No announcement yet.

Diesel gurus - input needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave it alone until you start having emission issues.......

Comment

It's getting hard to find delete pipes and tunes. I've deleted the last 5 trucks i've owned. I would have suggested PPEI tunes with EZ Lynk and a Flo pro delete pipe, but can't get that stuff anymore as of a few months ago. I think PPEI only offers tunes that don't clear codes if you delete it, which is worthless. Don't listen to the advice above about tuning a truck and not taking the emissions off. You're just asking for problems if you do that.

Those Duramaxes get awesome mpg deleted.
      Last edited by Arrowthreat; 12-19-2019, 08:05 AM.

Comment

I would spend the money on durability upgrades, not chasing mpg's. Look at it this way, assume you spend $1500 and manage to get 3 mpg. Assume diesel is $2.65/gal and you drive 50 miles/day 6 days a week. Assume bone stock you get 15 mpg and after your upgrades you get 18 mpg. It will take you 3.27 years to see a return on your investment.

It almost never makes sense to spend money on mpg improvements, the payback period is just too long....unless you drive a crap ton of miles.

Comment

I hear a LOT of good thing about the stealth tuners for non deleted trucks. No programming/flashing etc. plug and play for most trucks. There are some who will still delete and will sell the parts etc, they just dont advertise and its by word of mouth no days.

Unlock the best performance in your Powerstroke, Cummins, and Duramax with our warranty friendly plug-n-play device called the Stealth Module. Experience the best out of your Hellcat, Hemi, and more with our gas tunes. We are a trusted small business helping creating top-rated performance products.

Comment

Originally posted by KDinTX View Post
            I hear a LOT of good thing about the stealth tuners for non deleted trucks. No programming/flashing etc. plug and play for most trucks. There are some who will still delete and will sell the parts etc, they just dont advertise and its by word of mouth no days.

https://www.stealthmodules.com/
            Less interested in power, more interested in MPG increase...anybody know if these help?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_g View Post
              Solid rigs, besides the injector pump. At a minimum, I would recommend a Fass fuel system and a WCFab disaster Prevention kit as cheap insurance. If the Cp4 grenades, the entire fuel system has to be replaced which is about $10k.

The EPA pushed so much recently that many delete options are off of the market. We currently use CTT emissions intact tuning which leaves all of the factory exhaust/egr parts on the vehicle (and legal). We're fairly local to you and can help you out if you have any questions...

Also, look into the Cat fuel filter adapters, saves a ton of money over time!

Maxwell Competition Diesel in Brenham, Texas

Where’s yalls shop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's been a few years since I did the math..But here's the jist of it..If you want it for more power,then go for it.
                For fuel mileage it ain't worth it.If diesel prices stay somewhat similar to what they are,you'd have to drive it a half million miles to break even in fuel/vs the cost of the tune.I was looking at $1300 for the Banks,and install + exhaust..To get 20mpg out of my then new 6.7 Cummins..You have to break it down to pennies to get an accurate weigh.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

OP, the tuner is the bulk of your expense. So if you are buying one, might as well just spend an extra $100 or so for the pipe between the downpipe to the tail pipe. You don't have to run a +100hp tune, you can run stock power levels, and the tail pipe will still look stock. If tuned right, it will not blow black smoke.

If you drive good, you don't need to worry about getting in any trouble. It's the guys with more money then sense that are getting busted because they want to smoke out a Prius, or race their 3/4 ton truck like it's a Camaro.

Comment

I'm with Matt and 175.

Protect the fuel system, maybe throw a cold air intake on and just drive it. I did the full delete and tune on my last truck and realized a whopping 1 - 1.5 mpg increase

Comment

Diesel gurus - input needed

Lee speaking from guy that knows a guy that owns a deleted diesel, I wouldn’t look at deletes. Many tuners are no longer selling them and the EPA is cracking down. I expect to see emissions testing on diesels in Texas in the near future.

There’s emissions intact tuning available that will do what you need.

Calibrated Power and CTT tuning are 2 that come to mind right off.

I wouldn’t bother with a box programmer, spend a little extra and get tunes like you want. I’d get one that can be changed on the fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Keep it stock until the DEF system acts up and it’s not in warranty. Not sure on year limit on the warranty, but my 13 was in the shop 4 times with def issues. 5th time wasn’t under warranty got it deleted and tuned. Now I get 21mpg as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The duramax I had was pre def but tuned via H&S. The truck would flat scream till it ran out of fuel. I added a pump and it was crazy what it would do with 35" tires. Had I not traded it off Im sure something would have blown up eventually but all the sportscar tears would have been worth it

and did average 23 mpg to alabama and back. hand calculated

Comment

Try reaching out to Cody at Bare Knuckles Diesel in Haslet - (817) 721-7376. He really knows his stuff and has great tunes, exhaust, cold air, etc. options. Prices are great and customer service is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              The duramax I had was pre def but tuned via H&S. The truck would flat scream till it ran out of fuel. I added a pump and it was crazy what it would do with 35" tires. Had I not traded it off Im sure something would have blown up eventually but all the sportscar tears would have been worth it

and did average 23 mpg to alabama and back. hand calculated
                              What year did you have. I have an 05 1 ton .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                                What year did you have. I have an 05 1 ton .

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I still have the tuner but its vin locked. If you can find someone to unlock it you can have it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X