Hemi MDS system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hemi MDS system

Anyone have issues with this system? If not I guess it’ll be something you will have issues with. Trucks in the shop now for a collapsed lifter that of course chewed up the cam shaft. 153,000 miles on the truck.

I have the maxcare warranty that is hopefully approved to cover the cost. Crazy thing is all parts in stock so seems to be a common issue and now I hear other hemis driving around and can tell they have a collapsed lifter.

Just heads up to the hemi guys it’ll happen eventually just get your pocket book ready.

Scott

The Chevy MDS has the same issue. Even if you disable it you may have the failure. Roll of the dice for us truck owners because of EPA restrictions. These trucks are time bombs now, maybe they go 500k with no issue, and some don't make it 50k.

Comment

My 2014 has had Hemi Tick since it hit around 95k, currently 111k on it currently.

It's been a good truck but I'll probably be trading it off within the next year after we buy our new house. Would like to actually get another one and disable the MDS but I'll likely bump up to a 2500 or an F250 because I do have use for a diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
        Anyone have issues with this system? If not I guess it’ll be something you will have issues with. Trucks in the shop now for a collapsed lifter that of course chewed up the cam shaft. 153,000 miles on the truck.

I have the maxcare warranty that is hopefully approved to cover the cost. Crazy thing is all parts in stock so seems to be a common issue and now I hear other hemis driving around and can tell they have a collapsed lifter.

Just heads up to the hemi guys it’ll happen eventually just get your pocket book ready.

Scott
        I had a 2012 with that exact problem. First time it happened was at 94K miles. Dealer rebuilt HALF of engine on their dime. Service manager told me real common in Hemi's and Chevy's due to cam issues with the MDS system. It started happening again at 130K miles so I traded it in.

Comment

Funny thing is you don’t get any better mpg. With it

Comment

151,000 on my 2012 Hemi, no issues. But I do have the lifetime warranty so bring it on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You might have max are, but after 7 years or 150,000 miles the rental truck is on your dime.

It’s a design that will fail, it’s just when unfortunately.

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
              151,000 on my 2012 Hemi, no issues. But I do have the lifetime warranty so bring it on!

Comment

Just you wait lol I’m out a rental car and you need to approve the disassembly of your motor knowing if they deny your claim your out the cost to take it apart then you need to pay to fix it or get back a truck in pieces.

Maxcare used to be easier now you need to jump through hoops

Comment

Just you wait lol I’m out a rental car and you need to approve the disassembly of your motor knowing if they deny your claim your out the cost to take it apart then you need to pay to fix it or get back a truck in pieces.

Maxcare used to be easier now you need to jump through hoops

Not sure which one I have but I’m way ahead of the game. It simply amazed me at what all it covers. Only thing I’ve had to pay for is a battery, brakes and tires. We’ll see I guess but been very happy so far. If it gets to bad I’ll get rid of it.

Comment

Not sure which one I have but I’m way ahead of the game. It simply amazed me at what all it covers. Only thing I’ve had to pay for is a battery, brakes and tires. We’ll see I guess but been very happy so far. If it gets to bad I’ll get rid of it.

Yea i have $100 deductible after all this. It covers everything except wearable parts basically. I think we have the same one. Ive used it for multiple radios, 2 replacement dashes, a mirror LED light and now the valve train if they approve it. Still waiting on the third party person to take a look at the engine.

Comment

I have never seen any message indicating or felt the MDS kick in on my wife's 2016 Limited Laramie.

I would like to believe it's disabled, but if so I didn't do it.

Comment

What is involved in disabling the mds on the hemis? My 2500 with the 6.4 has it and I hate it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                          I have never seen any message indicating or felt the MDS kick in on my wife's 2016 Limited Laramie.

I would like to believe it's disabled, but if so I didn't do it.

If you have a hemi you have it. When the little Eco emblem is on in your dash it’s running on 4 cyl. It switches back and forth a ton

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
                            What is involved in disabling the mds on the hemis? My 2500 with the 6.4 has it and I hate it.
                            Buying a tuner would allow you to disable it. Just not sure if that will fix the issue or not. Seems like a flawed system by both Chevy and dodge. Hemi engines before this system are great motors.

Comment

If you have a hemi you have it. When the little Eco emblem is on in your dash it’s running on 4 cyl. It switches back and forth a ton

That’s the thing we’ve never seen.

I have seen it on YouTube videos, just not on her dash-ever.

Plus I’ve never felt or seen a rise or drop in rpms at cruising speed or felt any sort of indication that half my power just left or returned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X