Social Security Scam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Social Security Scam

Received a call from Friendswood, TX. It was a computer generated voice initially stating my SSN had been used fraudulently on the South Texas border then prompted me to press 1 to speak with someone, so I did. It was a heavily accented woman asking what help I needed so I told her what I was told by the computer voice. She asked for my SSN to verify who I was and I declined, asking her to mail me the detailed information. She hung up immediately.

sadly these scam idiots will be successful in talking advantage of the elderly or people who are not aware of this scam

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...-your-benefits

…… " We’ve seen a new twist on the Social Security Administration (SSA) scam recently. Check out this SSA imposter robocall, which says your benefits will end. (That’s not true, by the way.)

If you get a call like this, do not press 1. Instead, just hang up and remember:
    •Your Social Security number is not about to be suspended.
    •The real Social Security Administration will never call to threaten your benefits.
    •The real SSA will never tell you to wire money, send cash, or put money on a gift card.

The Social Security Administration scam is the number one scam reported to the FTC right now. People filed nearly 73,000 reports about Social Security imposters in the first six months of 2019, with reported losses of $17 million. (You can explore the data about imposter scams and losses at ftc.gov/exploredata.)

So if you’re getting these calls, you’re not alone. Tell your friends and neighbors about this scam. Tell them to hang up the phone. And then to report it to the Federal Trade Commission." ………..

Comment

I dont even answer calls/numbers that are not in my phone.....99% dont even leave messages. Then I block that number!!! It is down right ridiculous when you get 3 per week in Cantonese!!![emoji34]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

New Apple IOS has a option that sends every phone call from a number not in your contacts directly to voicemail.

Comment

Originally posted by TXUSMC View Post
          Received a call from Friendswood, TX. It was a computer generated voice initially stating my SSN had been used fraudulently on the South Texas border then prompted me to press 1 to speak with someone, so I did. It was a heavily accented woman asking what help I needed so I told her what I was told by the computer voice. She asked for my SSN to verify who I was and I declined, asking her to mail me the detailed information. She hung up immediately.
          What accent?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
            New Apple IOS has a option that sends every phone call from a number not in your contacts directly to voicemail.
            to turn on go to Settings - Phone - Silence Unknown Callers

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
              What accent?
              Filipino if I had to guess.

Comment

I got the same call and pressed 1 to speak to a representative. She answered and said what I can help you with today. i replied with, "you called me, so what is the problem that I have?". She immediately hung up on me.

Comment

3 times in 2 hours today. Pretty much double click any calls not in my phone book

Comment

Get that call weekly. Have for a long time. Block it and they use another number. Always pops up Friendswood.

Comment

I use Hiya to block calls (along with the iPhone). At the house, we get a lot of our callers from Garwood, and that appears to be a hole in the wall place with few occupants. Again, we block them, but they use a bunch of different numbers.

Comment

My wife got this call a few days ago I laughed she didn’t see the humor I said is a scam

Comment

I got one from New Zealand from the IRS....

Comment

Since I don't have caller ID ib my landline, I have an electronic secretary who answers my landline . It is basically a recording of my voice saying:

"Hi, this is Mike. If you are calling from an automated dialing machine, then my automated answering machine is talking to your automated dialing machine. But if your a real person, and wish to speak with me, please leave a message. And I will get back with you quickly. Thanks!"

Most of the calls hang up when it gets to the end of "...my automated answering machine is talking to your automated dialing machine."

I hardly ever answer the landline any more. And screen my calls. But if it's a real person I know, I'll pick it up while they are leaving a message.

Comment

Working...
                            X