No announcement yet.

Dads and Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took my first ride at about 6 years old on the back of my uncle’s motorcycle in Pakistan. You think drivers here in the U.S. are scary? Drivers in a third-world country are downright terrifying. Regardless, I was hooked. I grew up watching Ponch ride around on his Kawi in ChiPs and had a BigWheel that looked just like it. One of my friend’s stepdads owned a softail and I remember we used to just go out to the garage and stare at it.. we weren’t allowed to “touch” the Hog. I’ve had a long love affair with motorcycles. I always wanted one, and against my mother’s wishes, I finally got one when I was about 21. I can’t even remember how many I have owned now.

If you’re not really passionate about it, and you don’t feel like you need to do it.. don’t do it. There’s plenty of other fun and probably less dangerous things you could pursue. Like the fellow above recommending jet skis said.

But if you were to choose to ride.. I have to tell you, it is an exhilarating feeling of freedom and spirituality all rolled into a two-wheeled package of rubber, metal, and exceptional power-to-weight ratio.

A lot of folks on here keep saying, it’s not about you.. it’s the other people on the road you have to worry about. Yes. That is true, but as a motorcyclist, you can’t just expect people to do the right thing. Your level of attention needs to be many times higher than what it is when you drive a car. On a motorcycle, lots of things can kill you. Things you wouldn’t even think about in a car. Like debris on the road, improper tire pressure or a blowout, an oil spill, and most of all the inattentive drivers. As a motorcyclist, you have to be extra vigilant, and anticipate everything that could go wrong. I have had close calls. I am sure every rider has, but there’s a level of attention and respect for the machine as well as understanding your limits that keeps close calls from becoming disasters.

Some folks said that safety courses don’t cut it. You still need to take a safety course. And then practice and exercise good judgment. Know your limits. Know yourself. Are you pretty clumsy? Maybe don’t ride. Do you have a good sense of balance? Are you a good bicyclist? Know how to drive stick? You might do just fine. Safety courses are important, basic level and advanced. When your life is on the line, you can’t expect others to be looking out for you, you have to look out for yourself AND the other rider/driver/obstacle/whatever.

Safety gear is incredibly important. Helmets make the difference between life and death when the accident comes. Not all accidents are crazy 90 mph with the rider flying thru the air and dying or ending up in a vegetative state. People cite that old saying about 2 types of riders.. those that have been down and those that are going down. Sure. A lot of riders have been down at 5mph in a parking lot. Wasn’t necessarily glamorous but it serves as a reminder to pay attention. I wasn’t always the best about wearing a helmet. Everyone always wants to look cool. When I had my first kid, something changed. I began wearing a helmet religiously. I stopped worrying about keeping up with my friends if they were riding in a manner that I felt was unsafe. As long as you pay attention, gear up, and ride your own ride, you ought to be fine.

Motorcycles are extremely agile vehicles if you learn to ride and maintain them properly. The sad reality is that many motorcyclists learn how to ride and are prepared for normal conditions, but never think about practicing accident avoidance. Most people learn how to ride straight, turn, and stop.. but don’t bother learning how to swerve, or how to stop quickly and suddenly.. or.. how to speed up to avoid an accident.

I’ve got 2 sons. One is 2 and the other one is 4. I wouldn’t try to force them to like motorcycles, but if they one day decided they’d like to ride.. I would consider myself blessed to be able to ride alongside my boys.

You don’t have to be a statistic. If you use your head. Choosing to ride is a very personal decision and no one can really tell you what to do. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

Edit: I ended up buying the Harley from my friend’s stepdad

Comment

I stopped riding often once I settled down and especially after our son was born. I just had a hard time finding time for riding the way I liked to. I preferred to be out for a long, all day Saturday ride rather than just quick jaunts here and there. I eventually sold my bike, mainly because I just didn't get to enjoy it the way I had before. I have no doubt that as life settles down and the kids get a little older I'll be back in the saddle. Riding was like hunting for me; it was time for me to be alone, quiet, reflective, and at the same time completely engaged. Obviously there is good reason to consider the safety and wisdom behind choosing to ride, but there is a great deal to be said about taking care of one's mental health as well. You never see a Harley outside a shrinks office... unless it belongs to the shrink of course. Be sure to take a safety course and never get complacent.

Comment

Just do what you feel is right. Been riding on and off for 30 years. Have owned several motorcycles. Rode one 10 hours a day for 5 years, as part of my job. Lost friends and had some seriously injured related to bike accidents, or shall I say mistakes made while riding motorcycles. And to cars who ran into them.

But I have also lost friends and family in car crashes. I have three boys and rode a lot while they were younger. Family, work commitments and my desire to limit my chances at a painful recovery, time lost from work, or death.

Will I ever have another? I dont know. I think about it all the time, as a big part of my life and career involved riding. And I do miss it every day.

Just get some good instruction, and dont stop at the rider safety course. Actually take some advanced classes. Make friends with some PD motor officers and ask them if they allow anyone to come out when they train. If they let ya, go learn some things from them about bike control.

