2019 LBJ Grassland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
    thanks buddy! looking forward for my first year hunting public, do any of you leave your tree stands or ground blinds up or a particular spot during the season for a certain amount of time? I plan on spot and stalking a lot but wouldn't mind brining a tree stand at times
    Depending on where you are, spot and stalk can be problematic. If it is crowded you invariable walk into someones setup.

I take a lock on or a blind in and pack it out at the end of the day. If you do leave one, put your name, address and number on it as well as the date you placed it. Move within 72 hours and change the date.

It's just easier for me to set the stand each time I go. Plus, it doesn't telegraph "someone thinks this is a good place to hunt".

I've not had good luck hunting from a blind. It takes too long to get them brushed in each day. But a natural blind may work.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
      Depending on where you are, spot and stalk can be problematic. If it is crowded you invariable walk into someones setup.

I take a lock on or a blind in and pack it out at the end of the day. If you do leave one, put your name, address and number on it as well as the date you placed it. Move within 72 hours and change the date.

It's just easier for me to set the stand each time I go. Plus, it doesn't telegraph "someone thinks this is a good place to hunt".

I've not had good luck hunting from a blind. It takes too long to get them brushed in each day. But a natural blind may work.

Good Luck
      I agree with this. It's public land so do as you wish but walking around you will run into others and potentially upset them and in my experience it only reduces your chances at getting something on the ground. I'm usually in a hang on but trying out a saddle this year. Good luck out there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
        thanks buddy! looking forward for my first year hunting public, do any of you leave your tree stands or ground blinds up or a particular spot during the season for a certain amount of time? I plan on spot and stalking a lot but wouldn't mind brining a tree stand at times
        Spot and stalk can be problematic for both you and others. With most of the Grasslands broken up into smaller units it doesn’t provide much area to walk. Also it gets fairly crowded out here. If you plan on walking a significant amount you will undoubtedly run across others setups. All stands and blinds are required to be moved every 72 hours. I have had the best luck with hang on stands and climbing stands. Slowly acquiring everything needed to saddle hunt. I will probably give that a try next season but seems like a great way to go. Pop up blinds have never worked well for me. Regardless of how much you brush them in they don’t tend to look very natural and have always spooked deer in my experience. I have had much better success with natural ground blinds. You don’t need nearly as much cover as a lot of people seem to think. Just enough to break up your outline. I used a natural ground blind that I built in about 5 minutes to kill my buck last season on an spot I had never hunted before.

Comment

In

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone heard if they're burning this year?

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
              Has anyone heard if they're burning this year?
              They burn every year. They will publish a list of the units they plan to burn. You can check with the district office and request the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                They burn every year. They will publish a list of the units they plan to burn. You can check with the district office and request the list.
                Thanks. I'll check as we get closer to October.

Good luck to all harassing dove this morning, allergies kept me up all night but I'm still going. Fortunately the youngest has his license so I can sleep on the way, maybe.

Comment

How come LBJ does not come up on TPWD public hunting maps like Caddo does?

Comment

Originally posted by TradHunter View Post
                    Caddo is managed by TPWD but owned by the NFS. LBJ is managed by the NFS.

Comment

No birds for us this morning. Lots of shooting,just at the other end of the field.

We'll attack again at dawn.

Comment

Originally posted by TradHunter View Post
                        The U. S. Forest Service owns and manages both the Caddo and LBJ N.G. The Caddo N.G. is a WMA. The hunting regulations are managed by TP&W.

LBJ maps are available at the Caddo/LBJ District Office in Decatur.

Here's a map that will be helpful.

Comment

Found them flying yesterday. 45 min limit.

Comment

The U. S. Forest Service owns and manages both the Caddo and LBJ N.G. The Caddo N.G. is a WMA. The hunting regulations are managed by TP&W.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/i...bb9e3061056af2

Thanks.

Comment

I think he was only passing through but nice to have a goal.
                              Attached Files

Comment

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Viewer/i...bb9e3061056af2

The layers for you prime hunting honey holes failed to show up. Can you please correct or you can just PM me the file.
                                Thanks in advance [emoji3]

Comment

Working...
                                X