Palo Duro Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Palo Duro Canyon

I drew an exotic hunt at Palo Duro Canyon in February. I've been there many times but I have never hunted it or talked to anyone that has. I've heard that the hunting compartments are actually in a part of the park that isn't open to the public, I'm guessing at the far end of the park ????

Have any of you guys hunted the park?

No input but good luck!

Comment

How many points did you have. Im jealous. Ive heard that most people quit after day one. Dont be most people.

Comment

I had 10 points.

I walk or hike daily. I live about 60 miles from Palo Duro and have hiked through the canyon many many times and it is rugged. The hunt brochure said it was a 2hour hike just to get to the hunting compartment.
        I'm nursing an Achilles tendon injury. I think I'm going to have to go to the doctor and see if I can get it to start healing faster.

Comment

Sounds like a rough hunt. so it should be worth it. Best of luck

Comment

No input for you but sounds like a great time. I would like to make it up to that part of the country and hunt it as well. Good luck with the heal situation.

Comment

My son has been on two youth hunts at the park. He shot two Mule deer does. We saw aoudad the first time just couldn't get to them before dark. The second time we went we didn't see any. Although the hunt before us killed a couple of nice Rams. Two of the compartments you have to hike into to start your hunt. There are trails that you can hike to get down to the bottom. I have a map of the hunting compartments if you would like one just pm me you address and I will send it to you. If you have anymore question I will try and answer them. Have a good hunt!

Comment

Contact jjmatt. He knows that area better than anyone I know. He is an aoudad hunting junkie as well, so he will help you out.

Comment

Very rough hunt. If you pick a compartment in the canyon floor, it does take atleast two hours to get down there. There was a landslide that formed a lake over the trail to get down. It snowed about 10" last year a few weeks before our hunt, so the lake was full. The biggest issue was getting around the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by daved270 View Post
                    My son has been on two youth hunts at the park. He shot two Mule deer does. We saw aoudad the first time just couldn't get to them before dark. The second time we went we didn't see any. Although the hunt before us killed a couple of nice Rams. Two of the compartments you have to hike into to start your hunt. There are trails that you can hike to get down to the bottom. I have a map of the hunting compartments if you would like one just pm me you address and I will send it to you. If you have anymore question I will try and answer them. Have a good hunt!
                    Is there anyway to find them on the computer to see the compartments? I got drawn for same hunt, just trying to find more information.

Comment

Working...
                    X