steel targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steel targets

I haven't hunted my contender in quite a few years because I don't shoot it enough. I'd like to change that so I cut out a 9" round 5/16" plate so I can walk outside, shoot a few times and hear the ring. I'm thinking .5" rod down to the target, .5" rod as the crossbar between a wood stand I can move to distances. The closest shot will be 40 yards out to maybe 100. I'm going to angle the plate slightly so the shots will deflect down. Any other safety concerns on a target like this? thanks

You need to use ar500 steel, or it won't last long.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
      You need to use ar500 steel, or it won't last long.
      This and I hang mine with short chains. Works well as a shock absorber.

Comment

Thanks, 2 chains was my original idea. Rod just came to mind this morning when I went to weld it up. As far as steel, I have what I have. It'll have to do.

Comment

I agree, it needs to be ar500 steel so you don’t crater/blow right through it. Also, 40 yards with a rifle bigger than a 22 can be dangerous if the steel is fixed, I’ve had spall come back at 50 yards with an AR so just be careful. Also I got rid of all my chains and now use different lengths of fire hose. Fire hose is rigid enough to keep target from turning but allows full swing and movement on impact. It also swings less than chains. I asked my local FD for any old hose they had and I got a 20’ roll for free.

Comment

If you bend a loop in the rod that you hang it with, it will be able to swing around the cross rod. May have to weld a heavy washer on each side of it on the cross bar to keep it centered. Being able to swing free should help deflect the bullet down and allow the plate to last a little longer.

Comment

dont know if itll ring when you shoot threw it

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                dont know if itll ring when you shoot threw it
                Yea, i'm pretty sure it'll be completely silent.

Comment

Being that it’s a thin piece of mild steel plate the bullets will either go through it or dimple and warp it. This will help promote ricochets. Spend a little money and do yourself and others a favor and get some AR 500 targets.

Comment

Originally posted by ironman View Post
                    you need to use ar500 steel, or it won't last long.
                    ^^^

i

Comment

Since it's a contender I don't have to shoot hunting round and I don't. Throw the 10" 22 barrel on, shoot, done. Want to hunt, throw the 10" .44 barrel on, done.

Let me guess... The .22 will tear the target up, shoot right through it and without noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
                        Since it's a contender I don't have to shoot hunting round and I don't. Throw the 10" 22 barrel on, shoot, done. Want to hunt, throw the 10" .44 barrel on, done.

Let me guess... The .22 will tear the target up, shoot right through it and without noise.
                        You are the one that first asked if there were any other safety concerns and then became sarcastic and defensive when you were advised on what you asked. Have fun shooting holes in your steel.

Comment

All above advise is good and should be taken into account, but if you insist on trying it go ahead. Just watch for it to dimple. If and when it does STOP shooting it please or those fragments will start coming back at you.

Comment

I made one it's not AR500 but it's 1" thick on chains with capped 11/4 pipe welded to the chains i just slip it over 2 t- posts. been working great for about 3 years now.

Comment

I have a few.

Honestly - Cheapest, easiest way to hang the AR500 plates is BUNGY CORDS.

Especially if you have others come over who may not be solid shots.

Easy to replace a bunch v a chain..

-

SEE VIDEO HERE :

https://vimeo.com/301235598

This is "Listen to em ring !" by Welock on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

Working...
                              X