No announcement yet.

2nd career options - advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good information, I have a little over 2 1/2 years until I can retire from the fire service with 28 years. Trying to figure this out myself!!!
    So far the the top 2 are working at a college or going overseas on a contract gig.

Best of luck to you and I hope we can figure this out!!

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
      I guess it depends what skillset you have. My first career left me with skills to succeed in the second. But having friends in related fields who feed you work helps when starting out.
      Whatever you do be good at it. Be honest and reliable in it. Word of mouth will build your business if you do those things.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kinda Jack of all but king of none
      I agree and I think reliability and honesty alone will get you a long way doing odds and ends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Maybe a CDL and drive for a septic company or a propane company.

Comment

When you say qualify for early retirement hopefully it is a full retirement. I've seen so many people retire early with a reduced retirement and later have to find another job. Depending where you retire to there is always skid loader work to do but quite an investment with skid loader, attachments, truck and trailer. I would do landscaping there are lots of lazy home owners out there that will pay outrageous money for landscaping.

Comment

Do something you will enjoy doing, sounds like you've been doing the daily grind for half a lifetime already and if you have to do something after retirement it should be something you will enjoy. Just my 2 cents worth anyway. If you enjoy running machines then the Equipment work(dirt work, clearing,etc,etc) could be a good option for you and you might be surprised at the amount of things you can accomplish with a skid steer and a small or medium size tractor w/ a few implements and those are things you could begin to aquire now for future use.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairieboy View Post
              Do something you will enjoy doing, sounds like you've been doing the daily grind for half a lifetime already and if you have to do something after retirement it should be something you will enjoy. Just my 2 cents worth anyway. If you enjoy running machines then the Equipment work(dirt work, clearing,etc,etc) could be a good option for you and you might be surprised at the amount of things you can accomplish with a skid steer and a small or medium size tractor w/ a few implements and those are things you could begin to aquire now for future use.

I’ll definitely do something I enjoy, just want to be outside and doing something constructive.
              Contemplating buying another tractor and batwing now which would give me two units to put to work somewhere
              Skid steer is on my mind too

Comment

Meth is big business out in the country

Comment

I am taking classes now to get my real estate license. I am going to try to do it in the offseason's from my sports and in the summers to see how it goes. If it something that I can see myself doing for a long time and I end up liking it a whole lot, then I might make it my full time gig. I love coaching and teaching, but with the way things are going with it all, I dont know if I can make it another 15 years. Just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
                    I am taking classes now to get my real estate license. I am going to try to do it in the offseason's from my sports and in the summers to see how it goes. If it something that I can see myself doing for a long time and I end up liking it a whole lot, then I might make it my full time gig. I love coaching and teaching, but with the way things are going with it all, I dont know if I can make it another 15 years. Just something to think about.

Just my opinion but teaching and sports about to change dramatically so you are probably on the right track.
                    I’m hoping my wife can get last 8 in to be honest
                    She gave up coaching 2 years ago, too much drama and no support from the administration anymore to really run a tight program

Comment

One word of advice, don’t be a cop.

Can’t wait til retirement and I’ve got a while.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                        One word of advice, don’t be a cop.

Can’t wait til retirement and I’ve got a while.

No offense but that isn’t anywhere on the list
                        Don’t know how you guys do it but I appreciate it!

Comment

I lived in Onalaska for a while. I knew a man with a back hoe. Seems like there is always a need for a back hoe on lake front properties. Good luck.

Comment

What's wrong with hunting and fishing everyday?

RETIRE for GOOD!

Enjoy life, that's what i do. Hunt when everyone else is working, get on the lake when there's no one else! Its the best!

Comment

I've got a buddy who started a lawn care business on the side and did very well. He went after higher end homes and had so much business he had to turn some down.

Comment

I ve thought about getting 6-8 lawns of my choice to do. Just enough for 2 days a week to keep me away from the house and boss lady. Also thought about running a couple of fire work stands if you can find them. I don't want to be tied down time wise. We have also kicked around the idea of being park host at state parks and places to travel a bit.
                                I live in Corsicana and finding good reliable contractors is not easy. I just added on to our second house on our place where my daughter lives. I can give you names and numbers of folks not to use and a couple that were good.

Comment

Working...
                                X