I know guys who have ridden for most of their life, and when I explain just a few things to them.....they didn't realize they could manipulate or control their bikes in such a manner once they learn some additional skills.

Most riders dont realize what causes A LOT of bike crashes. Improper brake, clutch and throttle control, panicking and locking up but not keeping it locked and riding out of it (if you let off your brakes in a lock up, it will usually end up with you high siding your bike and getting tossed, etc). And other ways you can avoid making those mistakes when you get in a bind.

Good luck and stay safe!

Comment

I rode my entire life until I had a kid then started riding again after he was grown and gone. The problem was that the wife decided she loved riding with me and I knew as long as I've ridden my turn to crash had to be getting close. I couldn't live with myself if I crashed with her on the back so I sold it. I miss it sometimes but not enough to buy another one. It's all personal choice.

Comment

Well....we all will go sometime. 43 years of legal ridingand 4 kids. You can get killed in so many ways. But only live once. Only advice I can give is life insurance. So when it happens kids and wife are ok...

Comment

The advanced rider course that the Air Force had for us in Japan was similar to this school. After 3 days I was doing some really fun stuff.

Comment

I'm 39 with 3 kids... 11, 12, and one about to get married. I've had a few bikes and bought a new Harley about a year ago. I ride every chance I get and don't worry about dying or getting injured. I'm also not naive to the fact that those things are a real possibility every time I ride. I have an appointed time and it might be on a bike, in a car, in a tree, or face down in an A1 Thick & Hearty at Whataburger. I ride safe and control what I can control and don't sweat the rest. I respect folks decision to not ride because of fear that something may happen but I'm the adrenaline junkie that bungee jumps, sky dives and rides Harley's If you feel uncomfortable getting the bike and your gut tells you it's not a good idea, then don't get it. Otherwise, take a safety course...practice, practice, practice, ride safe, and have fun. Life is short...

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
                    Motorcycles are for young adults with no kids and retirees. JMO.
                    This. Especially if you’ve never ridden. I grew up on motorcycles and love em. But they’re too dangerous for a man with a family and responsibility

Comment

Here are some stats for all the "they are too dangerous for responsbile adults/dads".

- Motorcycles: 4,957 motorcyclists were killed on American roads in 2012.
                      - Alcohol: 25,692 people were killed in the U.S. by alcohol poisoning in 2010.
                      - Smoking: 440,000 people in the U.S. are killed each year due to tobacco-related illnesses.
                      - The Flu: 48,614 Americans were killed by the flu during the 2003-04 season.
                      - Texting: NHTSA estimates that 24 percent of crashes involved drivers talking or texting on cell phones. That’s 7,247 deaths caused by phone use in 2010 alone.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                        Here are some stats for all the "they are too dangerous for responsbile adults/dads".

- Smoking: 440,000 people in the U.S. are killed each year due to tobacco-related illnesses.
                        - Texting: NHTSA estimates that 24 percent of crashes involved drivers talking or texting on cell phones. That’s 7,247 deaths caused by phone use in 2010 alone.
                        And your point is? I'll ride one when they make a bike that can beat my f250 in a crash test.

Hoggslayer

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                          There are 2 kinds of riders, those that have fallen and those that are gonna fall.i was a police motorcycle officer and my last wreck retired me! A kids who’s gps told him turn here cut right in front of my bike from the wrong lane , I was beat up damaged my c2,3,4 and my rotator cuff closed head injury. Never forget the look on my young kids face 6 and 3 when I got home from the hospital. I was a 50 years old and they were my first and only kids and wife. Think on it long and hard my wife and kids would’ve been taken care of and given a real nice flag and funeral procession but my kids and wife would be without me. I’ve owned a bike my entire life but I promise no more cause I can’t turn my neck far enough to ride competently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          OP, head the words that the above gentlemen wrote. I rode for 10 years...loved it. Will never ride again because everyone is out to kill you. Riding a motorcycle in the day and age of texting is akin to suicide. Don’t be a selfish *****, live for your children.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                            You do what you want... It's still a free country...…
                            I've ridden all my life.. But no more...…..
                            I will say this... You could be the best rider in the world....
                            That don't matter, if you some day meet the worst.....

HEAR THIS... There are two kinds of bike riders...…
                            Those, that have had wrecks....
                            And those, that are gonna have wrecks...
                            OP, the gentleman who wrote the above is giving you gospel truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                              I'm 39 with 3 kids... 11, 12, and one about to get married. I've had a few bikes and bought a new Harley about a year ago. I ride every chance I get and don't worry about dying or getting injured. I'm also not naive to the fact that those things are a real possibility every time I ride. I have an appointed time and it might be on a bike, in a car, in a tree, or face down in an A1 Thick & Hearty at Whataburger. I ride safe and control what I can control and don't sweat the rest. I respect folks decision to not ride because of fear that something may happen but I'm the adrenaline junkie that bungee jumps, sky dives and rides Harley's If you feel uncomfortable getting the bike and your gut tells you it's not a good idea, then don't get it. Otherwise, take a safety course...practice, practice, practice, ride safe, and have fun. Life is short...

Nicely started sir...

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post

Yup

Comment

Working...
                                X