Recs on hanging elk above fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recs on hanging elk above fireplace

The wait is finally over and I just picked up my elk from the taxidermist. I’m going to hang it on my stone fireplace, but need suggestions on how everyone thinks would be the best way. The total weight of the mount is 59#. Stopped at Home Depot on my way home from the shop, but they didn’t have too many options that I felt would work well. Any of the “sleeve-type” anchors were too short to be comfortable. Considered a Tapcon bolt, but have no experience with them and didn’t know how they’d hold up to the down/outward force being put on the head with just being a bare bolt. Any recommendations would be awesome! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wont be able to make a logical suggestion without seeing the whole elk.

A small wedge anchor would be overkill but def wouldn't let that elk go anywhere.

Comment

Got the horns detachable for ease of transport.

Comment

Thicker diameter tapcon should do the trick.

Comment

I have the same situation and my taxidermist hung several in stone. I have done it as well. Use a masonary but and drill a pilot hole with slight downward angle. Then put one of the big blue masonary screws in to the hole. They will self tap in the rock. It works great!

Comment

Start by getting rid of that cheap *** corner bracket and put a real hanger on it.

McKenzie sells a hanger called "peace of mind", that is made specifically for mounts like that.

As far as anchoring it to the fire place, I'd use a hilti type bolt. The tapcons, will work, but to me seem a little more finicky to get them to hold. You don't need a big one, something in the 1/4" range is plenty big.

Comment

Originally posted by stx View Post
              Thicker diameter tapcon should do the trick.
              Thanks. I was thinking of a 3/8"x3-4". Stones are 4" thick. Would I need to add any sort of compound/mortar around it as I'm screwing it in, or is the bare bolt in a properly sized hole enough?

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                I have the same situation and my taxidermist hung several in stone. I have done it as well. Use a masonary but and drill a pilot hole with slight downward angle. Then put one of the big blue masonary screws in to the hole. They will self tap in the rock. It works great!
                Great, Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  Start by getting rid of that cheap *** corner bracket and put a real hanger on it.

McKenzie sells a hanger called "peace of mind", that is made specifically for mounts like that.

As far as anchoring it to the fire place, I'd use a hilti type bolt. The tapcons, will work, but to me seem a little more finicky to get them to hold. You don't need a big one, something in the 1/4" range is plenty big.
                  Thanks! I'll look up that bracket. Appreciate the advice!

Comment

Here are some examples I hung with masonary screws if tapacrap works.

Comment

Doc's showing off again...............I would too!

I got a 6" x6" metal plate and welded two 1/4" rods to it. That allowed me to mount the plate with as many screws or whatever as i wanted.
                      Last edited by Dave W; 09-12-2019, 03:06 PM. Reason: added

Comment

Get the Tapcons with the hex head, rather than phillips. The phillips have a tapered shoulder that you don't want, the hex heads will hold better in the metal bracket.

Comment

The screws we used were the hex heads but were tapered and not squared at the head. Made me nervous but my taxi assured me they would work and is what he used. I left plenty of screw out to hold the mount and made sure I had some upward angle.

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                            The screws we used were the hex heads but were tapered and not squared at the head. Made me nervous but my taxi assured me they would work and is what he used. I left plenty of screw out to hold the mount and made sure I had some upward angle.
                            Nice pics! What size screws did you use? 1/4", 3/8", etc?

Comment

Gig’em fellow Aggie Docs! ER physician class of ‘05. Great looking mounts. I need to show my wife this thread so she quits worrying about all the mounts in the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X