Tbot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tbot?

Can a shooter use a clicker at TBOT Shoots? Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Yes sir BUT only in fun rounds. Not in competition.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

You can shoot a rest and a clicker, but nearly every person on the course will feel it is their responsibility to inform you that your bow isn’t legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TradAg02 View Post
        You can shoot a rest and a clicker, but nearly every person on the course will feel it is their responsibility to inform you that your bow isn’t legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Lol. Yeah. If you really wanna freak em out take a range finder.

Comment

Participation in TBOT has been declining every year. It’s time to come up with some more classifications for equipment. I was shooting a bow before the label traditional came into use. Allen had not come up with the compound bow. People shot bows with sights, stabilizers, elevated rest, and Berger buttons. Arrows progressed from wood to fiberglass to aluminum and carbon. There were different classifications to level the playing field. No one viewed archery equipment as not traditional until the compound and crossbow which are clearly a huge advantage over a “traditional “ bow. I shot compounds for quite a while but just didn’t enjoy it as much a the simple equipment. The number of TBOT shoots is getting smaller every year. We need people for the organization to survive and grow. Time to come up with some solutions to get more people involved in the sport of archery.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckc. View Post
            Participation in TBOT has been declining every year. It’s time to come up with some more classifications for equipment. I was shooting a bow before the label traditional came into use. Allen had not come up with the compound bow. People shot bows with sights, stabilizers, elevated rest, and Berger buttons. Arrows progressed from wood to fiberglass to aluminum and carbon. There were different classifications to level the playing field. No one viewed archery equipment as not traditional until the compound and crossbow which are clearly a huge advantage over a “traditional “ bow. I shot compounds for quite a while but just didn’t enjoy it as much a the simple equipment. The number of TBOT shoots is getting smaller every year. We need people for the organization to survive and grow. Time to come up with some solutions to get more people involved in the sport of archery.
            Chuck I do not disagree with you at all. However I think limits need to be set. At some point, saying anything goes, will fracture things even worse.
            Nobody takes an Olympic set up out hunting. A very tiny minority may use a release aid.
            I have no issue with a raised rest. Or a clicker. Something a hunter may use. No issue with fixed crawl or string walking. The distance is still guessed and they have to execute the shot.
            However at some point you'll get to where it's like the jack wagon compound shooters who take ten minutes each to get to the line, range and look at the target with binoculars, range again, stare again, pull up, draw and let down six times and basically screw the whole course up for everyone.
            It's Traditional BOWHUNTERS of Texas. Not target archery. And I believe any changes we make need to keep that in focus or we will lose our core shooters and our legitimacy.

Comment

I will just throw this out there to stir the pot a bit...

I would 100% hunt with an elevated rest and vanes on my recurve if it were also legal for TBoT. I would also probably shoot some type of fixed crawl. Why? Well, it's a bit more forgiving. I like to shoot 3D with the same setup I hunt with, to simulate high pressure. And a fun round with my hunting bow doesn't have the same effect as when it's for score. Ergo, I tune a hunting setup that's as forgiving as possible while meeting the requirements of TBoT.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                I will just throw this out there to stir the pot a bit...

I would 100% hunt with an elevated rest and vanes on my recurve if it were also legal for TBoT. I would also probably shoot some type of fixed crawl. Why? Well, it's a bit more forgiving. I like to shoot 3D with the same setup I hunt with, to simulate high pressure. And a fun round with my hunting bow doesn't have the same effect as when it's for score. Ergo, I tune a hunting setup that's as forgiving as possible while meeting the requirements of TBoT.
                1000% agree.

Bowhunters have been using variations of some type of elevated rest since long before any of us (or our great, great, great, great grandfathers) were born.

I still prefer shooting from the shelf with my vanes, but I know how to make the shelf work, and I never EVER shoot competition with anything other than my hunting setup.

