Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plucking Teal (and other ducks)

Good Lord...

I'm trying to get away from ripping the breasts and thighs off and start keeping more birds whole.

Do any of the drill based rubber fingers work or is that a waste of money? I'd like to pickup a tool to make it easier to knock these out in camp before even bringing them home (except for one wing).

Any special methods by hand that I'm missing aside from just manually ripping feathers out?

Back in the day in south la we used wax dip method , look up cowboys wild game washer it connect to water hose and works really well can get at academy worked wonders on a crap load of doves this season I was impressed

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
      Good Lord...

I'm trying to get away from ripping the breasts and thighs off and start keeping more birds whole.

Do any of the drill based rubber fingers work or is that a waste of money? I'd like to pickup a tool to make it easier to knock these out in camp before even bringing them home (except for one wing).

Any special methods by hand that I'm missing aside from just manually ripping feathers out?

Get a pot of water to 150* and soak the whole birds until the feathers pull east and get to plucking, or get one of those drill pluckers like you are talking about. So em just like a chicken. I’m sure there are plenty of YouTube videos to check out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I use a wax pot. We wax over 1000 birds per season. It’s quick, easy, leaves little mess, and the birds are in great shape for cooking whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

look up videos on old washer tubs with the rubber fingers you can buy online and an electric belt drive motor. I researched different things when we were thinking about getting into the small farm raised chicken business. May be more effort than you are wanting to deal with for flying rats......

Comment

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
            I use a wax pot. We wax over 1000 birds per season. It’s quick, easy, leaves little mess, and the birds are in great shape for cooking whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I am going to look that up, for chickens.

Comment

A cheap and easy trick is just to chill the birds over night on ice or in a freezer. Next day pluck them. And for goodness sake save those hearts, gizzards, and livers!

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Good Lord...

the breast takes no time, just use your thumb and roll them off from neck towards the tail. Better if they're dry too. Teal not much bigger than a dove to me so not much meat other than the breast anyway but they look great when you cook the whole thing. Just clip the wings and legs off at lower joint. Not much help on the back though, any duck those feathers are tough to get out.

Comment

Some outfit used to make a portable unit that set up in the field on a tripod and you hooked it up to your truck or UTV battery. I heard it worked great.

Comment

Down in eagle lake there was lady that would gut and pluck for $3 per bird. We dropped them off, went to eat breakfast came back and she had them all bagged up and ready. That was the ticket!

Comment

The drill plucker works great as long as you have hot water . I use one for quail,chickens and ducks .

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        Some outfit used to make a portable unit that set up in the field on a tripod and you hooked it up to your truck or UTV battery. I heard it worked great.
                        That sounds perfect. I always have an extra starting battery in the boat, or could just use one of the trolling motor batteries.

Comment

wax is the best. hot water will help a little but not as good as the wax. I Have also used a tumbler style with the rubber fingers.. that thing would cover you up in feathers

Like a big version of this. http://thefowlplucker.com/

Comment

Skin em like any other animal and don't worry about the feathers. I've never cleaned ducks, but I'll never pluck another chicken.

Comment

Discover VEVOR Chicken Poultry Plucker 2200W 240R/min Turkey Chicken Poultry Plucking Machine 23.5inch Barrel Diameter Stainless Steel Feather Plucking Machine with Wheels Defeather Hair Removal Machine, High-Efficiency Machine and Durable Stainless Steel at lowest price, 2days delivery, 30days returns.

These aren't cheap but worth every penny.

I haven't used it on ducks but on meat chickens ids amazing.

20-30 seconds they come out smooth.

Comment

Working...
                              X