Stocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mossback View Post
    I don’t always agree with you but this is [emoji817]% correct. The information and research is out there and very easy to find. There are lots of good ideas from the redneck network on tbh etc but you need to educate yourself and make sure you are making very calculated decisions. Don’t get you’re face ripped off
    Agree as well

Comment

Originally posted by ntxshooter View Post
      I will spend some time reading through that

Randy I know I can't be an investing genius without a lot of hard work, experience and practice, I just don't want to be the idiot that has something blow up in their face

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
        How do I go about to buying stock?

I am ready to invest, have $1,200 from good Ol Trump to get started- maybe one day I will be rich like him with the money he gave me..

Robin Hood or TD Ameritrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          Brian, honestly, I don’t know, but I am sure there e are books available to teach these things, but I don’t know which one to suggest. I learned to read a balance sheet and income statement in accounting classes in college. I furthered that through years as a commercial banker lending to businesses, although deciding whether to lend a corporation money vs investing in it is somewhat different. Then 27 years in the investment business has added more callouses and understanding. There are some good books out there to read, and I’m sure someone will mention some.

The stock market is fickle. It can and does humble the most seasoned investors. Investing in stocks is not a sure thing, and there will be losers. The key is to have your winners outnumber your losers. Reggie Jackson did not hit home runs every time he stepped up to bat.

Most people would not hesitate to call a repairman to fix their air conditioner or whatever when they could learn to do it themselves, yet they will do whatever they can to save fees when investing and “go it on their own” with no idea what they are doing. The systems are in place for folks to invest, but they should have the knowledge to know what they are doing. The best way to make money in the market is to try not to lose it first!
          Very true. I didn't do 27 years in investments, but I did write algorithms for a small private management firm for 250k+ only clients. What I learned is even with advanced knowledge, the data is only as useful as the person looking at it.

I'd say the most basic and important thing is to learn to read a balance sheet and income statement. Then learn not to just be able to read it, but understand it and be able to extract ideas from it, especially over a period of time. This is useful for more things than stocks. My dads last job was at the steel mill, and after the bearing business spun them off as a separate entity, I pointed out to them they had almost no cash and as much assets as liabilities. He left and got his job here in texas closer to grandson and now during corona the steel mill has laid off folks that have never been laid off before.

Investing specific advice is different, but the above is a good start

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            I will spend some time reading through that

Randy I know I can't be an investing genius without a lot of hard work, experience and practice, I just don't want to be the idiot that has something blow up in their face
            Brian , the Bogleheads (I have never read or studied it) apparently have some great information, but it is more directed in more overall strategy and allocation. It does not address investing in individual stocks, which Vanguard does not do.

Call me anytime you have any questions if I can be of assistance.

Comment

Anyone still doing well? I tried my hand on a couple of purchases when everything tanked, but now they're not doing so hot. I haven't lost big, but I've lost what I gained when I first bought.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

You don’t gain or loose until you sell. If bought solid companies sometimes just have to hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                  You don’t gain or loose until you sell. If bought solid companies sometimes just have to hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Agreed, and I'm still holding them. Just thinking about cutting my current losses and looking elsewhere.

Comment

Sold my United today, I made an original profit and then bought back in. Sold for a loss. Quickly reinvested and made that money back, although at the same time I did that I purchased another stock and lost money pretty quickly, basically a wash. This market is crazy. Right now all of the electric vehicles/Green companies have been doing pretty well for me.

Comment

Took a beating today. I'm not going to look at it for a while.

Comment

I am just going to hold on to what I have. Some are still up. Some down slightly. If they all go down then I will buy more as they fall and hold for the long term in hopes they go back eventually. I do not have much invested anyways.

Comment

I’m holding my current portfolio. Been pretty happy with it. Up about 29-30% since end of March with ~25 positions. Only about 2 in the red barely but they are longer holders that I’m waiting for some specific things to happen that would make them take off. Staying pretty diversified and been good so far. Some over 100% gain and some only a few points, but moving right direction. Hardest thing is checking it often and seeing other good buys. Just trying to hold is hard but best!

Comment

Originally posted by firemanjj82 View Post
                            Anyone still doing well? I tried my hand on a couple of purchases when everything tanked, but now they're not doing so hot. I haven't lost big, but I've lost what I gained when I first bought.

Up about 40% overall so far. I left my big account at Edward Jones alone for now and took a lot of money sitting in cash and started swing trading it. I fully expect to be 100%+ within two more months. IF that holds I will likely take my initial investment back to my cash savings and keep playing with house money.

I didn’t get started as early as I should have. If I got going in March my returns would have been stupid good
                            Last edited by bphillips; 07-09-2020, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Pulled out of Delta today. It was my big player that just hasn’t taken off like I thought it would. I think it will be a long time before airlines are back to normal.

I’ve been typical momentum “Robinhood” trading the last 3 weeks and it’s been the funnest, as well as the most productive I have done. It may bite me at some point but for now, I’m just riding waves for a few days and selling then getting in something else.

Comment

Stocks

This week-

7/6 bought CHWY @ $48.00
                                7/8 sold CHWY @ $49.25

7/8 bought NKLA @ $50.00
                                7/9 sold NKLA @ $57.82

7/9 bought AMD $55.00
                                7/9 sold AMD $56.50

~Jay~
                                Last edited by Rambow; 07-09-2020, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X