Loma Alta and Surrounding Area Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loma Alta and Surrounding Area Thread

This is going to be one of those feeler and see where it goes threads. Rather than say Val Verde County I figured I would narrow it down to the Loma Alta and surrounding area. Please feel free to contribute to the conversation if you lease or own property in the area.

Tags: Loma Alta Store, Dolan Creek Road, Del Norte Unit, Devils River SNA, Buffalo Draw, Miers Ranch Road, Hwy 277, Rock Canyon Ranch, Val Verde County

I will start off my family just acquired some private property near the Store. This week alone we've received over 4 inches of rain. Really like the area for it's elevation changes and spot n stalk opportunities.

Animals in the area that I know of:
    Whitetail Deer
    Turkey
    Feral Pigs
    Axis
    Aoudad
    Fallow
    Iranian Red Sheep
    Catalina
    Mouflon - Haven't confirmed
    Sitka - Haven't confirmed
    Elk - Haven't Confirmed
    Last edited by ThePecosBilly; 09-07-2018, 04:55 PM. Reason: Left stuff off

Comment

Congrats on getting your place.

Comment

Also the occasional black bear in that area.

Comment

If I could post pics I could show you a lot of different species

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
            Congrats on getting your place.
            Thank you, a lot of work in store

Comment

Originally posted by buckerup View Post
              Also the occasional black bear in that area.
              Yeah, I've read that too. Hopefully they will stick closer to the Devils area.

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
                If I could post pics I could show you a lot of different species
                No worries, tell me about it

Comment

Just joined a lease very close to the store. Really excited about the possibilities and encouraged from the trail cam pics so far.

Comment

Just went through my first round of game cam pictures. The theme was pretty much does and trolls haha I have 2 does that have got to be pushing 10+ years old and horn configurations that only a momma would love.

I tried downloading some pics but I'm finding out the attachment field doesn't work too well. I'm guessing the best route is to do drop box then URL it?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Tall Axis
                      Attached Files

Comment

I just got on a lease near the store. How's the hunting been for you.

Comment

I will be in year 2 of managing doe herd. Trying to get my age class up on bucks and doing selective clearing to establish native grass. Just received 5 inches last week so everything is looking good habitat wise.

Comment

Awesome area and hopefully the rainy will keep coming!

Comment

Nice storm ran through there this morning around 3:00 as we were pulling out. If you hunt anywhere off 277 from IH10 Sonora to 377 you got some moisture on the ground

Comment

Working...
                              X