338 Federal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

338 Federal

Anyone shooting a bolt action 338 Federal?

I don't personally own one but my bud in KS has a Kimber Montana in 338 Federal. He loads 225gr Accubonds and has killed a pile of elk with it. He killed a big boar hog on our place in Foard County a few years ago and it did a number on him. His handloads are extremely accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      I don't personally own one but my bud in KS has a Kimber Montana in 338 Federal. He loads 225gr Accubonds and has killed a pile of elk with it. He killed a big boar hog on our place in Foard County a few years ago and it did a number on him. His handloads are extremely accurate.
      Any comparison on the recoil in that lighter weight rifle?

Comment

Is there really any ballistic advantages over a heavy weight.308?

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
          Is there really any ballistic advantages over a heavy weight.308?
          Heavier bullet. Same speed.

Comment

I just picked up a Savage model 11 in 338 Fed. I loaded up some 200grn Speer soft points for it but I haven't gotten around to shooting it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrail18 View Post
              I just picked up a Savage model 11 in 338 Fed. I loaded up some 200grn Speer soft points for it but I haven't gotten around to shooting it yet.
              I was looking at the Savage 16 Weather Warrior.

How do you like the stock?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                I was looking at the Savage 16 Weather Warrior.

How do you like the stock?
                Honestly, the stock is terrible. Typical hollow sounding tupperware stock, but I knew that going in. I picked it up new as a combo with a 3-9 bushnell scope for around $300. Once is figure out where I can find a decent wood stock I'm going to swap it out.

Comment

Do a search, this question has come up before here.

I have a Kimber Montana that I topped with a 2-8 Leopold (I think). The entire setup weighs just over 6 pounds and I love it. I took a huge nilgai with one shot, dropped him. Was it the caliber or shot placement? Well the caliber did not hinder me!
                  The Kimber stock design is very stiff, rigid and light. It does not kick with a sharp bite but more like a mild push. Mine shoots several factory loads very accurately but I have not hand loaded for it and I do not spend a lot of time bench shooting.

Its a bit much for Hill Country WT but next to my original Sendero .270 it is one of my favorite rifles.

Tim

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by GigEm'15 View Post
                      Any comparison on the recoil in that lighter weight rifle?
                      It's is definitely stouter than a 308 but I wouldn't say it's anything crazy. I'm not very recoil sensitive so I may not be a good source for opinions on that front.

Comment

Years ago I had a local gunsmith build me a .338 WSM using a 300 WSM case. There were no SAAMI spec for it at the time and RCBS made me a custom set of loading dies stamped .338WSM. I used the expander to blow out 300WSM cases to make my ammo. This wildcat has since been renamed the 338/300 and all reloading dies are now stamped 338/300. I used the Lazzaroni Galaxy load data and was getting 3240 fps muzzle on 200 gr nosler accubond bullets. Several versions of big bore short action calibers have come out since and the .338 Federal is one of them although it uses a smaller volume .308 case. Over 2800 fps is danged good for such a small case and big bullet of the 338 Federal.
                        These .338 bullets are real hammers on any game. My favorite and most accurate bullets are the Barnes TSX in 185gr pushed to 3000 fps. I love what this Barnes bullet does on a big hogs shoulder. You can hear the impact for miles and hog drops DRT. Surprisingly these .338 bullets for all their impact energy do very little meat damage compared to something like a 7 mag, 300 win mag or other HV calibers.

Comment

I rebored a savage hog hunter to .358 Winchester and it does a number on hogs.

Comment

Originally posted by WTJim View Post
                            I rebored a savage hog hunter to .358 Winchester and it does a number on hogs.
                            I had a XP100 built in 358 Winchester.

Back to OP, my friend has 338 Federal and its not bad, but I would just get a 308 as there is much more variety and availabilty in ammo for 308.

I am not the brightest individual on here about guns and calibers but I think I would rather have a 35 Whelen with 250 gr boolits than 338 Fed with 250 gr.

Comment

I have a 358 Winchester and everything is DRT but recoil is more than 308.

Comment

Working...
                              X