"Culling Doesn't Work in Wild Populations"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
    I don’t think you can control undesirable antler characteristics, that would be controlling genetics. Everything else I pretty much agree on.

I also believe believe folks underestimate mortality rates. If you had say 100 buck fawns born on a property how many would reach maturity? What percentage? I guess a lot would have to do with rainfall, predators, and supplemental feeding.
    I DO believe that you can control undesirable antler traits to a huge extent.. Shoot them when you see them..
    To say you cant would mean that passing bucks with good traits has no affect(same concept just in reverse)...

As far as a percentage on 100 bucks born the same ranch on the same year: A lot will depend on buck/doe ratios, predator control and range conditions but on your average, run of the mill hunting ranch(deer aren't babied), my bet is that 30% or less will see 6 years old and it goes down quickly from there with less than 15% seeing 8 years old..
    Last edited by PondPopper; 09-05-2019, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      I DO believe that you can control undesirable antler traits to a huge extent.. Shoot them when you see them..
      To say you cant would mean that passing bucks with good traits has no affect(same concept just in reverse)...

As far as a percentage on 100 bucks born the same ranch on the same year: A lot will depend on buck/doe ratios, predator control and range conditions but on your average, run of the mill hunting ranch(deer aren't babied), my bet is that 30% or less will see 6 years old and it goes down quickly from there with less than 15% seeing 8 years old..
      You're so hard headed! you can not control anything about their antlers on low fence property. Shoot em all, they'll be back. You can't stop evolution with a bullet in an uncontrolled environment. Are you hunting your neighbors land too and killing those? How about the does? Which one has bad traits... how about his patriarch that actually grows great antlers but sire's junk. Did you kill him too?

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie PhD View Post
        All. Day. Long.
        Killing good moms first is counterproductive. The B that snorts you busts legit fawn killers too.

Comment

Exactly. And that’s exactly correct exactly as you said it. Passing the best bucks has no genetic effect over the long haul on the genetic baseline.

Comment

I just have a problem with the doe who seems to blow every time you see her. Realistically, she usually doesn’t get shot because she blows and runs into the brush before I get the opportunity....

Do y’all target a specific age class of does? Or is it just xx numbers that you need to shoot a year, and it is who presents the first opportunity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

"Culling Doesn't Work in Wild Populations"

I just have a problem with the doe who seems to blow every time you see her. Realistically, she usually doesn’t get shot because she blows and runs into the brush before I get the opportunity....

Do y’all target a specific age class of does? Or is it just xx numbers that you need to shoot a year, and it is who presents the first opportunity?

The place we hunt typically shoots first doe as otherwise we won’t get close to quota. If you have a blowing nanny doe then switch up your setup on her and sling an arrow. They know where you typically hunt and get smart to that. Think there is a whole thread about that on here.

Comment

For us it is non discretionary based on numbers with the only other criteria being wether we focus more on mature does.yearling does or female fawns based on recruitment goals

Comment

Dang!!!! How many did said "friend" kill?????
                  Probably a dozen between, him ,his wife, grandson etc

It works on humans
                  Average height has increased over the last 200 years.
                  Why- tall guys with big feet get to ÷=/>÷× more

Comment

We try to shoot as many fawns as we can.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post

It works on humans
                      No... its because we invented the internal combustion engine and the steel plow.

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                        No... its because we invented the internal combustion engine and the steel plow.

This is correct. Guys got taller and got bigger feet because more food is available. Not because they get more poon.

Same goes for deer.

Comment

If you shoot deer with undesirable traits then yes there will be less of them in the pasture because well, they’re dead. But don’t think for a second that you’re taking the undesirable trait out of the gene pool.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post

It works on humans
                            Our nutritional plane as humans has increased dramatically over the last 200 years. Has nothing to to do with big guys banging big big girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                              If you shoot deer with undesirable traits then yes there will be less of them in the pasture because well, they’re dead. But don’t think for a second that you’re taking the undesirable trait out of the gene pool.

This sums it up. If it really worked that good then you'd have ZERO cull bucks to shoot after a few years, yet they keep showing up.

Comment

Culling IMO is a slippery slope. When used right and all the variables are taken into consideration it can be effective. But when used incorrectly it can have the opposite effect.

For instance, who would cull this deer....

Mature 9 pt
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X