2019 LBJ Grassland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
    Because 75 miles isn’t enough when you think you own the place.
    I was speaking with a representative of the USFS last year, nice older guy, I think he was a volunteer. He wasn't very fond of the horse-rider crowd. I can't recall the exact conversation but we were discussing firearm use in the Tadra area.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
      I was speaking with a representative of the USFS last year, nice older guy, I think he was a volunteer. He wasn't very fond of the horse-rider crowd. I can't recall the exact conversation but we were discussing firearm use in the Tadra area.
      The majority of the horse crowd has been great to deal with over the years. Unfortunately, there is a very loud vocal minority that is not the greatest to deal with. They tend to forget that the Grasslands are meant to be a multiple use property and not just horse trails. They feel they should take priority over everything else. Like I said though, the majority of the riders I have dealt with in the field have been great. I’ve even had a few give info on where they have been seeing game.

Comment

If you shoot a deer and it runs onto private, what's the appropriate next step? How would you contact the land owner?

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
          If you shoot a deer and it runs onto private, what's the appropriate next step? How would you contact the land owner?
          I would call the game warden. They can help gain access for retrieval. Some of the landowners are to fond of us public land hunters. I have had both good and bad experiences with landowners out there.

Comment

Couldnt find the body. Legend has it the Headless Buck of the Grasslands roams the land seeking vengeance. Be careful out there y'all.
            Attached Files

Comment

I will be out this year, it will be the first year i go out there. ill be in a ground blind hope i can thump one!

Comment

Originally posted by JollyRover View Post
                Couldnt find the body. Legend has it the Headless Buck of the Grasslands roams the land seeking vengeance. Be careful out there y'all.

Yep. I saw him last year. It was a cloudy, dark evening and I was walking back to my truck. I heard something moving through the trees on an intersecting trail. It seemed to float along with just a silent brush up against leaves. There was no footfall. It came to the intersection before me and turned as if it was looking at me. There were no eyes, no face but it seemed to know I was there. I stood stock still and didn't breathe. It's hooves were like metal razors and they sparked when he pawed the ground. It seemed to be searching for me but it couldn't smell, see or hear me. Then I heard the most ferocious snort I have ever heard. Really, I didn't actually hear it as much as felt deep in my soul. It started toward me and for some reason I felt like I was captured and couldn't move. It went by me like it wasn't sure where I was and my fingers brushed its sides. The hair was like sandpaper and was full of burrs. It past me and stopped. Something startled it and drifted off away from me. I stood motionless for a good three to four minutes before I finally continued on my way. I got to my truck and there were prints looking the same as the creature made right next to my truck. I know it's sill out there, tracking, looking.

Sleep lightly my friends. Sleep lightly.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                  Yep. I saw him last year. It was a cloudy, dark evening and I was walking back to my truck. I heard something moving through the trees on an intersecting trail. It seemed to float along with just a silent brush up against leaves. There was no footfall. It came to the intersection before me and turned as if it was looking at me. There were no eyes, no face but it seemed to know I was there. I stood stock still and didn't breathe. It's hooves were like metal razors and they sparked when he pawed the ground. It seemed to be searching for me but it couldn't smell, see or hear me. Then I heard the most ferocious snort I have ever heard. Really, I didn't actually hear it as much as felt deep in my soul. It started toward me and for some reason I felt like I was captured and couldn't move. It went by me like it wasn't sure where I was and my fingers brushed its sides. The hair was like sandpaper and was full of burrs. It past me and stopped. Something startled it and drifted off away from me. I stood motionless for a good three to four minutes before I finally continued on my way. I got to my truck and there were prints looking the same as the creature made right next to my truck. I know it's sill out there, tracking, looking.

Sleep lightly my friends. Sleep lightly.

I bet your grandkids love when the sleep over with ya.

My grandfather used to tell us ghost stories. And we'd ask for them too.

Comment

The only true value to my life. I love to write stories. Most are funny though. Thanks!

Comment

Keep writing jnd!

Comment

and just to clarify one more time, I don't need a annual public hunting permit? just a hunting license?

Comment

For the LBJ at Decauter- no APH is required, regular HL and follow the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                            and just to clarify one more time, I don't need a annual public hunting permit? just a hunting license?
                            At the LBJ Grasslands all you need is your hunting license and hunters education if you are required by the state. You also still need proper endorsements for archery, upland game birds, and migratory birds as well as the federal duck stamp if you are planning to take part in those activities. I would also recommend checking out the USFS website and office in Decatur to get additional info specific to the Grasslands. There are plate of small rules that are not standard to all places.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                              At the LBJ Grasslands all you need is your hunting license and hunters education if you are required by the state. You also still need proper endorsements for archery, upland game birds, and migratory birds as well as the federal duck stamp if you are planning to take part in those activities. I would also recommend checking out the USFS website and office in Decatur to get additional info specific to the Grasslands. There are plate of small rules that are not standard to all places.
                              thanks buddy! looking forward for my first year hunting public, do any of you leave your tree stands or ground blinds up or a particular spot during the season for a certain amount of time? I plan on spot and stalking a lot but wouldn't mind brining a tree stand at times

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                                thanks buddy! looking forward for my first year hunting public, do any of you leave your tree stands or ground blinds up or a particular spot during the season for a certain amount of time? I plan on spot and stalking a lot but wouldn't mind brining a tree stand at times
                                tree stands and blinds need to be moved every 72 hours good luck on the hunt

Comment

Working...
                                X