No announcement yet.

2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a really tough season in Southwest San Saba County this year. Didn't see deer very often and then when we did they were all young ones. One of my target bucks did get killed by the neighbors hunters. He was a nice heavy eight with a drop. Even my neighbor said I'm sorry to see him go he was like a pet at my trough every day. LOL! Hopefully next year it's a little better but if nothing else at least the animals are good and healthy now with all the acorns and will make it through the winter fine. We are in desperate need of rain though. If it doesn't start raining soon the deer will suffer over the summer again.

Comment

Well I guess I’ll post a recap as well. It was a good season overall I even though I never released an arrow. My daughter shot her first deer and my nephew shot his best buck(my target buck). I’ve only had a few deer disappear which is a great thing and even had a few new bucks show up. Never saw a pig all season even though we had them on camera a lot late season, but they are nocturnal. Bucks are definitely rutted down right now though so that is concerning. If we don’t get some good moisture soon to put fat back on our bucks then I’ll be concerned about next season. I always wish the bucks would drop their headgear as soon as the season ends, but unfortunately they’ll be chasing doe fawns if they come into heat. I’ll bring out the gun now for the extended doe season to put some meat in the freezer.
      I have lots of pictures to add to the database so that is a good thing, and will be curious to see what age the labs say on some of the mature bucks that were harvested. We’ll continue to work on improving the habitat and will hopefully get another burn in if the weather allows. Bring on the rain!!

Comment

We’ve had some good rains today, up to 0.85”! Thankful for every drop. I hope we get more tomorrow!

Comment

Looks like we had about a half inch today. Hopefully the forecast is right & we get some more!

Comment

Well I finally caught up to my target buck last weekend and snagged some pictures of him. He broke off a few unique points which I added back in photoshop. We finally got some good rain and its starting to green back up which is awesome

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

As I’ve said on Instagram, “Potential” is an amazing buck. It’s obvious that y’all are doing it right with the kind of deer y’all produce annually!

Comment

We ended up with 0.95” this week, which is a blessing! I know a lot of folks that had more, but I’m more than thankful. I haven’t been to ranch but for a few hours since shortly after Christmas, so I can’t wait to see what it looks like and what’s on camera. I wish the bucks would hurry up and lose their antlers so they’ll start to fatten back up.
                A few weeks ago a buddy and I were varmint hunting other properties and made a quick trip by the ranch to make a few calls. We happened to kill this daytime double! Always fun killing Hill Country dogs!
                Is it time to create a new thread, or should we wait a bit?
                Attached Files

Comment

Very nice that's awesome! Our place started to green back up about 3 weeks ago. I'm down for starting a new thread around March when they loose their antlers. I will probably be at the lease every weekend looking for a certain set of sheds lol

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                    Very nice that's awesome! Our place started to green back up about 3 weeks ago. I'm down for starting a new thread around March when they loose their antlers. I will probably be at the lease every weekend looking for a certain set of sheds lol

Haha I would be too if I was you! I agree, the season thread doesn’t end until the antlers come off!

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post

Haha I would be too if I was you! I agree, the season thread doesn’t end until the antlers come off!
                      This is his 2018 headgear, if I could somehow get lucky and find both of his sheds from this year and have a shot at him this coming season I would be so blessed

Comment

We were looking real good a couple of weekends ago. Had a little over 2 in of rain over a week & a half. Looks like we got about 6\10ths out of the last rain & maybe more coming next week. Deer were just starting to hit feeders a little bit. Hogs are coming back. Glad to see that. Ready to get a few. Wife did kill 2 ,Sat before last.
                        Good Luck on finding the sheds txhog!

Comment

You never want to find a deer hung in the fence, but unfortunately it happens. Still trying to figure out who he is.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That’s unfortunate. Just refilled feeders on our place in McCulloch County Friday. Looks in pretty good shape with the recent rain and my tall 8 I was after all season has survived. Only broke one of his browtines. Hope to find his sheds soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a beautiful buck!! Glad he survived

Comment

How’d everyone do on rain? We had 1.40” according to the neighbors online gauge. I’m hoping we had at least that.
                                I’ll be making my first real trip to the ranch since early January. I look forward to checking some cameras, putting a cell camera out, and just see how everything is growing. How much rain did everyone else get?

Comment

Working...
                                X