Rick

Comment

It’s classifications like seniors, recurve wood, recurve carbon . We’ve lost several good shoots. Fredericksburg, Cherokee, fewer in Austin. If you haven’t been to a TBOT shoot where only a handful of people showed up I’d be surprised. People were being innovative in Archery long before the term Tradtional was invented. Sure is a lot of carbon limbs showing up at TBOT and I’ll be one this year. Noticed a few recurve risers at the longbow championship. Your primal tech would have been illegal the first time I shot in the longbow championship and many time afterwards. I went to a rod Jenkins clinic made up of mostly younger shooters and tried hard to get them involved in TBOT. No luck! It takes money to have quality 3D shoots and that comes from membership. I can’t find a lease I can afford anymore. I sure don’t want to lose TBOT because of a lack of interest. Just my two cents and probably worth less.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    Chuck I do not disagree with you at all. However I think limits need to be set. At some point, saying anything goes, will fracture things even worse.
                    Nobody takes an Olympic set up out hunting. A very tiny minority may use a release aid.
                    I have no issue with a raised rest. Or a clicker. Something a hunter may use. No issue with fixed crawl or string walking. The distance is still guessed and they have to execute the shot.
                    However at some point you'll get to where it's like the jack wagon compound shooters who take ten minutes each to get to the line, range and look at the target with binoculars, range again, stare again, pull up, draw and let down six times and basically screw the whole course up for everyone.
                    It's Traditional BOWHUNTERS of Texas. Not target archery. And I believe any changes we make need to keep that in focus or we will lose our core shooters and our legitimacy.

Gary, I do think I remember that shot time limit rules are already in place, and there is a rule disallowing the use of your binos from the shooting marker, which is the only deterrents you need to keep things moving smoothly.

Rick

Comment

Is TBoT organized enough to open a membership wide discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                        Is TBoT organized enough to open a membership wide discussion?

Yes.

They had a forum long ago, but got rid of it (I think) due to not wanting to deal with the debacle forums create at times.

They do have a facebook page, but there's not much discussion on it. Mostly it's just postings of TBoT news, and last I saw they were having some issue with facebook about it, and were supposed to be creating a new page. I haven't seen that new page yet.

Rick

Comment

Well then I guess it's time to open that discussion.

Comment

Wish we would, seems like the was time set aside for that at Vanderpool at one time.

Comment

There was a discussion started on the TBOT FB page a day or so ago, regarding a new class. I know not everyone does FB, so here's the start of it:

"In an effort to bring in more shooters from other organizations how about adding an Open Class starting this year. Anything allowed as long as it doesn't have wheels. A class where anyone can shoot their best setup against everyone elses best setup. String, walk, face walk, crawl, fixed crawl, raised rest, plunger, stabilizer, whatever makes them shoot their best. If people do their job and friend the new people that show up they may end up staying and shooting multiple rounds. I can't think of one way this would hurt traditional archery."

I agree with others who see the opportunity for more single string shooters to become involved in the sport. Like some, I'll continue shooting off the shelf, but will also be encouraging and supportive to anyone who shoots something different than I do. The Bob Lee shoot will have an "everything goes" type class this year, to accommodate the points brought up in the discussion above. We haven't worked out the particulars yet, but it is in the works. We've talked about calling it the "Unlimited" class, and having one for men and women. I don't know that the scores would count toward the overall shooter award, but it would allow shooters to come out and shoot whatever recurve/longbow they have, regardless of setup.

Don't get me wrong. I 100% support TBOT, and the heart of what being a traditional BOWHUNTER means. TBOT shoots aren't designed to be an IBO competition, or ASA, or World Archery, etc. That was never the intention, as far as I understand things. I do see the need to be flexible as far as change goes, or make some adjustments in the way things are done, in order to keep the organization alive and growing.

There are a lot of people spread out over a very large area, and finding an easy way of communicating can be anything BUT easy. Not everyone is on social media, so I don't know the best way to facilitate a membership wide conversation, but if there is anything that Daniel or I can do to help, let us know.
                              Last edited by CamoQuest; 01-05-2023, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X