut and it was occurring later in the season.. which caused the calves to be born too late and not survive the following season. This is all about calf mortality to increase the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                      So they change the otc bow hunts to draw only and do nothing to the gun hunts? Why would they do this? I
                      I don’t understand this if they are trying to lower the harvest numbers. Isn’t archery success around 9% statewide on archery and around 22% gun success statewide. I would assume a lot more gun hunters than bow hunters also, so I don’t really see why the gun hunts didn’t change too.
                      That's common sense, but there is no common sense in government!

Comment

Yes, but most large LO’ers already put in for LO tags for the more coveted 1st and 4th rifles seasons, so they will just do the same for archery

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                          The study I read was there was too many people pressuring the elk during the rut and it was occurring later in the season.. which caused the calves to be born too late and not survive the following season. This is all about calf mortality to increase the herd.
                          Sure calf mortality has nothing to do with the 30 year Record High Blk bear recruitment

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                            Sure calf mortality has nothing to do with the 30 year Record High Blk bear recruitment
                            Any changes on black bear?

Comment

Any changes on black bear?
                              Last year they dropped tag fees to I think $100, to In courage more participation, but with out a spring season or early season it’s not real effective.

Think of it this way, say you are hunting pagosa and are 4 miles back hunting elk, see a bear and shot it. Now you have to pack it out, then spend a day taking it to Durango to get it sealed.

On top of that by third season they are pretty much denned

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
                                Last year they dropped tag fees to I think $100, to In courage more participation, but with out a spring season or early season it’s not real effective.

Think of it this way, say you are hunting pagosa and are 4 miles back hunting elk, see a bear and shot it. Now you have to pack it out, then spend a day taking it to Durango to get it sealed.

On top of that by third season they are pretty much denned
                                Spring bear for a $100 would be cool as hail!

Comment

Working...
                                X