DIY Kayak Stern Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Kayak Stern Light

Heading to the beach this weekend and I figured I’d fabricate a couple stern lights for the kayaks. I had most of the material laying around so it only cost me less than 15.00 to make 2 of these.

Materials:
    Cheap AAA LED flashlight
    6” piece of 3/4” Acrylic rod
    12” piece of 1” PVC
    2 - 3/4” PVC couplings
    2 - 1” PVC couplings
    1” pipe clamp

First off I sanded the acrylic rod to make it dull and therefore diffuse the light better

Then I took one of the 3/4” PVC couplings and used hot glue to adhere one end of the acrylic rod and also the bezel end of the flashlight. They were just slightly smaller so a few wraps of tape to help keep them centered worked like a charm.

Then I took the other 3/4” coupling and using my dremel and sanding drum I removed the stop ring inside the coupler. This allowed it to be glued on the other end of the flashlight. The key is to leave just enough of the flashlight sticking out the bottom so that the cap can be unscrewed to change the batteries.

Now the light assembly is finished.

Take the 12” piece of 1” PVC and glue on the 1” coupler. This 1” coupler has the perfect ID to allow the light assembly to just slide inside with enough tension to hold it firm.

Finally take the other 1” coupler and I used the pipe clamps to mount it to the inside of my rear tank well. The entire assembly just press fits in and easily removed for transport

The light is very bright and should be easily seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need a picture of it in action! Well done sir.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
      Need a picture of it in action! Well done sir.

Here it is in a room with no windows and the lights off. I’d say it’s pretty dang bright

Comment

awesome

Comment

that's pretty sweet!!!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

What a great idea-May have to steal it

Comment

Seen something similar with ping pong ball hot glued to the top af a harbor freight free flash lite stuck in a pvc tube or glued

Comment

I took a small battery operated Wal-Mart camp lantern (3 aaa type) and hot glued it to the top of a pvc pipe for mine.

Comment

PS, you might need it taller, must be above everything, including your body.

Comment

very cool build!

Comment

Working...
                      X