Generator Help Needed!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator Help Needed!!!

Hey guys. Ice storm snapped a huge number of power poles here around me. 4 of them on our private road. PEC is working on them, but are telling us it could be Tuesday before power is restored. Big wuppee. Not really that big of a deal.

My 9000W predator generator has run flawlessly for two years. This round, it started on the first pull. Problem is is shuts off after some time. Maybe 10 minutes, maybe 45 minutes.

When I go back out to restart it, choke it and boom - first pull we're back in business. I've tried running it on 1/4 choke and 1/2 choke. Still the same thing.

Only styptom that might help you engine savvy guys is that I smell gas after it dies.

And.... GO!!!

Check fuel filter. Usually located at base of tank where fuel line connects to tank/ shut-off valve. Some you have to pull the fitting out of the grommet to see the filter.

Check oil level. Could be low-oil shut-off. Just top it off a little more.

Last, If you didn’t run all the fuel out of the carb by shutting off the fuel valve and letting it run until empty, you have gunk in the fuel bowl. Shut gas tank valve off and pop the fuel bowl off and clean the gunk. Use broom bristle or something soft to clean the jet holes out, not metal poker.
    Last edited by Leaverrite; 02-03-2023, 08:21 PM.

Comment

you may have trash in your tank and it randomly cloggs up the petcock valve intake. or the fuel cap is not venting correctly.

if it has been awhile since you ran it last, may want to drain tank and carb.

Comment

Originally posted by Leaverrite View Post
        Check fuel filter. Usually located at base of tank where fuel line connects to tank/ shut-off valve. Some you have to pull the fitting out of the grommet to see the filter.

If you didn’t run all the fuel out of the carb by shutting off the fuel valve and letting it run until empty, you have gunk in the fuel bowl. Shut gas tank valve off and pop the fuel bowl off and clean the gunk. Use broom bristle or something soft to clean the jet holes out, not metal poker.

This was my exact problem and fix just recently, pretty easy to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Check oil . If they run low they will auto shut down.

Comment

Loosen the fuel cap and see if it stays running. If the carb was dirty, it wouldn't run at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
              Loosen the fuel cap and see if it stays running. If the carb was dirty, it wouldn't run at all.

This and check to see if spark arrester on exhaust is plugged

Comment

There is a black hose that runs from the tank to the breather houding. That's the vent for the tank. If it runs with the cap loose, then the vent is plugged.

Comment

Check the charcoal canister. From what I understand it is a filter on the vent line from the fuel tank that can get plugged if you overfill the fuel tank. Also, I have heard about the CO sensor on some of the newer models shutting them down randomly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mini-x fan View Post
                    Check the charcoal canister. From what I understand it is a filter on the vent line from the fuel tank that can get plugged if you overfill the fuel tank. Also, I have heard about the CO sensor on some of the newer models shutting them down randomly.

X2
                    If gas is overfilled this canister can flood which prevents fuel tank from venting.

Comment

Thank you all for the suggestions!

For the two that recommended "top off oil level"? YOU WIN!

Guess I know now that the "low oil indicator light" is pretty much insignificant. It never did come on.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X