• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThePecosBilly View Post
    Thank you, a lot of work in store
    Congrats, we love the area.

Comment

Just went through my first round of game cam pictures. The theme was pretty much does and trolls haha I have 2 does that have got to be pushing 10+ years old and horn configurations that only a momma would love.

I tried downloading some pics but I'm finding out the attachment field doesn't work too well. I'm guessing the best route is to do drop box then URL it?
      Better to use tapatalk on ur cell phone.

Comment

I'm on the lease at Davis Draw. I haven't been able to check cameras yet this spring but I am hopeful.

Comment

I killed one of my biggest bucks to date off of Dolan Creek road, a 150+ inch 10 point. A real big bodied deer for that country..200+ live weight..
          I was hunting on some property owned by Will F. Whitehead.. He died and it sold.. That was 20+ years ago though..
          That is some beautiful country out there....

Comment

We hunt a few miles north of the store. Sure have got a lot of rain as of late.

Comment

Definitely green all over. I had some wind and flood damage from May 3 storm. As we were pulling out we were hoping Monday’s storm wasn’t going to undo everything we just fixed hahaha

Comment

Monday and Tuesday rain totals for the area equaled up to 6”

Comment

spent most of my life hunting around there.
                  Barnes Ranch down the end of the road by the TPW now
                  Jim Finagin ran the store .. maybe still does.
                  Whitehead... Just few different ranches off Dollan
                  Then jumped the hwy to the Bar C. When it sold I moved south
                  man I miss that area.

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                    spent most of my life hunting around there.
                    Barnes Ranch down the end of the road by the TPW now
                    Jim Finagin ran the store .. maybe still does.
                    Whitehead... Just few different ranches off Dollan
                    Then jumped the hwy to the Bar C. When it sold I moved south
                    man I miss that area.
                    Yea buddy I’d say you know the area well and yes Jim still runs the store. Anyway you could share some details or pics of some of your better deer you had on those places.

Comment

That was before digital. I will have to find and scan them in... But 130s were very common From memory the best was just shy of 170.
                      The anthrax was the concern all the time. We would build a herd up and be awesome hunting then anthrax would hit. We had axis, aoudad, sika, mouflon. Depending on the ranch. Mountain Lions were always there.
                      Mexican Cinnamon Bears were there too. Lots of people said brown bears but I was always told they were Mexican Bears.
                      used to still hunt draws and canyons for days. Made some long shots It was a beautiful area to hunt.
                      If you see Jim tell him that Chris Perry and Bubba say hello

Comment

I will definitely tell him for you. I think there are good native genetics in the area. Definitely want to see neighbors consistently shooting 5.5 and older deer in 140 range but see a lot of quality deer shot really young.

Comment

We’ve been getting lots of rain at the wrong time. Any word of anthrax in the area?

Comment

Yea buddy I’d say you know the area well and yes Jim still runs the store. Anyway you could share some details or pics of some of your better deer you had on those places.
                            Wow I cant believe Jim is still there.. I wonder how old he is now?

Comment

I will definitely tell him for you. I think there are good native genetics in the area. Definitely want to see neighbors consistently shooting 5.5 and older deer in 140 range but see a lot of quality deer shot really young.
                              The area can grow some great deer. The pasture we hunted bordered the Altizer Ranch (Bad Company Rodeo).
                              It looked like it had recently been chained back then and I could see a long way across it when I would set on a hill on our place with binos or a spotting scope..
                              I never saw any hunting activity on the place at all but there where some giant bucks on it, for the area. I would watch them run doe during the rut..
                              I saw several in the 160's and 1 bigger than those..

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                                We’ve been getting lots of rain at the wrong time. Any word of anthrax in the area?
                                There is none

Comment

Working...
                                X