Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 10-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #1
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

Hunt In: Public Land,Zapata County
Default Iron Will Broadheads

Iím looking at these broadheads real hard. $100 for 3 is a lot of money, but the material theyíre made of and the warranty canít be beat.

Does any one shoot these? I would like some opinions on them, although truth be told, Iím probably gonna get them eventually, I know myself. Unless something better comes along before I get them.

Grumpy
Grumpyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
Witchita
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Van Zandt county, Val Verde County

Have a friend that shoots them and he likes how they fly and the sharpness of the blades. However, Magnus broadheads have probably the best warranty for blades. I have sent back over a dozen and they replace them no questions asked. If they bend, break, or go dull. Just an extra thought to confuse you more haha
Witchita is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 11:04 AM   #3
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

Thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 05:37 PM   #4
Outlaw_6
Pope & Young

Hunt In: LA and "The H"

They do fly great. I have shot them with the same POI as field points out to fifty yards. Just donít expect to get away with not spin testing them or tuning your bow. They will still let you know if anything is off.

My only complaint with them is I have had trouble getting the blade retaining screw to fit flush after replacing the blades on a couple. However, that may just be me.

I do have to give them credit for a quick recovery on this 130lb doe this weekend. I made a bad shot - 100% my fault - and hit her high in the liver. She went only about 50yds as the crow flies and I heard her crash from the stand.

When I opened her up, the liver was in pieces and her body cavity was full of blood.

Just my experience with them . . .

FYI
Iím shooting the S200ís with 180gr Ethics Archery inserts/outserts on the end of Black Eagle X-Impacts. Total arrow weight is 670gr.

Outlaw_6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

The solids are the ones I'm looking at. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #6
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

They are good heads but not indestructible
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
NF HUNTER
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF

I use the Magnus Stinger killer Bee 125gr 2 blade and it flys just like the field points. I also like the warranty you break it they replace it.
NF HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:01 PM   #8
Tom
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocky Mountains, Africa

bone broadheads and Abowyer fly outstanding in the strong wind. These are my choice over anything.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:24 PM   #9
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

I have several of these. Probably 18 all together. 125 solid, 100 solid, and 100 vented. Yeah, I have an issue... lol. Here is my take on them.

They are scary sharp. Like be careful or you will need stitches sharp. And they stay that way. I used one for a practice head and 50 shots later into foam it would still shave hair. They also fly like darts with field points as long as your bow is broad head tuned and you have proper spined arrows. Iíve shot them to 70 and had a 2Ē group with field points and iron wills.

They are not bomb proof though. I broke a bleeder blade off one and damaged the tip when I center punched a rock with one. (Missed an elk last year) I ended up killing an elk last year with a slick trick. I grabbed the ring arrow in my quiver. I killed an elk this year with the 100 grain solid. Slightly quartering and hit high behind the shoulder at 22 yards. Arrow deflected hard off a rib and came out the rear hind quarter. Not bad penetration on a 850 pound animal. The head did take some damage but itís extremely minimal and you would have to look hard to see it. It took the very very tip off of one bleeder and the bottom tip off one side of a main blade. I would have no issue putting this head back in my quiver and shooting it again just like it is. I will say that the blood trail was minimal, but it was also high lung with a hind quarter exit. And regardless of what head you shoot into and elk, if itís high, they donít bleed Bc the cavity in them is so large.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #10
muddyfuzzy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Parts Unknown

No head is is bullet proof, none of them. Honestly a warranty is the last thing I consider when selecting a broadhead, matter of fact I shoot Simmons and Strickland and I donít even really know their warranty policy. Ironwill makes a great product and even though Stingers have been around for a long time and taken a ton of game they arenít really in the same class as the Ironwill. The blades are relatively thin and can be prone to tip curling and the aluminum ferrule is simply a no go for me. OP since you just dropped a wad on a new Vertix I would turn my nose up at the price tag on the Ironwillís, you got to pay to play IMO. Buy once cry once they say....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #11
Grumpyfoot
Four Point

Muddy us you, you’re right. Very well stated. I think you just put what I’ve been thinking into words.

Like I said, I know I’m getting these broadheads, I just wanted to hear from members of this forum who have used them.

Thank you
Old 10-16-2019, 08:55 PM   #12
Loneaggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County

I love them! About to order another pack. Check out the penetration on my last boar:
https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...d.php?t=746013

I have one IW that has been through 3 pigs, hit rocks, hit a steel feeder leg, and bounced through a cattle panel.... still in the quiver, still spins, and I just keep killing stuff with it. I have the V100s but I'm going to buy a pack of S100s. I have also used the warranty, and had no issues. I can honestly say not overpriced for me.... I spend $100 just driving to the lease.... if I couldn't afford them I'd just shoot black hornets.
Loneaggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2019, 09:14 PM   #13
bowhunting1
Six Point

Hunt In: The trees high above.

Best flying and penetrating broadhead I've shot. I've had two tips roll however and the retained sharpness through hogs has not been what I hoped for. The damaged ones were replaced no problem. Otherwise, a quality built head and can get them very sharp. Vented version is noisy. Black Hornets have proven just as durable for me but with slightly less penetration.

Last edited by bowhunting1; 10-16-2019 at 09:17 PM.
bowhunting1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top