No announcement yet.

Know anyone with COVID-19?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did a little math the other day with some numbers I found online. Based on numbers from Italy and China, which match surprisingly well, they've experienced about 1150 confirmed cases per million population. That's for Italy and the Hubei region of China, where Wuhan is. China as a whole is about 10 cases per million, if you can trust their numbers. At that time, the US was at under 300 cases per million. So, in the hardest hit countries, 1 in 1000 caught the virus and had it bad enough to go to the doctor. That's 0.1%. Some reports say that maybe 80% of infected people never seek care or testing because they have a mild reaction. Even still, that's about 0.5% infected.

Going back to the confirmed cases, 0.1% of the population, 3-4% of those cases died. That adds up to 0.003% of their populations. If you use the lower infection rate from the US, around 0.03% at the time I did these calculations, you're down to 0.0009% death rate in the US.

Yes, that's still a lot of people in raw numbers, about 315,000 Americans, but as a percentage of our population, it's not end of the world stuff. The US currently experiences about 8900 deaths per million population annually without this virus, that's 3.1 million deaths annually, or 10x as many people as will die with Covid-19. Additionally, the overwhelming majority of those dying with Covid are in poor health anyway, and many would likely have died from some other infection within the year.

Clearly, that doesn't make it less tragic when they die, don't misunderstand me, I'm just not seeing why this virus is such a huge deal. We didn't do all this when Ebola came to the US, or any of the various other novel diseases spawned out of Asia.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Up to 16 coworkers at HCSO now.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
        The Health Department just called and her test was negative. Great news. Took about 4 days for the results.
        Awesome news. How is she feeling now?

Comment

We lost a close friend that was sick . She was in a facility that 11 staff members tested positive . As for now we don’t know of it was corona or her underlining medical condition.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            Awesome news. How is she feeling now?
            She has felt fine, just some headaches but I think that is stress. No breathing issues at all. I think it was more out of an abundance of caution due to proximity to the deceased.

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
              I did a little math the other day with some numbers I found online. Based on numbers from Italy and China, which match surprisingly well, they've experienced about 1150 confirmed cases per million population. That's for Italy and the Hubei region of China, where Wuhan is. China as a whole is about 10 cases per million, if you can trust their numbers. At that time, the US was at under 300 cases per million. So, in the hardest hit countries, 1 in 1000 caught the virus and had it bad enough to go to the doctor. That's 0.1%. Some reports say that maybe 80% of infected people never seek care or testing because they have a mild reaction. Even still, that's about 0.5% infected.

Going back to the confirmed cases, 0.1% of the population, 3-4% of those cases died. That adds up to 0.003% of their populations. If you use the lower infection rate from the US, around 0.03% at the time I did these calculations, you're down to 0.0009% death rate in the US.

Yes, that's still a lot of people in raw numbers, about 315,000 Americans, but as a percentage of our population, it's not end of the world stuff. The US currently experiences about 8900 deaths per million population annually without this virus, that's 3.1 million deaths annually, or 10x as many people as will die with Covid-19. Additionally, the overwhelming majority of those dying with Covid are in poor health anyway, and many would likely have died from some other infection within the year.

Clearly, that doesn't make it less tragic when they die, don't misunderstand me, I'm just not seeing why this virus is such a huge deal. We didn't do all this when Ebola came to the US, or any of the various other novel diseases spawned out of Asia.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
              Don't try to talk reality with those irrationally frightened. It only frustrates you and ****** them off.

Gary

Comment

Working...
              X