Confirm or deny my suspicion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noticed this on the roof of my truck today. It has not been there more than a week and is only in this small confined spot as far as I can tell. I have tried rubbing it with a towel as well as clay bar and neither helped at all. Is this my clear coat failing, or something else? It seems strange that it would get this bad overnight which is why I have some hope that it isn’t clear coat failure.

I think I see the Little Dipper in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

hail damage....

Comment

If it’s a substance of some kind get some WD-40 on a towel and see if that’d take it off. What I use for black tar that gets kicked on the truck from tires

Comment

Clear coat failure!

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            Clear coat failure!
            This ^^^^. You can see a few spots where the clear coat has flaked off.

Comment

Is it on a Ford?

Comment

Originally posted by White Falcon View Post
                Is it on a Ford?

As a ford guy I can say that it would not be the first time. Had an 89 F150 that had to be repainted due to paint job/clear coat failure. They issued a recall I believe on that one.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

My 07 tundra had this all over roof and hood. Had it happen after hail storm. Had to pay 700 to have them repainted

Comment

Did ya have a lot lizard sitting up there?

Comment

Nope it’s on a 2008 Ram 1500. Engine and transmission are guaranteed for life so you can see my frustration of paint failing already.
                      Thanks guys. Maybe it did get hit by hail and I didn’t know and that’s what spiked it. I guess I will bring it to a paint shop and see how much it would cost to get the roof repainted.

Comment

It’s 11 years old... time to beat it to hell and actually use it!!

Comment

Get some compound and see if it will buff out. It won’t if it’s clear coat, which it probably is.

You can get you some spray can 2k clear. Prep the area, mask it off and spray multiple layers then compound it down and it’ll look decent.

Did it get through the paint and to the primer?

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                            It’s 11 years old... time to beat it to hell and actually use it!!
                            Oh I actually use it, I could never go to anything else other than a truck. It has its dents and scratches but I still like my paint to look good for resale value purposes.

Can anybody recommend a good place to get the roof repainted? I got it quoted at Herbs for $1500, so I figure a smaller shop should be able to do it for less. No way I am paying $1500 for one panel to be repainted on an 11 year old truck.

Comment

Install a lift then you can’t see unless your standing on the roof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X