Camo paint removal…help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camo paint removal…help needed

How do I remove this paint without messing the bow up? This is an old Damon Howatt Black Mamba and I’d like to restore it back to its natural state. Any advice out there is appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goo gone

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Sherman Williams had paint removers

Comment

Maybe take it down there and find the correct paint remover for wood

Comment

Or use 0000 steel wool???
          Just spitballin

Comment

x2 on Goo Gone. You may also try WD-40. Spray it on and leave it for 4 or 5 min. then wipe it off. May have to apply a little elbow grease.

Comment

Goo-gone, WD40 & oven cleaner will all work. Scotch bright pads and a bunch of paper towels or rags.

Nice old bow!

Comment

Steel wool, elbow grease.

Comment

Try some of the high percentage rubbing alcohol. Paint thinner also works. Just be aware that the hotter the product, the more likely it is that you will be doing a full restore. That isn't the end of the world and may actually be faster than trying to just remove the camo paint. Care must be taken until you locate the specs and the screen print and get that area gently cleaned and taped over. Then you can sand the entire bow, wipe it down, and go back with fresh finish of your choice. If you are interested, I have a pdf file that will walk you through the process.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                    Try some of the high percentage rubbing alcohol. Paint thinner also works. Just be aware that the hotter the product, the more likely it is that you will be doing a full restore. That isn't the end of the world and may actually be faster than trying to just remove the camo paint. Care must be taken until you locate the specs and the screen print and get that area gently cleaned and taped over. Then you can sand the entire bow, wipe it down, and go back with fresh finish of your choice. If you are interested, I have a pdf file that will walk you through the process.

I would love the pdf file!! My email is firecapt39b@yahoo.com. Thank you very much!!

Comment

Thanks for help everyone!

Comment

You should have it shortly.

Comment

I percentage peroxide or high percentage Isopropyl alcohol will do it.

Comment

I camo spray painted a Red Wing Hunter years ago, and wanted to clean it up before giving it to my son. Rob Lee from Bob Lee Archery told me to use lacquer thinner. Worked like a charm. Amazing solvent.

That's what I'd do.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                              You should have it shortly.

Got it thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X